Author Topic: Windscreen replacement  (Read 864 times)

Offline Prospective

• Not said much yet
Windscreen replacement
« on: 10 December 2021, 14:02 »
Hi anyone had a windscreen replaced on their Clubsport? Got a chip right where the HUD projects information onto the screen and it is distracting. Best place to go with and who supplies oem screens as replacements?
Thanks

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Windscreen replacement
« Reply #1 on: 10 December 2021, 14:35 »
Autoglass
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 10 December 2021, 16:02 »
Be aware that the glass for HUD cars is different to glass in non-HUD cars.   I had my windscreen replaced by Autoglass in a HUD car and they put the wrong glass in.   The display was noticeably blurry and they had to come and replace with the correct screen a few weeks later.
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline Kenis

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2021, 11:42 »
Good to know, thanks.
Ordered Apr-21 Arrived Mar-23: MK8 GTI Clubsport, Dolphin, Estorils plus other options

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2021, 12:06 »
Hi anyone had a windscreen replaced on their Clubsport? Got a chip right where the HUD projects information onto the screen and it is distracting. Best place to go with and who supplies oem screens as replacements?
Thanks

Assume you’ll be going through your insurance for your new screen? If so, then your insurance company will have partnered with the likes of Autoglass or National Windscreens as their supplier for replacement car glass.

Normally, a non OEM screen will be used as an insurance replacement, but I’m not sure if in reality it makes any real difference. There are relatively few car glass manufacturers and an OEM or non OEM screen is likely to have will been made in the same factory on the same production line - probably by either Pilkington or Saint Gobain - with the only difference being the logo in the bottom corner of the screen. However, maybe with HUD it’s necessary for the replacement screen to be OEM?

Be aware that many insurance companies impose a higher excess for glass replacement if you have an OEM manufacturer branded screen rather than a non branded one.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl