Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2782914 times)

Offline madstaff

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #11990 on: 11 January 2022, 12:43 »
Nothing to mine, but pulled the silica bag in the expansion tank out of a Golf R for the lad who works next door to me.  :smiley:
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline LSBristol

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11991 on: 11 January 2022, 15:19 »
Nothing to mine, but pulled the silica bag in the expansion tank out of a Golf R for the lad who works next door to me.  :smiley:

Is this actually something that needs doing? Or is it a case of a small number of failures on forums making it seem scarier than it is?

Am I right in saying the downside of removing is you then have to replace the coolant every so often whereas with the bag it supposedly doesn't need changing?

Is there a risk of splitting it when removing it and causing the issue yourself or is it quite straightforward?
mk7.5 non-PP, Indium Grey, manual

TCR backbox
Bola B16 19" in crystal sylver
DTUK pedalbox+

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #11992 on: 11 January 2022, 16:31 »

Is this actually something that needs doing? Or is it a case of a small number of failures on forums making it seem scarier than it is?

Am I right in saying the downside of removing is you then have to replace the coolant every so often whereas with the bag it supposedly doesn't need changing?

Is there a risk of splitting it when removing it and causing the issue yourself or is it quite straightforward?

There have been some cases of the bag splitting, probably not a massive percentage, but if if does split all the little silica beads potentially block the heater matrix up.
If that happens, to sort it out is a bit of a job, far easier IMO to remove the silica bag and every couple of years perhaps empty the expansion tank of coolant and add fresh to give it a boost.
Quite easy to pull the bag out, but I would advise to clamp off the pipe on the bottom of the tank just in case the bag splits whilst your trying to remove it.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #11993 on: 12 January 2022, 11:19 »
Cleaned the wheels and protected them....

MK7 GTi

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #11994 on: 12 January 2022, 14:38 »

Does anyone know if there will be an appreciable power loss by mounting the plate here?

Offline DCmk3

• Here all the time
« Reply #11995 on: 12 January 2022, 15:20 »

Does anyone know if there will be an appreciable power loss by mounting the plate here?

It will definitely affect the intercoolers efficiency being that it is already mounted behind the aircon condenser, now restricting even more flow to both the intercooler and radiator by effectively blocking off 30-40%+- of the flow it usually sees.

I have never understood the idea of blocking the radiator by moving a plate over the grills and away from the bumper where it doesn't cause any sort of restriction to airflow.. I assume some like to be "different".

2014 Mk7 GTI - Littco L500

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #11996 on: 12 January 2022, 17:05 »
I must admit I do think it looks pretty cool (would look better with a shorter plate) but I don't personally think it's worth it, limiting a performance car with something as minor as a number plate.

I assume the "clips" mentioned in the relevant post allow for the plate to be easily removed for photos. 

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #11997 on: 12 January 2022, 18:01 »
I must admit I do think it looks pretty cool (would look better with a shorter plate) but I don't personally think it's worth it, limiting a performance car with something as minor as a number plate.

I assume the "clips" mentioned in the relevant post allow for the plate to be easily removed for photos.

A number plate positioned to the side isn’t really my cup of tea - unless it’s an Alfa Romeo - but it’s good we don’t all like the same things.

If I did relocate the number plate, my car OCD wouldn’t let me leave the original number plate fixing holes in the bumper exposed - I’d have to get the holes filled and the bumper repainted. I really like the wheels though in the first picture that @SionOnTheCob posted.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Online willni

• I live here
« Reply #11998 on: 15 January 2022, 17:14 »
After 2 weeks of sitting caked in dirt broke out the wash mitt, no fun driving either as the roads are that greasy at the minute it's an accident waiting to happen.

Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11999 on: 15 January 2022, 20:26 »
After 2 weeks of sitting caked in dirt broke out the wash mitt, no fun driving either as the roads are that greasy at the minute it's an accident waiting to happen.

Looks fantastic! Two weeks though between washing is nothing, mine was last cleaned in August :embarrassed: I wanted to do it on my last day off but I was put off when I went out to find the door handles were frozen! It's got to be done soon though, the rear plate is getting a bit difficult to read....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.