Author Topic: What have you bought for your Mk8?  (Read 52439 times)

Offline Sean G

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you bought for your Mk8?
« Reply #280 on: 26 June 2022, 10:42 »
I bought these mud flaps for my GTI from AliExpress for £15. They were delivered in 10 days. They seem to be the correct version to fit the GTI body kit; the fitting holes are pre-moulded and they are complete with screws. Unsurprisingly, I don’t think they are of the same quality as OEM. I thought given the price I would take a chance.  I am going to fit them and see how they go. :grin:

I bought a set of those from AliExpress when I first got my GTI, I never actually fitted them though, when I offered them up they clearly didn’t fit snug enough for my ‘OCD’, quality of items can vary wildly depending on seller bought from, so your purchase may be better quality than my £11 purchase, it would be great to see them fitted though Ceefeesh, please post some pics if you get the time.

Also bought a set in anticipation for my Edition 45 arriving tried then on a friends GTD and another 45 as above fitment was poor and definitely not Oem quality material
Ended up just binning them

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #281 on: 26 June 2022, 15:04 »
I have offered them up and they look ok but not perfect. I’ll not be able to tell until I try one properly but if they are not good enough they won’t be going on. I bought them out of curiosity. When I get one on, (once I refill my trolley jack) I’ll post a picture.  :grin:
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline Sean G

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #282 on: 26 June 2022, 18:12 »
I have offered them up and they look ok but not perfect. I’ll not be able to tell until I try one properly but if they are not good enough they won’t be going on. I bought them out of curiosity. When I get one on, (once I refill my trolley jack) I’ll post a picture.  :grin:

Could well be the ones I bought were from a different supplier - similar but not exactly the same
You may well be lucky and the ones you got fit fine

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #283 on: 26 June 2022, 18:38 »
Here are pics of the front ones. I don’t think they’re bad. I’ve fitted OEM which weren’t an exact fit either. What do you think?

Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline simonwhite2000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #284 on: 27 June 2022, 18:53 »
Fitted my matching alloy footrest to my car.

Looks good. Aliexpress? Do you have a link?

Did you get a link for this mate?
Awaiting: Mk8 GTI CS
2020: BMW 840 Gran Coupe
2017: Audi B9 S5 Coupe
2014: Mk7 Golf R manual

Offline carlt69

• Not said much yet
« Reply #285 on: 27 June 2022, 21:28 »
I had it on my Mk7.5 and moved it to my 8 recently. I think I bought it from a Skoda parts supplier in Eastern Europe, that I learned of from this forum, because their delivery was quicker. I think if it’s a similar appearance they all originate from China. I think I saw them for sale on the EZmods site, the sticker supplier, recently. Theirs was illuminated for £60! I am not sure who would have the keenest price. I see one on eBay for £26.99, including delivery, which seems to be the cheapest from within the UK.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=vw+footrest+&_sacat=0

Ok mine is now on the way, I’m going to have to stay away from this forum  :grin:
MK8 GTi in Moonstone Grey

Offline carlt69

• Not said much yet
« Reply #286 on: 30 June 2022, 20:22 »
I had it on my Mk7.5 and moved it to my 8 recently. I think I bought it from a Skoda parts supplier in Eastern Europe, that I learned of from this forum, because their delivery was quicker. I think if it’s a similar appearance they all originate from China. I think I saw them for sale on the EZmods site, the sticker supplier, recently. Theirs was illuminated for £60! I am not sure who would have the keenest price. I see one on eBay for £26.99, including delivery, which seems to be the cheapest from within the UK.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=vw+footrest+&_sacat=0

Literal 5min job and it looks so much better  :cool:

Ok mine is now on the way, I’m going to have to stay away from this forum  :grin:
MK8 GTi in Moonstone Grey

Offline RoryB

• Not said much yet
« Reply #287 on: 06 July 2022, 22:22 »
Yes, they’re the R paddles. No, you only need to remove the airbag (basically the centre piece of the wheel where you press the horn). This pops off quite easily, you just need to release 3 clips on the back of the wheel. Once you’ve that off you need to gently prise off the silver trim, it’s just clipped in. Once that’s off, the existing paddles are easily removed by undoing a Torx screw for each one and disconnecting them. The new paddles fit in exactly the same way.

Oh, other thing we did is remove the fuse for the horn. It kept going off and nearly giving us heart attacks / temporary deafness when removing the airbag!

Everything went back together 100% and no dash errors. I’d say it took about 20-25 mins.

Volkswizard has a video on it.

Joe, did you have to disconnect battery or anything? I have mine sitting in the car since I got it afraid to do it in case I mess something up
Gone: Mk 5 GT Sport 140
Sticking around: Mk 7 GTD
Current: Mk 8 GTI Clubsport

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #288 on: 07 July 2022, 01:17 »
Yes, they’re the R paddles. No, you only need to remove the airbag (basically the centre piece of the wheel where you press the horn). This pops off quite easily, you just need to release 3 clips on the back of the wheel. Once you’ve that off you need to gently prise off the silver trim, it’s just clipped in. Once that’s off, the existing paddles are easily removed by undoing a Torx screw for each one and disconnecting them. The new paddles fit in exactly the same way.

Oh, other thing we did is remove the fuse for the horn. It kept going off and nearly giving us heart attacks / temporary deafness when removing the airbag!

Everything went back together 100% and no dash errors. I’d say it took about 20-25 mins.

Volkswizard has a video on it.

Joe, did you have to disconnect battery or anything? I have mine sitting in the car since I got it afraid to do it in case I mess something up

No, no need to disconnect the battery but I would recommend removing the fuse for the horn as it’ll keep going off!
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #289 on: 07 July 2022, 07:23 »
Definitely disconnect the horn. One accidental blast is enough to convince you. I had literally no idea what I was doing. Some great help from people on here as always. Once you’ve removed one clip it becomes much easier as you know what to do.

Tbh fitting the dynamic indicators was harder.

On and don’t touch the start button by accident unless you want the airbag warning light to stay on! Yes, I’m a total pleb.

Good luck!!!
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.