Author Topic: Servicing Questions  (Read 5706 times)

Offline Ashtons99

• Not said much yet
Re: Servicing Questions
« Reply #10 on: 08 January 2022, 22:51 »
I redid the ERWIN workbook service schedules to make them more understandable...

Here:-

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/vw-golf-mk7-all-versions-official-worldwide-maintenance-schedules.353704/

For the UK a petrol engine will be this (part 7):-
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/vw-golf-mk7-all-versions-official-worldwide-maintenance-schedules.353704/#post-7165488

Dave
Do you know your way around the ERWIN database. I registered on it as Volkzwizard on his YouTube channel made it look pretty easy to use. I got to the point where it’s starts asking for money. I can’t find out how you progress from there, what you get, how you get it and whether the information is worth paying for

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 08 January 2022, 23:39 »
Modern quality engine oils contain detergents and provided the oil is changed regularly - at least at service intervals - engine
flushes should not be necessary. If only doing lots of short trips then it might be worth considering every once in a while. My view is that it is another fad that dealers are cashing in on. Hence not all dealers are suggesting doing it.

I change oil and filter every 5000 miles or 6 months and tend to keep cars for at least 6 or 7 years and have never done an engine flush. The oil in the 11 year old mk6 gti (95000 miles) never gets very dark at oil changes intervals. At this age an engine flush is more likely to do harm by causing oil seals to leak.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Aparat

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 09 January 2022, 00:23 »
Any of you folk been offered this 'service'?  The cost would have been £39.
I have been offered this service before and told them to proceed with the flush .... :undecided:

What did they charge you if you don't mind me asking Aparat? My quote was £39, do you think there is any tangible benefit having this work done?
They charged me 40 pounds for engine flush, injector cleaner, and air conditioning decontamination treatment as a part of a deal.

Like joe6 said. Can be beneficial when doing lots of short trips and that's why I did it once.
Since then I don't really do short trips anymore and do about 12-15k miles a year and change the oil every 15000km ( 9300 miles) so most likely won't do it again.
« Last Edit: 09 January 2022, 00:26 by Aparat »

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 09 January 2022, 08:15 »
Any of you folk been offered this 'service'?  The cost would have been £39.
I have been offered this service before and told them to proceed with the flush .... :undecided:

There is a metallic filter in the diff - ask them if they clean it. I paid £95 for mine to be done (fluid change and filter clean) at local independent.

*Edit - I meant to reply to the earlier post on changing the LSD / Haldex Diff oil
« Last Edit: 09 January 2022, 08:25 by Adam T7 »
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline skippy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 09 January 2022, 18:39 »
Many thanks for replies guys, I agree, I suspect it is just a bit of another money making exercise. I am under a service plan, so there was no actual cash to handover as part of my service, so no doubt another 'upsell', almost like - "would you like fries with that Sir"?

That said, maybe there is some benefit of doing an engine flush, but at 5K miles!  :rolleyes:

MK7.5 2020, Isaac Blue, standard spec

Gone but certainly not forgotten Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TSI

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 10 January 2022, 11:56 »
My car goes in for 3rd service this week at 22k and 33 months. Lots of short and cold driving so I am interested in the oil flush. My dealer is offering for £20 inch vat so it’s a “ yes please” from me.
If I was doing long fast runs as I used to I wouldn’t see as much need.
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 10 January 2022, 14:57 »
My car goes in for 3rd service this week at 22k and 33 months. Lots of short and cold driving so I am interested in the oil flush. My dealer is offering for £20 inch vat so it’s a “ yes please” from me.
If I was doing long fast runs as I used to I wouldn’t see as much need.

I'm interested in the oil flush aswell - 17k almost 3 years old and short journeys these days.

Are you having the PP Diff serviced aswell? I think thats recommended by VW at 3 years old, but not 100% sure.
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 10 January 2022, 15:13 »
So they charge around £200 for nothing more than an annual oil change and a poke around your motor looking for stuff to fleece you for, they then tell you that they don’t actually do the job properly and you need to spend another £20-40 for a “flush “.
The “ flush “ is doing nothing that couldn’t be achieved by getting the oil nice and warm before draining it, and if you’re really meticulous, perhaps flushing with a tiny bit of fresh oil.

Surely they’re taking the pi55.

I’d suggest doing the job yourself if you’re really concerned about preserving your engine.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 10 January 2022, 16:39 »
Dealing with the last two posts in one:

Not planning to ask for diff service…..will leave it to them. Maybe next time?
I have a service plan so don’t expect additional expense other than…..

£20 is worth it for a flush. Espec as I am not changing the oil myself. Why would I get under the car in January for £20 anyway?

2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 10 January 2022, 17:00 »
£20 is worth it for a flush. Espec as I am not changing the oil myself. Why would I get under the car in January for £20 anyway?

How do you know it’s worth it? They could be pouring urine into your engine for all you know 😂.

No offence meant, sir, it’s your money.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.