Author Topic: You don’t fancy an 8R?  (Read 16803 times)

Offline sjw

• I live here
Re: You don’t fancy an 8R?
« Reply #70 on: 13 December 2021, 17:15 »
Will try and follow along with TR Hamza a bit, but I don't like the black with aluminium spec. Looks like something my Dad would drive. Black pack for me, and ideally not black paint. I'd take aluminium trim with blue paint, and I'd take black paint without the aluminium  :grin:

My ideal spec is this: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202112020154133?fromSavedAds=true&advertising-location=at_cars

but there are some mods visible, and they're not listed. I don't think I want to pay that for a modded car... and I'm nervous that with those other mods, it's probably stage 2 or something crazy. Not a deal breaker, but might mean the car is overpriced and potentially more of a risk repair-wise. I'm sure the dealership could clarify, but I'm not sure I'm interested enough to make the enquiry... I'm always scared to waste people's time!  :grin:

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #71 on: 13 December 2021, 19:05 »
Thanks for the input!

I was team M2 (Comp) for a while, until I learned it came without Android Auto and adaptive cruise control (and less so, dynamic dampers). These are features that I use almost every day and more so on a 100-odd mile drive to go and visit family. I read that a 235i is considered by many to be a more livable car day-to-day, but I never know if these are older people saying this (I'm 27, so it might not bother me so much). Anyway, it suffers from the same flaws as the M2.

The original M2 is much more affordable than the M2 Comp, but most reviews of the latter said it's everything the former should have been. I think there would always be a "what if" if I went for the original.

I'm sure the A35 is very nice, but I think I would suffer the same "what if" wrt. the A45. Plus, a friend and a BIL have an A35, and I'd rather something different. I'm the type who tends to go for the more left-field option.

A new M2 with the features I want would be out of budget. The new M135i is just another turbo, 4cyl, 300HP hatchback. At least the old one had some unique characteristics (but this fells outdated even next to a 7.5 GTI).

The new M240i looks promising - I forgot I was only considering the GC (because of the liftback). Will be one I give some thought to.

I know you've listed the RS3 as a "5 cylinder golf," and I kind of agree, which is why I was leaning towards the saloon. Fells more "grown up", but it can also be specced with ALL the features I currently have, and I wouldn't have to compromise. Might lack in driving dynamics, though.

I should say that I probably don't need any more than my 7.5 GTI gives me, and it's interesting that you say the A45S has too much power - that could probably be levied at most of my choices bearing in mind this is for a daily driver and it won't see a track. The GTI is honestly very very good and it is only because I had to do a 100 mile drive in torrential rain a couple of weeks ago that I got to daydreaming about a car that doesn't care about the conditions and it just has globs of power at your disposal year round. A tuned RS3 sat top of that imaginary list! Plenty practical to do everything I do now, upgrading in the areas that the GTI lacks the most - engine note and traction.

Been looking at the new M240i a bit more and it does seem it offers a decent package with everything I want (as options).

I think I, and many others, find myself of falling into the trap of reading and watching reviews of other cars and thinking "wow I want that, wow my car could handle better, wow I wish I had more power" when forgetting realistically how often we actually use full throttle in our current cars. New things are just nice to have, though!

It's definitely a tough choice with all modern options very very close to each other, I'm not a fan of the RS3 styling hence why I lean towards the M2 which I think is the car that has picked the the torch where the E46 m3 left it.

Two wild cards I'd personally throw into the fray would be an Alpine A110 and M340d/i.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #72 on: 14 December 2021, 12:20 »
Two wild cards I'd personally throw into the fray would be an Alpine A110 and M340d/i.

M340i is a maybe.

A110? You must have missed my post about having a dog and a set of golf clubs! The A110 would struggle to carry my packed lunch  :grin: :laugh:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #73 on: 07 January 2022, 14:09 »
For those thinking about Electric as a next move and don’t want a jelly-mould Tesla or dull ID.3, the Cupra Born UK pricing has just been announced.
https://www.cupraofficial.co.uk/cars/cupra-range/born.html?idcmp=eml:CUPRABORNPR&dbgid=2138704&dbg_campaign=C000007603&variant=ST_SAL_CBO_LAU_211215_HAN1_EMT06_HAN01&one-tid=ba1f2c13-ae48-3b18-a2cd-ef4d7e6546ef#specifications
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #74 on: 07 January 2022, 14:22 »
I'd like to know why they are adding 20inch alloys to them, the 20inch tyres I'm assuming would wear quick on an EV and be very expensive. 18/19's were bad enough for looks over performance vs 17's, but 20's?
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #75 on: 07 January 2022, 14:26 »
I'd like to know why they are adding 20inch alloys to them, the 20inch tyres I'm assuming would wear quick on an EV and be very expensive. 18/19's were bad enough for looks over performance vs 17's, but 20's?

Given that BEV's are mainly about range... spec'ing 20's crimps your range vs 18's.

But of course futuristic vehicles have big wheels don't they:

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #76 on: 07 January 2022, 15:35 »
“I am the law!”  :grin: Good ol’ JD

18” steel wheels for range is the preserve of Roy Cropper BEV enthusiasts.
Hopefully not all EV owners obsess about range above all else.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Dervy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #77 on: 13 January 2022, 13:51 »
As I previously mentioned, I am moving on from my 7.5 golf R to an Audi RS3 Carbon Black Saloon - expected Feb/Mar. Yesterday I managed to take a Launch Edition out for a spin. My initial thoughts are as follows:

Good - The exterior (IMHO) looks great - purposeful and aggressive, without being too in your face. The sound is just amazing and doesn't seem to be fake inside. The acceleration is phenomenal - and addictive for the rush and the sound. The handling is first rate and you can feel the torque vectoring on the twisties and roundabouts. The ride is sporty, but composed (I drove mainly in dynamic mode). The seats look great and are very comfortable and supportive. The MMI is fast, but will take a while to get used to.It has real buttons and a gas strut for the bonnet.

Bad - Very expensive (I need a small bank loan for the first time in years). A bit too much piano black inside and the plastics on the dash, whilst better than the Mk8 R, are probably not as good as on the 7.5. You'll never achieve the published mpg. Keep a close eye on the speedo - this is a points magnet if you're not careful. Insurance and maintenance costs are higher than the R.

This is a very brief summary after a 1 hour drive. I'm going to miss the R, but I need to scratch the RS itch. I know Ive made the right decision as I didn't stop smiling for the whole hour - that's rare for me, ask my wife! My main gripe remains the price and some of the cheaper feeling plastics inside, but that seems to be the way of the automotive world.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #78 on: 13 January 2022, 16:49 »
Really good feedback Dervy, and reassuring to know you’ve definitely made the right decision.
That engine and chassis combo really appeals to me (throw in the good looking exterior to cement it together).
My son has a 2021 A3 S-Line on a lease so I’m familiar with the interior. It’s definitely much lower grade feeling/looking than the last A3 and possibly a step back from the mk7 Golf (which in itself slightly cheapened over its lifetime, my 2013 GTI PP and 2015 R interior definitely felt slightly superior in build and plastics to the 2017 and 2019 models I owned). I’d say it was about on a par with the mk8 Golf but its design has changed significantly from its dowdy predecessor to make it very stylised as opposed to the Bauhaus Golf. Swings and roundabouts. To my eyes the Audi is much more attractive than the mk8 Golf especially when comparing say an R-Line Golf versus the S-Line A3.

One definite plus at this time of year is that the side window demist vent is better positioned in the A3. It’s only in use that you appreciate these boring details.

When spending upwards of £50k on a ‘fun’ type car the fact it puts a smile on your face is very important. I’ve driven and owned quite a few cars over the last 30 odd years and when I think about it there aren’t actually that many that put a proper smile on my face. Many were satisfying to drive but few had the grin factor and that is quite telling.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC