Author Topic: Boot rattle - TPI?  (Read 23209 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Boot rattle - TPI?
« Reply #20 on: 21 February 2014, 18:35 »
For those with a metallic rattle around the back of the car interior, have you checked out the pivot point where the bottom of the 2 sides of the upper back seats meet? The thick pins are held in with a rotating clip (it can rotate 180 degrees to allow the back bench seat backs to be taken out, that can be loose and needs a little rotation to tighten. Or the plastic housing that fits over the clip (from the boot side) could be loose and rattling on the pivot point. Hasn't happened on my MK7, but was an issue with the MK5.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Mo_Nurk

• Not said much yet
« Reply #21 on: 21 February 2014, 22:51 »
For those with a metallic rattle around the back of the car interior, have you checked out the pivot point where the bottom of the 2 sides of the upper back seats meet? The thick pins are held in with a rotating clip (it can rotate 180 degrees to allow the back bench seat backs to be taken out, that can be loose and needs a little rotation to tighten. Or the plastic housing that fits over the clip (from the boot side) could be loose and rattling on the pivot point. Hasn't happened on my MK7, but was an issue with the MK5.

This probably sounds stupid, but where exactly are these pins, I've looked but haven't been able to see them... I'm probably looking in the wrong place
MK7 GTI DSG 5 Door, Oryx White, Performance Pack,  Keyless Entry

Offline JamesR27

• Here all the time
« Reply #22 on: 27 February 2014, 18:48 »
Has anyone been able to get an update from VW on this?

Checked with the dealer and they are still waiting.
MK 7.5 R Pure White, Pretoria Silver, DCC, Rear Camera.
Gone - MK 7 GTI Carbon Grey, Rear Camera, Service Pack.
Gone - MK 6 GTI  Reflex Silver, Monza Shadows, RCD 510, Rear Camera, Bluetooth, Tyre Pressure Sensor, Xenons Convenience pack, Service Pack :)
Gone - MK 5 GTI Reflex Silver, Monza II 18's, Luxury Pack, Mulitchanger

Offline phil_790

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 06 March 2014, 13:40 »
Hey,

I am waiting for a call back from my dealer about this. I spoke to vw uk the other day and they said that they couldn't find out and passed me onto the dealers...will wait and see what they say.

Offline Mo_Nurk

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 06 March 2014, 15:31 »
Cheers mate, keep us posted :)

Offline phil_790

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 06 March 2014, 16:16 »
Just had the call from the dealers, still no tpi for the boot :-( they said they will call when they have it...don't really want to hold my breath for it!!

Offline JamesR27

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 06 March 2014, 18:36 »
It's so annoying, I spoke to VWUK about this today and they still have no more information on when or what the fix is.

Keep checking with your dealer I was told. I am going to give it till the end of the month and then will complain again.
MK 7.5 R Pure White, Pretoria Silver, DCC, Rear Camera.
Gone - MK 7 GTI Carbon Grey, Rear Camera, Service Pack.
Gone - MK 6 GTI  Reflex Silver, Monza Shadows, RCD 510, Rear Camera, Bluetooth, Tyre Pressure Sensor, Xenons Convenience pack, Service Pack :)
Gone - MK 5 GTI Reflex Silver, Monza II 18's, Luxury Pack, Mulitchanger

Offline ChrisJL

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 22 March 2014, 21:53 »
Still no news on this?  :sad:

I had my dad drive mine today while I sat in the back and had a good snoop around, putting seats down etc, sounds to me like the rattle coming from high up in the boot area. I left the parcel shelf in as I know its not that but I had the boot floor out (I know its not the floor but just wanted it out in case it was something below it).

When I had my head in the boot (below the shelf) the sound couldn't be heard, I could only hear it when I was higher above the parcel shelf, so the noise for me at least is focused very high up in the back of the car and behind the rear seats for sure.

It can surely only be the actual top of the boot door itself, or possibly the stantions (don't know their correct name sorry) that enable the boot door to stay up when u open it. There is a little play in them from side to side if I try to wiggle them. Thinking maybe some insulating foam around them is my next step.

Unless im just crazy as no one else can seem to hear it, but its the most obvious noise to me now that my ears are acutely tuned into its irritating sound lol
Collected 10/09/2013: Mk 7 Golf GTI. 3 Door Manual. Tornado Red. Performance Pack. Adaptive Chassis. Winter Pack. Life Shine Protection.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 24 March 2014, 13:19 »
Boot rattle was a common issue with the Scirocco - one of the 2 bump stops for the boot lid had some play in it or stuck out further than the other- maybe it's the same with yours. You might need to adjust one or both outwards a notch or 2. You had to get a small (2 or 3mm) allen key through the centre hole and loosen the stop off then pull it out a click or 2 and tighten up the allen bolt.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Mo_Nurk

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 24 March 2014, 15:14 »
Came across this while doing some digging on Google, something to consider possibly...

Had an annoying rattle from the rear passenger side which annoyed the hell out of me. So much so that I spent the second morning after I got the car trying to pin point the source I ended up finding that the factory forgot to put in the clip to hold the wheel liner in place.
Zip tied it and took it to the dealer... They are replacing the liner as I type this.

Source: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148&page=13 [Post #250]