Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2777284 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #12010 on: 17 January 2022, 07:40 »
Decided to give the undercarriage a full clean up and details. Not too bad for a nearly 4 year old car ?

2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #12011 on: 17 January 2022, 07:59 »
@Paul70 have you decided to keep your CS40 now and part with your CS45??
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #12012 on: 17 January 2022, 08:45 »
The car sits perfectly on those 18s, not sure if it’s the style of wheel, or because it’s 3dr, or perhaps the way you’ve taken the pic!

I completely agree with you Yusee, the Belvederes compliment the 3 door MK7 GTI, far more (imo) than the 5 door. They are a fab wheel and as Will said they improve the handling, especially with the correct tyres.

Picture of mine - not the best pic in the world but shows the profile well.

Yes, again looks very nice on 18s.
Is there a marked improvement in handling?
I realise this is a reduction in unsprung weight but- assuming a total weight saving of around 16kg on the parkers- that doesn’t seem a lot.
in this context 16kg is massive.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #12013 on: 17 January 2022, 08:51 »
The car sits perfectly on those 18s, not sure if it’s the style of wheel, or because it’s 3dr, or perhaps the way you’ve taken the pic!

I completely agree with you Yusee, the Belvederes compliment the 3 door MK7 GTI, far more (imo) than the 5 door. They are a fab wheel and as Will said they improve the handling, especially with the correct tyres.

I realise this is a reduction in unsprung weight but- assuming a total weight saving of around 16kg on the parkers- that doesn’t seem a lot.
in this context 16kg is massive.

Though I’ve read about it, I suppose I’ve not really appreciated the importance of unsprung weight.
It’ll cost me a lot of money to find out. Damn.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #12014 on: 17 January 2022, 11:57 »

Although it's easy to stay 4kg per alloy 16kg overall, there's an unsprung mass factor, in ideal conditions this can be as high as 6.5 times, conservatively I go with the common theme of 4 times. So 16kg x 4 = 64kg but that's all above my head.

I definitely notice it drives nicer and feels sharper in the corners versus my 12kg T-Roc Prets, but again I'm not person to ask as I would really need Michelin PS4's or Goodyear Asy F1's on to make a fair comparison.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #12015 on: 17 January 2022, 12:00 »
@Paul70 have you decided to keep your CS40 now and part with your CS45??

Hi madstaff, yes it might seem a little crazy but I sold the CS45 just over a week ago. Each to their own but absolutely no regrets. I would recommend anyone to have a thorough test drive of the MK8 before deciding to change their MK7.
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #12016 on: 17 January 2022, 12:13 »
Decided to give the undercarriage a full clean up and details. Not too bad for a nearly 4 year old car ?

Looks fantastic mate!
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #12017 on: 17 January 2022, 15:44 »
On the issue of lighter wheels, anyone noticed any worsening in ride quality with lighter wheels?
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #12018 on: 17 January 2022, 17:25 »
On the issue of lighter wheels, anyone noticed any worsening in ride quality with lighter wheels?

Can't say I noticed a difference between them and my old Sevilla's for ride quality, your choice in tyre would make the biggest difference, I've always found Bridgestones uncomfortable but Goodyear, Michelin and Pirelli all drive nicely.

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #12019 on: 17 January 2022, 19:15 »

Thought it would improve ride quality as there is less work for the suspension to do due to reduced un-sprung weight??
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI