Author Topic: Tyre rotation  (Read 1474 times)

Offline papperbear

• GTI forum regular
  • Ding Dang Doo ...!
Tyre rotation
« on: 18 June 2004, 12:43 »
Guys and girls,

I've noticed that my rear off side wheel is on the wrong way - the rotation arrow points to the right.  Am I right in assuming that this is only a problem in the wet as the channels of the tyre wont throw out the water the right way.

Basically, am I ok to leave the tyre on or do I need to change it?

Cheers
Steve

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
Re:Tyre rotation
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2004, 13:27 »
I'd change it.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline benjam_in

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2004, 13:31 »
or drive backwards  ???

Golf Mk2 Gti 1988

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2004, 13:32 »
^^, definitely, get it changed dude.

Incorrect rotation means (believe it or not) increased grip, but the wear rate goes through the roof, so you'll kill it in just a few thousand miles.

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline richy

• I live here
  • neeeeeeeowm
« Reply #4 on: 18 June 2004, 13:51 »
Hello.   Is it just one wheel, or just the back ones both put on the wrong sides?  I assume it's just the one.

Have you had this car for ages, or was the incorrectly fitted tyre put on since you bought the car?  If its the latter, you should be able to get the tyre place to change it cos it's blatently their fault.

(Simon, when did you get your turbo-tractor remapped/chipped?  180-odd BHP is sweet.)
54-plate Golf 2.0 FSI GT.  Leather interior.

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2004, 14:07 »
(Simon, when did you get your turbo-tractor remapped/chipped?  180-odd BHP is sweet.)

Not remapped dude, just a goodun!! I've had numerous people tell me now that most PD150's leave the factory with mid 160's, so I guess I've just been v lucky, and looked after it right  ;D

Based on the figures that everyone else got, I'm pretty sure the rollers were reasonably accurate too

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Fielder5757

« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2004, 15:25 »
Get it changed IMMEDIATALLY! it increases your chances of a blow out by a large amount.  :o

Mixologist

« Reply #7 on: 18 June 2004, 22:53 »
I'd change it, if the manufacturer is saying that it should only rotate in one direction, then, errrmmmm, it should go that way!!!

So change it dude, or you'll screw something up!!

Offline papperbear

• GTI forum regular
  • Ding Dang Doo ...!
« Reply #8 on: 21 June 2004, 09:09 »

Went to the garage to change the tyre, and thought I could just take it off the alloy and put it the right way round.  Good idea apart from the inner tube had come through the tyre wall in 2 places - so was goosed!

Thanks for all your help with this as it could have blown out anytime!!  I owe you all a cold bottle of bud!!

:)