Author Topic: Boot rattle - TPI?  (Read 23222 times)

Offline phil_790

• Not said much yet
Re: Boot rattle - TPI?
« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2014, 12:09 »
Hi all,

As expected the petrol cap was sorted with the lithium grease, I will try the dry ptfe on the boot hinges etc over the weekend.

Cheers,
Phil

Offline ChrisJL

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 02 February 2014, 18:51 »
Thanks for the help joet  :smiley:

Took the boot floor out just as a test and took the car for a spin, no sounds at all. Solid as a rock, as I would expect from a VW. So I've done some work to the boot floor while its in place to try and pinch it a little more in places to stop it vibrating around to cause that god awful rattle.

Thank you so much for directing me to that, I can't tell you how happy I was on that drive with no rattles. It really was taking the shine off the car, but I am so happy now :)

Also noticed my petrol cap was a bit sticky too like others have said, just coated it with WD40 seemed to do the trick for me but that one wasn't as annoying as that rattle.

Thanks again  :smiley:
Collected 10/09/2013: Mk 7 Golf GTI. 3 Door Manual. Tornado Red. Performance Pack. Adaptive Chassis. Winter Pack. Life Shine Protection.

Offline joet

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 02 February 2014, 22:30 »
Thanks for the help joet  :smiley:

Took the boot floor out just as a test and took the car for a spin, no sounds at all. Solid as a rock, as I would expect from a VW. So I've done some work to the boot floor while its in place to try and pinch it a little more in places to stop it vibrating around to cause that god awful rattle.

Thank you so much for directing me to that, I can't tell you how happy I was on that drive with no rattles. It really was taking the shine off the car, but I am so happy now :)

Also noticed my petrol cap was a bit sticky too like others have said, just coated it with WD40 seemed to do the trick for me but that one wasn't as annoying as that rattle.

Thanks again  :smiley:

No problem. Glad you sorted it out. Makes a real difference to the drive, doesn't it?

Offline phil_790

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 04 February 2014, 12:30 »
Hi all,

I just had a call from VW customer services, following on from my visit to the dealers last week. Apparently VW almost have a fix for the noise, which is going to be rolled out to the dealers in the next couple of weeks. The woman I spoke to didn’t offer too many details, but she did say that there have been a few others with similar issues reported. I did try all of the ideas with the lubricant etc., but it didn’t make any difference.

Hopefully it will be sorted out soon.

Cheers,
Phil

Offline Mo_Nurk

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 18 February 2014, 08:50 »
Any news from VW about this? Think mine has developed this rattle noise too
MK7 GTI DSG 5 Door, Oryx White, Performance Pack,  Keyless Entry

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 18 February 2014, 11:28 »
+1 on the boot rattle, would be nice if someone could pinpoint it so i can go at it with the sticky foam tape!
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline phil_790

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 18 February 2014, 12:56 »
Hi all,

I am going to give my dealers a call later in the week to see if they have the details of the fix, as it will be 2 weeks since I spoke to VWUK. Regarding the sticky fuel flap, this hasn’t been an issue since I applied the grease as suggested on here.

An another note, has anyone seen the new Scirocco update...I am pretty pleased I didn’t wait for the new Scirocco rather than getting the Golf, as I came from a 2011 Scirocco before the golf. It hardly a facelift they have done to it!

Cheers,
Phil

Offline ChrisJL

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 20 February 2014, 23:58 »
Not had chance to fully report back on this. But turns out it doesn't seem to be the boot floor for me. It stopped for a few days after I fixed it down but looks like that was just a very badly timed coincidence, its back with a vengeance. I took the floor out tonight and its still doing it. Sounds still like a rear passenger seat belt kind of area at the moment but can't tell without being in the back myself as it does it.

Parcel shelf out tomorrow to see if that's the cause. If not then I really don't know, can only assume something is a bit loose behind the interior somewhere?

I notice a metally rattle if I shut the passenger door or boot with any reasonable force. The sound doesn't happen if I do it with the drivers door... Not sure if linked. the outside door slam rattle sounded more like maybe the exhaust bracket or something. But don't think that's the sound I'm getting inside as that's more plastic sounding.

Oh well, on goes the hunt for the illusive rattle, still only started since I had my first rear seat passenger, as it maybe it is related to seat belt....
Collected 10/09/2013: Mk 7 Golf GTI. 3 Door Manual. Tornado Red. Performance Pack. Adaptive Chassis. Winter Pack. Life Shine Protection.

Offline RJS

• Just got here
« Reply #18 on: 21 February 2014, 16:17 »
I've got that boot rattle as well and it's driving me bonkers.

Like a few others here I've tried shifting the boot components about, but not made any difference.

The source sounds to me like its inside the vehicle (i.e. not suspension related), but lurking behind a bit of trim on the passenger side.

Would be really interested to hear if this is positively identified. 

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 21 February 2014, 16:51 »
I've got that boot rattle as well and it's driving me bonkers.

Like a few others here I've tried shifting the boot components about, but not made any difference.

The source sounds to me like its inside the vehicle (i.e. not suspension related), but lurking behind a bit of trim on the passenger side.

Would be really interested to hear if this is positively identified.

My rear door trims used to squeak in my leon, but that was 5 door, best to chekc by pushing against all the panels and listen for a creak though
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG