Author Topic: Building wired network  (Read 3829 times)

Offline admc6

• I live here
Building wired network
« on: 25 July 2012, 08:22 »
Hi,

I'm in the middle of re wiring my house and thought while I'm making a mess I would run some network cable through aswell.

If I run some cat 5 between a couple of wall plates, something like....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0019QVO5O/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=sr_1_27&qid=1343136314&sr=8-27

Would that work ok?

Anything I need to look out for?

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
Re: Building wired network
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2012, 11:00 »
personally i wouldnt bother, esp with power link now available. uses your existing power network to send the data required to anywhere in your house. :nerd:

Offline admc6

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 25 July 2012, 13:26 »
Would you not get a better connection with a proper cable?

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 25 July 2012, 13:30 »

the actual losses are so small you would be hard pushed to find that a dedicated cable gives you a better conection. Although I would have though the cost of cable + labour would not have been feasible.

Its your call... but why bother when there is a product on the market to cover this exact problem, you are after all still hard wired to your router/hub

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
« Reply #4 on: 25 July 2012, 15:10 »

the actual losses are so small you would be hard pushed to find that a dedicated cable gives you a better conection. Although I would have though the cost of cable + labour would not have been feasible.

Its your call... but why bother when there is a product on the market to cover this exact problem, you are after all still hard wired to your router/hub

any Cat 5e or Cat6 cable will give you double the speed, the fastest ethernet over power at the moment is what upto 500Mbps Gigabit is 1000Mbps a top end kit will cost you ~ £60 for a point to point kit, for the same money you should be able to get 100M of cat6 and the facing plates.

I personally have my house wired up for full gigabit, in terms of throughput difference between the power link stuff, you wont notice any unless you're moving large files around e.g. on the powerlink stuff you'll get around 50MB a sec on gigabit 100MB per sec.

the powerlink stuff does solve a problem but if you're already re-wiring your house then drop a few cat5e or cat6 cables down whilst you're doing it.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 25 July 2012, 15:38 »
I agree about the download speeds... but I guess it boils down to how much you really need the full bandwidth available

Offline admc6

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 25 July 2012, 15:50 »
I know I'm able to acquire cable and sockets for fairly cheap and we are doing full re wire ourselves so labour is just our own time.

Would fixing cable to a face plate either end (like the one in previous post) work ok?

Can I run the cable next to power cables without problem?

Offline Adam

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 25 July 2012, 16:45 »

To reduce "noise" I would opt for a shielded cat5e or cat6 cable.

Down Hill From Here.

Offline admc6

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 25 July 2012, 17:19 »
Any other tips?

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 25 July 2012, 18:27 »

To reduce "noise" I would opt for a shielded cat5e or cat6 cable.

Make sure you earth any shielded cable you use or it will have the opposite effect and amplify the noise .
Golfgti build quality is average at best.