Author Topic: Mk 8 GTI Manual - impressions (at long last!)  (Read 2857 times)

Offline DoomedHippie

• Not said much yet
Mk 8 GTI Manual - impressions (at long last!)
« on: 20 December 2021, 11:44 »
Morning all and a merry Christmas!

It's been a while since I've been on the forum, and mainly because I've been waiting for the delivery of my GTI..... Well, after just over a 12 month wait (not all VW's fault) I finally took delivery 3 weeks ago, so now I've had a chance to spend a bit of time with it, I thought I'd share my views! I know this is old news a bit as most people already have their standard GTI's

Spec:
Standard GTI (Manual)
19 inch Adelaides
DCC
HK

OK, so let's just swiftly move over what everyone already knows.... The infotainment is appalling! slow, laggy, a different issue every time I turn on the ignition - including:

(Software version 1788)
Climate Control controls disappearing completely (happened a few times)
User Profile not available, won't load (this has been for the last couple of days)
System resetting/switching off while driving - regularly
horrible cut out of stereo and 'white noise'
Safety features 'not available' - front assist (regularly) rear and side also

It's far worse than my 2017 Passat that I've just got rid of which also had virtual cockpit and was so much better (map in VC was standard and you could amend/cancel/choose destination from steering wheel controls) and there was never any lag and issues with it

Steering Wheel controls - I quite like these, I've had no accidental button presses at all and I think reviewers were overly harsh on this - only the volume and track select are soft touch sliders - the rest of the buttons, you actually need to put pressure on so pretty difficult to accidentally press i feel

On to the drive -

Well, it's great fun! Manual Gearbox is smooth and direct, My only slight gripe (and it's probably only personal preference) is I wish there was a shorter travel distance for gear change. I'm happy I made the choice of a manual, I just prefer that extra control, although fuel consumption is taking a battering at 28mpg atm (hoping it will improve once my exuberance dies down a bit! :grin:)

It's quick enough for me, I had considered waiting for the Clubsport, but again, happy I made this choice - I do a lot of miles and think this will suit me more - it's a proper family compromise hot hatch.

DCC is lightening quick to respond to changes, and does make a huge difference to handling, although I tend to keep on Comfort for everyday driving and never choose any settings harder than Sport - I like my spine.....

Harmon Kardon - I had the Dynaudio upgrade in the Passat and thought it would be hard pressed to better and wasn't expecting much (especially having heard some HK upgrades in some other brands like Toyota) but I have been very pleasantly surprised! punchy, controlled and bright - as a rock and metal fan, it can be tricky to get a decent sound sometimes, but this is brilliant!

Overall, I'm happy with the car, but only because it's a GTI - I think if I had a standard Golf with these issues I'd be very hard pressed to find any positives!

I hope anyone looking for more info finds this slightly useful and if you have any questions, please do shout!

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: Mk 8 GTI Manual - impressions (at long last!)
« Reply #1 on: 20 December 2021, 16:22 »
Thanks for the review. :smiley:
I found it useful. I keep thinking of moving to the mk8 but I know the interface will drive me crazy so I've held off.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 20 December 2021, 16:46 »
I wonder if the audi short shifter will fit on the mk8 like it did on the mk7.. If it does then that a cheap and easy fix for you.

Sad to hear that a year after my car was made that they are still churning out messed up software. What you describe is pretty much the same as mine...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline BanksyGTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 20 December 2021, 22:23 »
Good review. 1788 isn’t the most up to date software version though is it? There is a chance that this car has been sat at port awaiting chips despite being built months ago.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 21 December 2021, 01:23 »

......Manual Gearbox is smooth and direct, My only slight gripe (and it's probably only personal preference) is I wish there was a shorter travel distance for gear change.

This may be helpful (from 12:20 on).  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynAlwnsc3Lo&ab_channel=DeutscheAutoParts

Merry Christmas.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline DoomedHippie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 21 December 2021, 08:36 »
Thanks for the info on the short shift. Sadly, it has to stay standard as its my company car and have been told it's a big no no! Spoil sports!

In regards to software, this car was actually ready for delivery on May, so it is an older build..(dont ask, its a very long and frustrating story!)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #6 on: 21 December 2021, 09:04 »
They'd never notice the short shift - its not like its a visible mod  :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline DoomedHippie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 21 December 2021, 09:26 »
hmmmm...... very tempting! I think it will make such a difference - I'll have a look into it after Chrimbo I think...

I've got my first 'decent' drive in it tomorrow - Newcastle to Manchester (and back) route plotted avoiding motorways. Let's hope the weather is half decent!

Offline Andy Gibbs

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 24 December 2021, 11:23 »
Hello,

I had a very odd fault yesterday on the M3 in lane 2. I was on cruise control and the system kept picking up cars to my nearside in lane 1 as I passed. It slowed and matched the speed. It did it for about half hour. Then went normal.

The keyless entry is like a game of roulette. Will it open with my key in my pocket or not. As a family we even laugh at it.

Oh well. Great to drive. Very dubious software.

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #9 on: 24 December 2021, 11:40 »
Hi Andy, mine occasionally picks up cars on the left instead of right. I know some others have had more issues where it does it all the time.

I had exactly the same with the keyless entry too. It was sporadic at best but nearly always wouldn't open off the handle. When it went into the dealer for the OCU update (SOS fault) I mentioned it and they replaced something on the keyless system and it has been faultless since.
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver