Author Topic: Clubsport order thread  (Read 108819 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Clubsport order thread
« Reply #300 on: 20 January 2022, 10:45 »
I popped in to a dealer last weekend and was told 12-13 month wait for a new Clubsport. One dealer offered 1% off, the other 0.5%

Drive the Deal are currently offering a circa 13% discount (includes VWFS deposit contribution). No idea of the lead time if ordering through DtD but presumably similar to ordering direct from a VW dealer as DtD are merely acting as an introducing broker who’ll put you in touch with the dealer.   

DtD’s website does state ‘Quotes and offers are for cars ordered between 1st December 2021 – 31st March 2022 and delivered by 30th September 2022’, so based on the indicated 12-13 month dealer lead time, delivery by 30/09/2022 seems unlikely. Whether that means the discount won’t be honoured, who knows……….
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline WelshGolf

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #301 on: 20 January 2022, 11:27 »
I wonder what this is going to do for residual values in 3 years time when most people will be trading in for a new car. Buying now with almost 0% from a dealer sound like a nightmare in 3 years. Or on the flip side because there have been so few produced, in 3 years time there will be very little on the market second hand and vaules will be good  :nerd:
Golf 7R - Gone
Golf 7.5 GTi - Gone
Golf 8 Clubsport - On order

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #302 on: 20 January 2022, 11:39 »
I have an interesting question about the lead times…

Are manufacturers such as VW, producing cars now at the past rates but have a large back order they can’t catch up with, or, are the producing less cars slower?

The later explains the price increases and fewer discounts available.
Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #303 on: 20 January 2022, 12:27 »
I have an interesting question about the lead times…

Are manufacturers such as VW, producing cars now at the past rates but have a large back order they can’t catch up with, or, are the producing less cars slower?

The later explains the price increases and fewer discounts available.

I suspect it’s the latter, influenced by factors such as limited supplies of semiconductors and temporary reductions in workforce caused by the Omicron Covid variant. There are probably large stocks of part built cars in storage facilities too (completed apart from missing the vital semiconductors), which will need to be moved back in to the factory to be completed once semiconductor supplies improve.

Also, I suspect that priority is being given to building electric vehicles, as a higher proportion of zero emissions vehicles built and sold as percentage of total sales will mean lower emissions-based fines for VW.

Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline WelshGolf

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #304 on: 20 January 2022, 12:40 »
If they are part building cars and letting them sit while waiting for parts, what are the chances of getting a new car that is effectively almost a year old as it's been sitting there waiting? Potential for it having old hardware in it as well?
Golf 7R - Gone
Golf 7.5 GTi - Gone
Golf 8 Clubsport - On order

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #305 on: 20 January 2022, 13:15 »
If they are part building cars and letting them sit while waiting for parts, what are the chances of getting a new car that is effectively almost a year old as it's been sitting there waiting? Potential for it having old hardware in it as well?

I’ve read that some manufacturers are doing this, and some are building cars with reduced spec, removing some of the semiconductor-dependant items. Maybe VW aren’t one of those manufacturers though.
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #306 on: 20 January 2022, 13:28 »
Its all of the things causing a problem.... orders backing up and component shortages.

And VW seem to be handling it very badly indeed.

TBH most of the problem comes from how the car industry works - they "just in timed" it to the Nth degree and massively shat on their suppliers. When they suddenly pulled the plug due to covid and stopped ordering their suppliers finally had enough and sought better deals with customers, drying up the supply to car makers.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline JRR1988

• Not said much yet
« Reply #307 on: 21 January 2022, 10:29 »
It’s not only VW that are handling it badly but Arnold Clark too. They seem to be getting sh!ty with me for asking for updates (once a month) and the only reason I ask is because they don’t contact me. And it usually takes 2 or 3 emails to get a response.

Every time I contact them they tell me it will be delivered (to the dealer) next month. The last time I contacted them at the start of December they said delivery would be “early to mid January” and I responded saying “are you sure as you tell me that every month” and they replied saying “yes”. They’ve obviously never heard of managing expectations and consistently over promise and under deliver then get annoyed at me.

Considering my company has ordered 30-50 cars of them in the past year they really don’t seem to care.
Current and going imminently - MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack, DSG, Black

CANCELED - MK8 GTI Clubsport, Reflex Silver, 19” Adelaide Wheels, Winter Pack

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #308 on: 21 January 2022, 11:37 »
It’s not only VW that are handling it badly but Arnold Clark too. They seem to be getting sh!ty with me for asking for updates (once a month) and the only reason I ask is because they don’t contact me. And it usually takes 2 or 3 emails to get a response.

Every time I contact them they tell me it will be delivered (to the dealer) next month. The last time I contacted them at the start of December they said delivery would be “early to mid January” and I responded saying “are you sure as you tell me that every month” and they replied saying “yes”. They’ve obviously never heard of managing expectations and consistently over promise and under deliver then get annoyed at me.

Considering my company has ordered 30-50 cars of them in the past year they really don’t seem to care.

Arnold Clark (AC) get generally poor feedback on many forums. Presumably your car has been built if you’ve been told delivery is imminent.

If I were to give AC the benefit of the doubt, I’d say that delivery of your car to the dealership could have been impacted by potential delivery driver shortages by the haulage companies used by VW to transport new vehicles to dealerships, or by delivery drivers self isolating due to Covid. Agree that AC could manage the situation better and manage customer expectations by providing updates without customers having to prompt them.

Hopefully not too much longer to wait.
« Last Edit: 21 January 2022, 13:15 by SRGTD »
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline JRR1988

• Not said much yet
« Reply #309 on: 21 January 2022, 13:23 »
Yeah, I can’t say I’ve ever had a good experience with them to be honest. I don’t understand why manufacturers favour them so heavily in the U.K.
Current and going imminently - MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack, DSG, Black

CANCELED - MK8 GTI Clubsport, Reflex Silver, 19” Adelaide Wheels, Winter Pack