Author Topic: Diagnostics  (Read 5134 times)

Offline bobfrankish

• Not said much yet
Diagnostics
« on: 03 August 2020, 13:22 »
Hi Everyone. I have a 1996 GTi 8V ADY engine that I spent a long time restoring about 3 years ago. It has not run now for about 4 weeks and now refuses to start. Can anyone recommend the best diagnostic tool I should go for?

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: Diagnostics
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2020, 08:11 »
VCDS is what you need.

A genuine second hand HEX-CAN is about £200. The newer V2 or HEX-NET are between £230 and £650 depending on number of VINs it can be used on (the mk3 doesn't have a VIN stored in any ECU so that doesn't use any up).
Stay clear off the cheap eBay knock offs, hardly ever work correctly and it's usually the Chinese copy mafia you support. Personally I've started to stay clear of anything coming out of the PRC (people's republic of covid).
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline bobfrankish

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2020, 18:30 »
Thanks for the reply and the advice. I needed to do something quickly so I bought a cable from ebay and downloaded VCDS lite from ross tech for now. I am also on a very limited budget nowadays so spending big bucks on diagnostic tools that I can only use on VW cars is a non starter.

Offline ramrod

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2020, 02:24 »
my obdeleven dongle works brilliantly with my mk3  :nerd: can do long coding etc same as vagcom
Mk6 Gti - current daily
Mk3 16v Anni - retired daily now parked on 200,300 miles