Author Topic: MK3 Golf 1.8t Project  (Read 37506 times)

Offline snail_on_skunk

• Not said much yet
  • MK3 Golf GTI 20VT
MK3 Golf 1.8t Project
« on: 06 January 2013, 19:20 »
Hello, kinda new to the forum so thought it only right that i show you guys what ive done so far

Well, always been into my VW, and the MK3 is my favourite shape, best combo of old and new looks in my opinion, so went out on the hunt for a perfect base model to start my project, took 9 months but finally found one, a MK3 golf, 2 door 16v GTI with NO SUNROOF! (they always leak and no need for it, i have windows for fresh air!)

I drove almost 5 hours to collect, 6 on the way back (cause i got a bit lost) and within 2 hours of it being home, here is the result!

All out!

While i was searching for the car, i came across an engine that i couldnt say no to! Found someone at a car meet with a mint a3 1.8t (agu engine code) and one night some idiot in a bmw thought he was a drift king and wrote the car off, luckily for me, he wanted to get rid of the engine, so picked up the complete engine with everything, wiring loom, key, dials for £500, which is when i decided to strip it and make sure for my self that it was perfect!

Then the tear down started, i decided to put as little back on the engine as possible, i wasnt going to run anything that didnt make the car run, so aircon was removed, secondary air removed and all that rubbish!

Had a couple of little leaks but nothing major, so then the minor detailing started and putting it back together.

So, back to the car. I checked out the engine bay while the engine was out, no signs of rust, so no need to get that sprayed, just removed everything unnessessary and all wax from chassis legs and polished. Cheap and easy, and came out really nice, if i do say so myself!

Seen as i had a 16v gti to start off with, this made it very easy for gearbox, as i used the original 16v gearbox. I also opted for a G60 flywheels and clutch, as it would be a comfortable drive as i will be using the car as an everyday driver. I didnt get the flywheel skimmed as i wanted quite a heavy flywheel, helps with the torque a bit.

During this stage, had a word with jamie at Jtecautomotive (as they would be the guys to wire up the engine for me, and the desicion for a K04 turbo and matching injectors was made, but this would mean modifying the inlet manifold to accept the 225 injectors to a manifold that would be running throttle cable (i used a vr6 cable)

Out came the angle grinder!  :evil:

Once finished, i also had a bit of a mess around with the front end to accomodate the FMIC, but i wanted it to sit slightly higher and far back, so that it would be as hidden as possible, going for a sleeper look. Still need to try and find black jubilee clamps or just paint mine black so its a bit more stealthy.

Then the black heat paint came out and fitted everything back just to see how hidden it was, think i done alright.

Now was time for engine installment and boost pipe ordering. As i was going for a k04 turbo, i ordered up a downpipe from qpeng, and to keep everything the same, i kept all piping (exhaust and inlet side) all 2 1/2 inch, will black silicone pipes, for obvious reasons. The only thing i had trouble with was getting a custom made oil return pipe made up, i made sure it was alot thicker that the standard return pipe as i have a friend running a 1.8t k04 and the turbo blew due to oil build up, so dont want that. Here is the engine ready for mounting and fully mounted (dont have any while i was lowering it as it was late when i started to fit and wanted to get it in!)

With the engine in, i started at wiring. The first thing i wanted to do was rip out the sorry excuse for an immobilizer that came fitted to the mk3 golfs from factory, as i wasnt happy with how it worked, and i wouldnt have been happy with just "piggy backing" it with another alarm, so the entire dash came out, and any wire that went that immobilizer unit removed.

The only thing that i needed now was wiring the engine, exhaust system and a set of wheels to finish off the "stealth look" so i started searching, and i came across a set of 16x6 steel wheels, that had the "lips" painted silver with what looked like hammerite, including genuine drip marks and scratches. So after handing over a whole £35 and a new set of tyres waiting, they got mounted and the car took its journey down to Jtec to finish the wiring and exhaust!

While the car was away, a couple of extras came about that i couldnt say no to, these included a vento front end, 2 sets of lights (just incase) and 3 types of vento grill, one was the very early style one that had never been painted or marked and set of porsche teledial wheels, 16x7 at front and 16x8 at rear, picked up those for £75 as the guy didnt know what he was selling. One has a flat spot so this will have to be straightened before i get them acid dipped and powder coated silver with yellow and red crests.

And now we are up to the current date!

Went down to Jtec the other day to see how they were getting on, and they had it running already, all wiring wrapped in furry tape, giving it that OEM look. They also fitted a vr6 air mass meter as this is 3" diameter to match the k04 turbo tip and it worked better with with the AGU ecu. And this is how it looks as it stands, all that is required now is a ECU map and dyno test and insurance!

I also opted for a single exit, slash cut exhaust as i didnt want it to look like a VR from behind, so we had the cat removed and centre silencer removed and only the back box, which suprizingly isnt that loud at all, until u give it a bit!  :grin:

For mapping, ive opted to take the car to Rtec up in leister, they are one the best used my my mates, and the guys up there are animals with 1.8t engines, proof of it is my friends seat ibiza cupra, that we upgraded his turbo and injector to a K04 with 225bhp injectors and he is now getting a healthy 267bhp at the flywheel on an "economical" map with no spikes (as the k04 are known for this)

New updates coming soon, once i get some cash for a map and insurance!  :cry:
6N2 Polo 1.4 8v
Mk3 Golf GTi 8v
Mk3 Golf GTi 20VT

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
Re: MK3 Golf 1.8t Project
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2013, 21:49 »
nice little project

only things id not have put on the engine whist it was in bits is the standard KO4 manifold as that flows about as well as a drinks straw and the Qpeng K04 pipe is terrible quality and known for cracking :nerd:

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline snail_on_skunk

• Not said much yet
  • MK3 Golf GTI 20VT
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2013, 22:08 »
Well intentions for now are to enjoy it how it is then when I save up a bit, 2.0 stroker kit, k04 hybrid and equal length custom manifold and 3" Downpipe. I've heard mixed things about the manifold, some day they don't breathe we'll enough, but talking to companies that do the conversions, they've said they got decent numbers out of those manifolds, as am I'm running on standard rods and pistons for now, don't wanna push it too much!  :cool:
6N2 Polo 1.4 8v
Mk3 Golf GTi 8v
Mk3 Golf GTi 20VT

Offline CJA321

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2013, 23:16 »
Thought you should do internals on an AGU before going k04? Or am i wrong/missed something?

Lotsa 20vt mk3 going about now. Nice one looks good. Good work!

« Last Edit: 06 January 2013, 23:31 by CJA321 »

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #4 on: 06 January 2013, 23:28 »
No messing about,  good stuff.

Offline snail_on_skunk

• Not said much yet
  • MK3 Golf GTI 20VT
« Reply #5 on: 07 January 2013, 00:23 »
Was contemplating internals when i had the engine stripped but found out AGU are stronger engines, just bam engines got stronger internals, plus the big port head should help it breathe better. Ill eventually strip it down again, detail the bay properly, 350bhp is the goal. Just dont know whether to go interior and looks first or power! Power is always more tempting!  :rolleyes:

I havnt seen any other MK3 20VT around my area, im north london area, only ever see vr's and decked 1.4s!  :nerd:

« Last Edit: 07 January 2013, 00:26 by snail_on_skunk »
6N2 Polo 1.4 8v
Mk3 Golf GTi 8v
Mk3 Golf GTi 20VT

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #6 on: 07 January 2013, 09:53 »
No messing about,  good stuff.

This... Should be a fast paced thread.  :cool:

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #7 on: 07 January 2013, 17:37 »
Was contemplating internals when i had the engine stripped but found out AGU are stronger engines, just bam engines got stronger internals, plus the big port head should help it breathe better. Ill eventually strip it down again, detail the bay properly, 350bhp is the goal. Just dont know whether to go interior and looks first or power! Power is always more tempting!  :rolleyes:

I havnt seen any other MK3 20VT around my area, im north london area, only ever see vr's and decked 1.4s!  :nerd:

AGU internals are the same as any normal 20vt, .. the large port does not do much at all, infact the reason the bigger turbo cars had the smaller port was due to Torque

you need to read up some more, and also the AMK is the same as a BAM, these are the 2 stronger ones, pistons are different from lesser engines etc

the bits you want to change are the Rods tho, this is the weak link on the 20VT, i have done all this to mine (Audi S3 lump) but  have ditched the K04 and got a Audi RS2 MTM big turbo kit thats currently 350 bhp at 10psi, soon to be further mapped

you wont get much better than 260 bhp with your current set up however if its set up right it feel immense in the mk3.

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline snail_on_skunk

• Not said much yet
  • MK3 Golf GTI 20VT
« Reply #8 on: 07 January 2013, 19:53 »
260 is fine for me, not much space to use it round here anyways, i do 31 in a 30 and i get pulled over!

Ye, work at Audi so all too familiar with the pre and post facelift S3's with different engine codes, and the hundreds of other 1.8t engine codes there are.

For now the rods will do, like i said, want to enjoy it while its "tame" in a sense, plus, only 23, did this because this was the car i think VW should have brought out. For an engine that fits almost perfectly in with only wiring modification to consider, VW made the 1.8t for the A3 in 1997, they knew it fitted in the MK3 and they wanted us to do this!  :grin:

Like the use of the RS2 turbo also, nice way to keep within the brand! Had thoughts about a bigger turbo too, only one that looked good for my style of driving was the "disco potatoe" (plus think it a cool name for a turbo!)  :nerd:

What size pistons did you go for if you dont mind me asking, was thinking of going for 83mm intergrated items with H-type rods and the 2.0 fsi (or tsi, ive forgotten) crank to make it a 2.0!
6N2 Polo 1.4 8v
Mk3 Golf GTi 8v
Mk3 Golf GTi 20VT

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #9 on: 07 January 2013, 21:06 »
Disco potato?