Author Topic: Strange Display Problem  (Read 993 times)

Offline Syd

• Just got here
Strange Display Problem
« on: 11 May 2023, 10:59 »
I have had my new GTi for 3 weeks now and I have had some strange things happen to the displays. I was driving last Tues at 5.30pm going out for tea when the display lighting dimmed 50% and then 10 minutes later, three orange warning lights appeared for no reason - see the attached photo.

We got to the restaurant and a couple of hours later when we left, the display lighting was fine and the warning lights had gone. The following day, the 3 warning lights came up again until we got home. The warning lights were not there in the morning.

The couple of days ago, the engine started by itself when I had parked the car with the engine off and the brake on while I was waiting for my wife who was getting some coffees.

I would be keen to know if anyone had these types of faults with their new MK8 GTi Golf before I discuss this with the dealer

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
Re: Strange Display Problem
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2023, 11:05 »
The lights are related to travel assist/ACC, you have it activated as I can see the ‘runway’ image at the centre bottom of the screen, may be worth turning it off when you’re not using it, as for the car starting itself, that was probably the stop/start restarting the car as the battery voltage had dropped while you were waiting. If the headlights are set to OFF (not AUTO) The display can change brightness by itself as it has ambient light sensors built in, this is designed to alert the driver that the lights should be switched on.
« Last Edit: 11 May 2023, 11:09 by Carlosfandango »
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2023, 06:22 »
If the headlights are set to OFF (not AUTO) The display can change brightness by itself as it has ambient light sensors built in, this is designed to alert the driver that the lights should be switched on.

I never was one for paying much attention, but even so, after two and a half years of mk8 ownership I had no idea that function existed. I’m impressed.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2023, 23:21 »
If the headlights are set to OFF (not AUTO) The display can change brightness by itself as it has ambient light sensors built in, this is designed to alert the driver that the lights should be switched on.

I never was one for paying much attention, but even so, after two and a half years of mk8 ownership I had no idea that function existed. I’m impressed.

Mk7 and 7.5 were the same.
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2023, 10:34 »
I can vaguely remember my analogue dials doing this in my earlier mk7’s but probably had my TCR set to auto like my mk8.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2023, 21:45 »
I can vaguely remember my analogue dials doing this in my earlier mk7’s but probably had my TCR set to auto like my mk8.

In actual fact, unlike the Mk7, I don’t think you can set the headlights to off by default on the mk8 unless your below a certain road speed, although, I’ve coded mine to allow the lights to be set to sidelights or off at any speed, there are however definitely ambient light sensors on both the left and right of the dash screen that effect screen brightness dependent upon current ambient light level.
Current car -

Gone -
👇see it here👇