Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2739577 times)

Offline LSBristol

• Not said much yet
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #12000 on: 15 January 2022, 21:31 »
After 2 weeks of sitting caked in dirt broke out the wash mitt, no fun driving either as the roads are that greasy at the minute it's an accident waiting to happen.

Looks fantastic! Two weeks though between washing is nothing, mine was last cleaned in August :embarrassed: I wanted to do it on my last day off but I was put off when I went out to find the door handles were frozen! It's got to be done soon though, the rear plate is getting a bit difficult to read....

I know the feeling...

The TR looks incredible clean though. Belvederes suit it so well.

mk7.5 non-PP, Indium Grey, manual

TCR backbox
Bola B16 19" in crystal sylver
DTUK pedalbox+

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #12001 on: 15 January 2022, 21:44 »
If it helps my car was like yours LSBristol after two weeks, paved roads are less fun  :wink:

Thanks, I definitely need spacers for them but since no more mudflaps I don't want to throw more dirt up the side with them.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline o`Neil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12002 on: 16 January 2022, 08:11 »
no fun driving either as the roads are that greasy at the minute it's an accident waiting to happen.

That`s the best time to have some proper fun  :grin:

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #12003 on: 16 January 2022, 18:11 »
Went for a blast after the rain cleared the roads, even with the winter tyres the car drives fantastic on the belvederes.

Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #12004 on: 16 January 2022, 19:02 »
@willni, very nice looking car. Are those belvederes 18s?

I tend to give my cars very frequent blasts with the pressure hose during the winter months- sometimes just a 10 minute blast on coming home from work.
Can’t stand the salt on the cars.
Managed to give both GTIs a proper wash this week.
Now I won’t want to drive them.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #12005 on: 16 January 2022, 20:04 »

I tend to give my cars very frequent blasts with the pressure hose during the winter months- sometimes just a 10 minute blast on coming home from work.

Yes they're 18's the belvedere's do strangely look bigger than 18in.

I know of one other person that does that, there's no downside to it other than water spotting, but you can always sort that with a DI vessel if you were very fussy.

They get dirty even when they sit still, might as well enjoy them when they're clean!

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #12006 on: 16 January 2022, 21:13 »

Yes they're 18's the belvedere's do strangely look bigger than 18in.

I know of one other person that does that, there's no downside to it other than water spotting, but you can always sort that with a DI vessel if you were very fussy.

They get dirty even when they sit still, might as well enjoy them when they're clean!

The car sits perfectly on those 18s, not sure if it’s the style of wheel, or because it’s 3dr, or perhaps the way you’ve taken the pic!

My golf is standard, there’s only two things I may consider doing at some point- first, a stage 1- which I almost certainly will do at some point ( but don’t particularly feel the need for now- not getting the open roads often enough to consider it worthwhile!). Second, possibly a lighter set of alloys- though I quite like a standard looking car.

Belvederes would be top of my list if I was to change.

The regular jet wash is more about preservation than aesthetics- I pretty much accept that the car will rarely looks its best in the worst winter weather.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #12007 on: 16 January 2022, 22:08 »
The car sits perfectly on those 18s, not sure if it’s the style of wheel, or because it’s 3dr, or perhaps the way you’ve taken the pic!

My golf is standard, there’s only two things I may consider doing at some point- first, a stage 1- which I almost certainly will do at some point ( but don’t particularly feel the need for now- not getting the open roads often enough to consider it worthwhile!). Second, possibly a lighter set of alloys- though I quite like a standard looking car.

Belvederes would be top of my list if I was to change.

The regular jet wash is more about preservation than aesthetics- I pretty much accept that the car will rarely looks its best in the worst winter weather.

The car is actually sitting on a downward slope so would look like it's sitting higher and the other side lower. I do think it's the alloy shape with the diamond cut, they could very easily become my summer alloys.

I personally see the GTI as a more handling focused car versus the R and as a result I don't see the need to remap it, but I would happily make a few more choice handling mods to accompany the Belvederes.

Speaking of preservation you've reminded me that I want to get the car up on a ramp and go round it with XCP Rust Block & find a solution to regularly apply Bilt Hamber Atom Mac underneath, as the rear wishbones are quite bad on mine the mk5 in comparison is as new but it's had many coats of ACF-50.

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #12008 on: 17 January 2022, 06:08 »

I completely agree with you Yusee, the Belvederes compliment the 3 door MK7 GTI, far more (imo) than the 5 door. They are a fab wheel and as Will said they improve the handling, especially with the correct tyres.

Picture of mine - not the best pic in the world but shows the profile well.

2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #12009 on: 17 January 2022, 07:40 »

I completely agree with you Yusee, the Belvederes compliment the 3 door MK7 GTI, far more (imo) than the 5 door. They are a fab wheel and as Will said they improve the handling, especially with the correct tyres.

Picture of mine - not the best pic in the world but shows the profile well.

Yes, again looks very nice on 18s.
Is there a marked improvement in handling?
I realise this is a reduction in unsprung weight but- assuming a total weight saving of around 16kg on the parkers- that doesn’t seem a lot.