Author Topic: New Member - Hoping to become GTI Owner Imminently  (Read 745 times)

Offline MichaelMK8GTI

• Just got here
New Member - Hoping to become GTI Owner Imminently
« on: 24 December 2021, 10:17 »
Hoping to buy, or lease, new MK8 GTI January 2022. Just one hurdle to overcome.
I'll be sharing the car with my partner, and we have two different priorities. I need to convince her the VW MK8 Golf GTI can meet both our desires. She wants a car with comfortable heated seats and a smooth ride, and which is easy to drive quietly around town. I want a car with character, and which, when appropriate I can drive with verve and enthusiasm.
So, I'm hoping a MK8 GTI with winter package, and with DCC adaptive suspension will meet both our requirements. But, my partner hates the red display on the GTI (so does Mat Watson of CarWow).
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to change the red display on the GTI for another, more subdued colour?
So, am I going to be able to convince my partner the GTI is a superb all-rounder which we'll both love?
Please help. Thanks in advance.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: New Member - Hoping to become GTI Owner Imminently
« Reply #1 on: 24 December 2021, 14:35 »
It's definitely a car you can drive sensibly. It's comfy, practical, easy to park.

I'd not have one if it was a total track toy, because that's no use to me.

As for the display colours, I've got it set to blue. Not so harsh on the eyes. Best thing though is if you each use your own key, you can each have it set how you want...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline MichaelMK8GTI

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 24 December 2021, 16:47 »
That's really good to know. Wasn't possible to test drive a MK8 with DCC (dealer said no demonstrators made available to dealers with that configuration), so useful info. Thanks again.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 24 December 2021, 19:14 »
Dcc is pretty good, although I drove one without for my test drive. It wasn't harsh at all.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline MichaelMK8GTI

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 25 December 2021, 11:39 »
That’s totally set my mind at rest. Thanks.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 29 December 2021, 08:14 »
The car is fine without DCC but if you think you need it then you do  :wink:

The car is comfy, economical and flexible yet can get a proper shift on when you want it to. A great all purpose tool, hence why they’ve always been so popular
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner