Author Topic: GTI MK8 infotainment questions  (Read 4052 times)

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
Re: GTI MK8 infotainment questions
« Reply #20 on: 02 January 2022, 12:38 »
Many thanks Exonian, reasurring words. :smiley:  I think I need to see one live in action, which I will try to arrange.  In the meantime, I'll just man up and look forward to it arriving although that probably won't be for another 8/9 months, which might be a good thing as all the glitches should hopefully be resolved. :grin: 

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #21 on: 04 January 2022, 11:21 »
  I'm useless with ipads, smart phones etc. and the thought of everything being controlled through a "computer screen", combined with all the glitches that everybody is having was making me have massive 2nd thoughts about my order.  I was also concerned with the safety aspect of making adjustments whilst driving. 

Anyhow, your comments are reassuring so I'll leave my order for the moment and in the meantime I'll try and see if I can get a demo at my local VW dealer.

You manage to get on here Trev and post up comments so you’re not totally hopeless with tech!  :grin: :afro:

A little bit of familiarity with the system is all it takes. There are a lot of sub menus you’ll use once or twice and never again, just like on a mobile phone, iPad, laptop or whatever. Once the car is set up how you want it, that’s it.
Moving between any of the different series of Golf sees certain controls placed differently or operated differently. Mk2 heater sliders becoming mk3 rotary controls moving gradually to climate control buttons and wheels, now haptics and screens.
Kind of reminds me of a grandfather passing comment to his grandchild who is sat playing a video game, “in my day you’d be out in the fresh air, getting pram wheels and wood from the dump to make a go-kart using your dad’s tools” then half an hour later the kid would be showing grandad how to set up his iPad and make use of the apps. Each a child of their time, each using the tools of their day to get by in their respective worlds.
A bit of mental adjustment and regular use works wonders.
A press on the climate hotkey will bring up the screen, it’s best to familiarise with it a little before moving off as like any new series of Golf, you don’t want to be taking your eyes off the road even briefly once underway, so you do need to know roughly where each individual control is by memory.
Resting fingers on top of the screen and poking with your thumb is the most accurate way once on the move.

If you ever drove a Mark 4 with climate control they were the most un-intuitive set of buttons set far too low for normal use. The amount of times i had to take my eyes off the road to change the temperature (It also didn't seem to regulate the temperature that well. The Mk8 is far better at least the controls are at eye level!

People overthink the controls on the mk8 far too much.

To de-mist the front screen there is an illuminated ‘button’ on the light switch control pad alongside the rear de-mister.
Any more complex choices such as directing warm air to feet are done via a hotkey button in the centre of the dash under the iPad unit which will pull up a full display of options on the screen. It’s relatively easy to use that on the move, certainly no worse than reaching down trying to stab buttons located just above the central console. The icons are clear and more or less in your line of vision.

Agree with the top part of this quote and the online reviewers seemingly looking for click bait don't help either!

The demist button it took me far too long looking through the menus with a misted over front and rear screen before I realised these buttons existed!!!  :rolleyes:
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 04 January 2022, 18:20 »
Foxy, the light switch pad is probably not the most obvious place (understatement) to look for the de-mist functions when the other climate functions are grouped elsewhere. I’d imagine most people find them by accident.

I *think* I can just about remember the mk4 climate, if memory serves me correctly it’s a DIN sized panel full of small buttons just above the ashtray (remember those?!)
My mk4 just had normal aircon but I had a good test drive in a V6 4Mo trying to decide whether I wanted one.

Damian, I’ve not had an issue like that before! Mind you I prefer wired connection as the camera lenses make the phone move around too much on the wireless causing phone charging/phone not charging/phone charging/phone not charging all the time.
I’ve definitely not seen Apple Pay come up.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #23 on: 04 January 2022, 18:40 »
Yeah the demist button for the windscreen eluded me for over 6 months... was previously rummaging in the menus... which does work but not as quickly as pressing the button!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 04 January 2022, 20:49 »
Yes. Eco tips. Can't remember where the option is but it's definitely there.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline DoomedHippie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 05 January 2022, 10:44 »
https://youtu.be/kAYQGc1sSH0

Just watched this regarding steering wheel/button less controls. Genuinely, I think he sums it up really well. Having done a little over 1000 miles in mine now, it's not the controls that frustrate me, it's the glitches in the software!

Offline Verve34

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 05 January 2022, 11:42 »

Ohh I never knew you can turn that off  I’ll have to look into this immediately  :grin: :grin: :grin:
67 Polo GTI Reflex Silver
19 Polo GTI+ Black
70  Golf GTI Performance Pure White
21 Golf Clubsport Dolphin Grey

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #27 on: 05 January 2022, 14:22 »

Just watched this regarding steering wheel/button less controls. Genuinely, I think he sums it up really well. Having done a little over 1000 miles in mine now, it's not the controls that frustrate me, it's the glitches in the software!

Couldn't agree more 6 months of life with my Golf and I really quite like the haptic steering wheel controls and the last few weeks its been cold enough for the heated steering wheel to come on each time so I Can't even do that by mistake!

Its like anything new it just takes time to get used to
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 05 January 2022, 18:53 »

Ohh I never knew you can turn that off  I’ll have to look into this immediately  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Press the assist button, press the three lines (aka hamburger... Top left) and scroll down to "eco assist", click on it to turn it off.

I did it tonight... I'd turned it back on when petrol was hard to find.

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 05 January 2022, 18:59 »

Quite interesting but there are a few things he's not realised too... Its not that the system is complex it's just that there are some shortcuts you might not realise.