Author Topic: You don’t fancy an 8R?  (Read 16693 times)

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
Re: You don’t fancy an 8R?
« Reply #20 on: 02 November 2021, 11:21 »
Thanks everyone, trust all your opinions and have taken into the melting pot.

My preference was rock solid, keep the TCR, absolutely love it but with the expected substantial increase in price the lease company will want for it due to the known issues, then feel its likely too much to extend to financially, and with likely heavier than usual depreciation when market settles.

If lease company surprise me when ask for the price then maybe, but what we think they likely to ask, £30,000 + at the 3 years? at least £8-10,000 over what was thinking.

The company lease is all inclusive and if for any reason you leave, you just hand keys back

Have wider financial commitments presently and with many of the AWD options likely moving well into the £40,000 bracket even on base spec, its the cars in the £35-38,000 that looking at and the 128ti sits perfectly in that. (company lease is base on cost of car and the BIK on C02)

Only had an hour in it Saturday and though ride was firm it did not feel onerous and the seats felt fine. But that was only an hour and so definitely would arrange for a weekend usage (which can do) and really live with it if serious still. Overall really liked it if honest and hence seem so convinced,

Think these will go beyond my financial limits but will look at A35 which previously liked (especially as would want most of the packs!) and the BMW 135i based on Exonian comments, and the S3 though do not find it very inspiring and feel v neutral on it

Having been in GTI/R for 9 years and loving my TCR so much have ruled out a move to the MK 8 completely as pretty sure the interior will be a constant irritant and it will just be good to be another cabin after so long on Golfs.

Really like the 130n in design, think they have done a great job with it, and it now has DSG which is a must for me, but the cabin is not quite there and reported MPG is the real deal breaker as loved fact my TCR was getting 49MPG on a run up to Scotland this year, as cruised for long periods.

The outsider and an abandonment of 15 years of performance Audi and Golfs, is a hybrid F Pace as there is a lot of incentives to go hybrid in company scheme so you get more bang for buck, so will reluctantly go look at one and see how feel, wife more interested than me,

Have the TCR till end of October 2022 so lots of enjoyable driving ahead :) but have to make the decision in March give the wait times on cars,
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #21 on: 02 November 2021, 13:35 »
If I was still in a company car I'd have been all over an BEV... with the tax incentives you'd be mad not to.

A friend of mine who still has the scheme at his work has a Tesla and it costs him bugger all!

BEV for me was "next time" almost a year ago. If I was looking for October 2022 I'd definitely be electric, there are some really good ones now (and I don't mean VAG!)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #22 on: 02 November 2021, 15:04 »
Have to say, having come from the old m135i to the TCR, I wouldn't now switch to a 128.

If I go back to BMW it would be for the new m135i.

Last time I looked the m135i would have worked out cheaper than a 128 as for base spec you could get in one for under £33 with dealer discount (Tony Lewis).  Not sure what the current discount is but expect whichever model you look at would be a 5/6 month wait time.

I considered selling my TCR as prices are so strong at the monent, but we are down to one car waiting on one to be delivered so will delay a decision and see where things sit March time.

For me if I was sticking with the "hot hatch" segment I would have one eye on upcoming A35 facelift or going back to m135i (discounts make this probably where I would end up).  Ideally I would be with the RS3 but don't want the additional grief it potential comes with...
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 02 November 2021, 18:00 »
If I was looking for October 2022 I'd definitely be electric, there are some really good ones now (and I don't mean VAG!)

By “really good” do you mean ones where the infotainment etc actually works?  :whistle:

Trouble is we are spoiled for choice with BEV SUV’s but for those of us that don’t want a status symbol juggernaut that can make Tarquin and Cressida junior in the back go “wheeee” away from the lights there’s not a huge selection of affordable, good handling, fun, smallish, quick BEV’s out there. In other words there’s a distinct lack of hot hatch BEV’s.

This is quite interesting and reflects what some of us have been saying for a few years.
https://youtu.be/nw1uErr0n3Q
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #24 on: 02 November 2021, 18:58 »
No you are correct...

It's either tiny short range city cars or something you need a hgv licence to drive.

Not sure that's about to change any time soon.

I quite fancy the mach e or the polestar 2 or the ev6/i5 though.

Apparently the infotainment even works on those... Which is strange witchcraft or something.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 02 November 2021, 20:05 »

I quite fancy the mach e or the polestar 2 or the ev6/i5 though.

Must say I saw the EV6 on the road the other day and it looks good!

https://worldwide.kia.com/eu/ev6

MK7 GTi

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 02 November 2021, 23:36 »
If I was still in a company car I'd have been all over an BEV... with the tax incentives you'd be mad not to.

A friend of mine who still has the scheme at his work has a Tesla and it costs him bugger all!

BEV for me was "next time" almost a year ago. If I was looking for October 2022 I'd definitely be electric, there are some really good ones now (and I don't mean VAG!)

The incentives for the next two years are still worthwhile. Off the top of my head, BIK is 1 and then 2% to 5/Apr/2023. I'm looking at putting a Taycan Cross Turismo through my company but I'm not particularly enthusiastic about the size of it. It's a good 50cm longer than a Golf which makes a difference parking when I go into London. Dealer lending me one for a few days to see if I can live with it but they're quoting June 2022 as best case for delivery but they felt that Q4 was more realistic.

I saw an Ioniq 5 the other day and thought it was the only other electric car (outside of the Taycan) that had presence and looked good. The reviews seem a bit patchy though.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 02 November 2021, 23:41 »

It's either tiny short range city cars or something you need a hgv licence to drive.

Not sure that's about to change any time soon.

Exactly my feeling. Tiny and 5 mile range or something vast which is considerably less relaxing to drive. There are far too many drivers of RR/X5/Q8 near where I live who do the school run. They have no comprehension as to the width of their vehicles and I live in fear of being side swiped or run off the road on narrow sections or blind corners. 
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #28 on: 03 November 2021, 00:39 »
If I was looking for October 2022 I'd definitely be electric, there are some really good ones now (and I don't mean VAG!)

This is quite interesting and reflects what some of us have been saying for a few years.
https://youtu.be/nw1uErr0n3Q

That's a great video - thanks for posting it. 

I've been agonising over this very subject for a while.  Buy an EV now and possibly be left with something obsolete within a few years, or wait for the rumoured big battery breakthroughs, which never seem to arrive.  On a related note, I finally have managed to book a test drive in a Mini Electric for tomorrow  :laugh:
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 03 November 2021, 06:10 »
I finally have managed to book a test drive in a Mini Electric for tomorrow  :laugh:

Great news! I’ll be really interested to hear what you think of it. Maybe it needs its own thread elsewhere on the forum.
My only advice is to possibly reduce the regen on first acquaintance (left hand toggle from memory) and put it straight into Sport mode (right hand toggle). No engine to warm up, just super responsive fun to be had.
 :cool:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner