Author Topic: driveshaft flange problems......  (Read 2599 times)

vwsystems

driveshaft flange problems......
« on: 18 June 2004, 23:59 »
2 bolts have snapped in my flange the flange on the nearside........ which is abit crammed.......

so  at the moment its only being held on by 4 bolts 2 at top and 2 at bottom with the spacers and 1 either side which have bolts snapped in them...... the bits are flush with the flange thats why i cant get them out
out ive manged to get aother flange of a lad i know....

but what i need to know is that can i buy the little cap seperate as he said that they only come in a kit which you get the drive shaft seal, circlip, and the metal cap....

i need
gear oil
3 new bolts
a splined bit
and probibly this kit......

i'm very short of cash at the moment.... so i need to save money....... what i need to know is can i just buy the cap seperate, and if i can would me pulling the flange off damage the seal....... because if thats the case i may aswell get the kit

also does the seal prise out easy........

i also need a driveshaft flange gasket which goes around the bolts....... i may also need some moly grease........

i come to do a simple job and i find that theres 3 bolts which have snapped i knew 1 had and 1 snapped this morning but when i came to do it i find theres 3......
and 2 are stuck in!  >:(

golfvr6

Re:driveshaft flange problems......
« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2004, 00:02 »
Can you get in with a drill, and then use an easy out?

golfvr6

« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2004, 00:04 »
What type of flange has it got?
there are 2 diff types.
they both come off quite easy, but one is a pain to refit.

vwsystems

« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2004, 00:20 »
its got 6 bolts around it...... its for a mk 2 gti.... 8v

the flange the lad give me has a sping on the back.....
and on the front it has a metal cap which is now naf
and then it has a circlip holding it on.......

he took it off a scrap g box he just undid the clip took a washer out and then tapped it off with a hammer.

Offline MK1_BOY

• Here all the time
  • Low Low bored out MK1 Golf GTI Campaign.
« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2004, 00:29 »
Nice Passat , wanna try and get one of thoes for my next company car....  CLASSY pic VWSYSTEMS  ;D
Race ya...

Offline MK1_BOY

• Here all the time
  • Low Low bored out MK1 Golf GTI Campaign.
« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2004, 00:30 »
P.S 6 your GAY.....  ;D :-*  Kiss ME
Race ya...

golfvr6

« Reply #6 on: 19 June 2004, 00:37 »
I think its the earlier type.
You need to compress the flange in to remove the circlip, the flange will then pop off, there should be a thread in the shaft, you will see it when you remove the cap. Thread a bolt in with a bar across the flange, this will enable you to remove/refit the circlip.
I may have a spare cap in my shed, i'll try and have a look tomorrow. I have a gearbox off a scirocco 1.6 carb, they are the smaller flanges compared with the gti, but i expect the caps are the same.
You don't really need to replace the driveshaft gasket, i never have and have never had problems. You will need more moly grease to put in the inner cv.
As for the gearbox flange seal, you won't damage it if you are carefull removing the flange, and no the seal doesn't come out easily!  ;)

golfvr6

« Reply #7 on: 19 June 2004, 00:38 »
P.S 6 your GAY.....  ;D :-*  Kiss ME

whats up? Rich not yours tonight?  :D

here ya go

:-* :-* :-*

vwsystems

« Reply #8 on: 19 June 2004, 00:41 »
right i'll sort it out.......... ive got so much to do so little time........... :'(

golfvr6

« Reply #9 on: 19 June 2004, 00:43 »
Good luck mate  ;)