Author Topic: Sill And Wheelarch Rust  (Read 6981 times)

Offline abelw44

• Just got here
Sill And Wheelarch Rust
« on: 06 July 2016, 12:22 »
Hi all,

I bought a mk2 gti a while back as a project. Ultimately, it's in good nick now, no rust in areas that many mk2s do have it, nice interior etc. However, I took it for an MoT recently, and with the exception of the brakes (Which I'm not worried about fixing, just a bleeding issue I think) and the sills it would have passed.

It failed on the sills, but I am unsure as to how much of them needs repairing, whether I need to replace them entirely, inner or outer, partial or full replacement - I don't know! So I shall post some pictures, and hopefully someone can provide me with some insight into how much damage has been done!

You can find the pictures here: https://goo.gl/photos/YJDAYuZEYm93U8hv8

Hopefully the pictures are useful, people can make sense of them, but let me know if you need ones from different angles/perspectives etc for a better judgement.

As far as I can see, the car is mostly solid - the worst side is definitely the driver's side, with a hole in the sill, and the hole in the jacking point, this is the part I'm expecting is going to pricey to repair, but the other side doesn't appear to me to be too bad, a fair amount of surface rust, but nothing more than that.

Any ideas/comments are welcome!

Thanks,
abelw44

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Sill And Wheelarch Rust
« Reply #1 on: 06 July 2016, 20:55 »
I gottaweld.one ofthose jacking points. Holes gotta bigger aswell. 
Are you plannin to keep it for a lomg time? If so replace the full sils.
If not get it patched where its failed. Our mot place normally chalks it for us

Offline abelw44

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 07 July 2016, 14:24 »
Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me!The plan is to keep it for a while, but it doesn't need to be perfect. So would patching the severe areas and stabilizing rust in other areas, repainting, rust proofing etc be okay for that?

Thanks,
abelw44

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #3 on: 07 July 2016, 14:49 »
Yeh aslong as the rots treated and cut out in the worse areas youll be OK.
Last thing you want is premature rot because youve missed abit of rot when youve welded a plate over

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2016, 18:49 »
if you have an air compressor (and tolerant neighbours) :wink:. the first thing I would do is buy a needle gun/descaler. these things are amazing for knocking all the grot out and taking it back to good steel.