Author Topic: You don’t fancy an 8R?  (Read 16964 times)

Offline Dervy

• Not said much yet
Re: You don’t fancy an 8R?
« Reply #60 on: 12 December 2021, 21:56 »
i should also add that i stuck with the standard suspension. i have dcc on my R with prets and i’m comfortable in race - time will tell, but i need to pretend to be sensible with options

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #61 on: 12 December 2021, 22:20 »
That is the colour and pack I’d go for too were I in the position.
I reckon the car will be absolutely fine sans DCC and indeed more predictable 100% of the time.
It definitely sounds a little better “value” pre-price hike, a smart move to know your own mind from the outset and forging ahead with it.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #62 on: 13 December 2021, 09:56 »
I've been looking at used RS3s to replace my 7.5 GTI, but prices are very very strong, and there are a lot of options I'd want, on an unmolested example.

Seeing as I'm buying used, I could just wait, obviously. My GTI PCP is up in June next year.

However, I'm kind of craving more power, for some reason. I could get the GTI a tune, but then it would probably lose value and I wouldn't have as much equity to put into the RS3... so I'm kind of stuck where I am for now.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #63 on: 13 December 2021, 10:17 »
However, I'm kind of craving more power, for some reason. I could get the GTI a tune, but then it would probably lose value and I wouldn't have as much equity to put into the RS3... so I'm kind of stuck where I am for now.

TCR or an R? The IS38 turbo has plenty of extra go when the IS20 runs out of puff, one of the main reasons I swapped.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #64 on: 13 December 2021, 10:58 »
Believe me, I've gone around the houses trying to nail down what's next!

I really, really like my GTI and may well end up just paying the balloon and waiting for used car prices to drop a bit. I have looked at the TCR and R, but I don't know if I can bring myself to change to a car that is from the same sort of lineup. Stupid, maybe, but if I'm changing my car from one I'm really happy with, I want to make it as different as possible - ideally, without sacrificing things I like about my GTI.

I'd like to keep the practical, everyday usability of the GTI, along with creature comforts such as sunroof, DCC, Android Auto.

I'd like to upgrade things that the GTI could do better - engine note/noise, interior quality, traction from a stop.

The R obviously sounds perfect, but like I said, I want a change change. I've actually been looking at the RS3 saloon, because that would give me a different body style as well.

I've considered (but not driven any of):
  • 911 997 - Expensive to run, maybe not as practical as I'd like?
  • M2 - No ACC, pricey. RWD in winter a problem?
  • Golf R - Not different enough
  • TCR - Again, "just" a more powerful GTI (in my eyes)
  • S3 - basically a golf R
  • A35 - would always wonder, "should I have sprung for the A45?"
  • A45 (new) - too expensive
  • 2018 RS3 - currently winning, particularly the saloon
  • New 235i GC - Ugly, lacking Golf features

EDIT: I wasn't previously a fan of Mercedes interiors and didn't think they were worth it over a performance Golf, but I totally "get" the new style, and would strongly consider an A45S if they weren't so ridiculously expensive. Still a 2L turbo, thought. You'd think £60k would get you more than that! I also don't know if Merc offer all the creature comforts that VW do.

I haven't tried the new Golf interior at all, but obviously it is not overly popular (of course, that's from reading online. They'll obviously sell millions). The new R is supposed to be fantastic to drive.

I think it'll be between a used RS3 and an 8R (which I know is against the thread title! Maybe I'll start a new thread discussing my woes)
« Last Edit: 13 December 2021, 11:07 by sjw »

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #65 on: 13 December 2021, 12:53 »
Big Money for one with any kind of creature comforts
Imo the best option
golf
  • TCR - Again, "just" a more powerful GTI (in my eyes) golf
golf
Dubious build quality on some but an epic car which Chris Harris has said is better than the A45S
Too expensive and too powerful
5 cylinder golf
Why not the 135i? but the 235i sounds great

One of the Clubsport S owners had the same problem with replacing his golf. They tried 911's, 718's, Audi's, Alfas etc, they have since bought an M2 Competition, take from that what you will.

I've added a few comments to your list.

Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #66 on: 13 December 2021, 15:11 »
Big Money for one with any kind of creature comforts
Imo the best option
golf
  • TCR - Again, "just" a more powerful GTI (in my eyes) golf
golf
Dubious build quality on some but an epic car which Chris Harris has said is better than the A45S
Too expensive and too powerful
5 cylinder golf
Why not the 135i? but the 235i sounds great

One of the Clubsport S owners had the same problem with replacing his golf. They tried 911's, 718's, Audi's, Alfas etc, they have since bought an M2 Competition, take from that what you will.

I've added a few comments to your list.

Thanks for the input!

I was team M2 (Comp) for a while, until I learned it came without Android Auto and adaptive cruise control (and less so, dynamic dampers). These are features that I use almost every day and more so on a 100-odd mile drive to go and visit family. I read that a 235i is considered by many to be a more livable car day-to-day, but I never know if these are older people saying this (I'm 27, so it might not bother me so much). Anyway, it suffers from the same flaws as the M2.

The original M2 is much more affordable than the M2 Comp, but most reviews of the latter said it's everything the former should have been. I think there would always be a "what if" if I went for the original.

I'm sure the A35 is very nice, but I think I would suffer the same "what if" wrt. the A45. Plus, a friend and a BIL have an A35, and I'd rather something different. I'm the type who tends to go for the more left-field option.

A new M2 with the features I want would be out of budget. The new M135i is just another turbo, 4cyl, 300HP hatchback. At least the old one had some unique characteristics (but this fells outdated even next to a 7.5 GTI).

The new M240i looks promising - I forgot I was only considering the GC (because of the liftback). Will be one I give some thought to.

I know you've listed the RS3 as a "5 cylinder golf," and I kind of agree, which is why I was leaning towards the saloon. Fells more "grown up", but it can also be specced with ALL the features I currently have, and I wouldn't have to compromise. Might lack in driving dynamics, though.

I should say that I probably don't need any more than my 7.5 GTI gives me, and it's interesting that you say the A45S has too much power - that could probably be levied at most of my choices bearing in mind this is for a daily driver and it won't see a track. The GTI is honestly very very good and it is only because I had to do a 100 mile drive in torrential rain a couple of weeks ago that I got to daydreaming about a car that doesn't care about the conditions and it just has globs of power at your disposal year round. A tuned RS3 sat top of that imaginary list! Plenty practical to do everything I do now, upgrading in the areas that the GTI lacks the most - engine note and traction.

Been looking at the new M240i a bit more and it does seem it offers a decent package with everything I want (as options).

I think I, and many others, find myself of falling into the trap of reading and watching reviews of other cars and thinking "wow I want that, wow my car could handle better, wow I wish I had more power" when forgetting realistically how often we actually use full throttle in our current cars. New things are just nice to have, though!

Offline CarbonGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #67 on: 13 December 2021, 16:39 »
sjw do you follow TRHamza?  You might want to check out his brand new purchase given current top of list choice.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #68 on: 13 December 2021, 16:50 »
sjw do you follow TRHamza?  You might want to check out his brand new purchase given current top of list choice.

I don't, I'll have a look

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #69 on: 13 December 2021, 17:04 »
I should add I've also considered a TTRS (I messaged Gnasher about this and never replied, sorry mate!) but felt that the RS3 saloon was probably a slightly better daily proposition - although I'm happy to be corrected.

I have a cocker spaniel (who rides in a hammock on the back seats, so hatch not a necessity) and I play golf, so clubs must fit in the car. The dog and the clubs rarely travel at the same time, but it's always handy if they can