Author Topic: MK7 and VCDS (VAG-COM) thread  (Read 789353 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: MK7 and VCDS (VAG-COM) thread
« Reply #730 on: 06 March 2015, 07:37 »
Actually, you were wrong.

I genuinely had no idea what this "tear drop" was... so I asked.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline dv52

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #731 on: 06 March 2015, 08:06 »

Thanks for the clarification!
103TSI Highline ROW (my13)

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #732 on: 06 March 2015, 08:16 »

Thanks for the clarification!

Further clarification, i did know what it was, that was just my attempt at humour, poor as it may be :smiley:
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #733 on: 06 March 2015, 11:15 »
I've got an "R" mate so it has the inner DRL, but when you look at them straight on, the inner is slightly dimmer and I would like it as bright as the outer. :evil:

Ah yeah, reading the posts back that is apparent. Silly me. Have you tried doing the 100% DRL brightness code on your R and seeing the results?
No, need to find someone with a VCDS (in Darlington) as I've got a couple of things I would like doing.

Well I'm near Durham mate (slightly closer than mcmaddy) but work in Teesside if you need anything.
Thanks mate, and again, noted.

Offline BOFH

• Just got here
« Reply #734 on: 09 March 2015, 00:45 »
Guys,

I have a mild annoyance with the bi-xenon headlights.

I have DLA and FLA, and I leave the light button on "auto".

When it's dark and my xenons are on, when I pull the light stalk to flash my high beams, the shutters move to raise the beam and lower it when I release it, which is OK. People in front of me see it (pretty well, since I understand these can be quite blinding).

However, when I'm on the road in a sunny day, my xenons are off (which is normal), but when i pull the light stalk to flash my high beams at someone, the xenon lamps strike, but the shutters don't move, meaning that i just flash the ground, and people don't see my flash at all.

I've done the code to also flash my fogs, but I would really prefer to finally find out how to raise my high beams shutters when the low beams are off initially. Sometimes, I need to actually turn the lights button manually all the way to turn my headlights on to be then able to flash. Seems like there must be a better way.

Did people here with xenon notice the same thing?

I've seen the BCM comparison chart of dv52, but my Leuchte 10 Shutter is set to "not active", and when I set it to "Type 2 - Shutter", it doesn't have any effect on the shutter, they just don't move at all, whatever values I put in "function" and "dimming value".

I've tried disabling "dynamic light assist" in the car settings, but it doesn't seem to change that behaviour.

Any pointer would be more than welcome!

Thanks guys!

Offline dv52

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #735 on: 09 March 2015, 02:30 »
Guys,

I have a mild annoyance with the bi-xenon headlights.

I have DLA and FLA, and I leave the light button on "auto".

When it's dark and my xenons are on, when I pull the light stalk to flash my high beams, the shutters move to raise the beam and lower it when I release it, which is OK. People in front of me see it (pretty well, since I understand these can be quite blinding).

However, when I'm on the road in a sunny day, my xenons are off (which is normal), but when i pull the light stalk to flash my high beams at someone, the xenon lamps strike, but the shutters don't move, meaning that i just flash the ground, and people don't see my flash at all.

I've done the code to also flash my fogs, but I would really prefer to finally find out how to raise my high beams shutters when the low beams are off initially. Sometimes, I need to actually turn the lights button manually all the way to turn my headlights on to be then able to flash. Seems like there must be a better way.

Did people here with xenon notice the same thing?

I've seen the BCM comparison chart of dv52, but my Leuchte 10 Shutter is set to "not active", and when I set it to "Type 2 - Shutter", it doesn't have any effect on the shutter, they just don't move at all, whatever values I put in "function" and "dimming value".

I've tried disabling "dynamic light assist" in the car settings, but it doesn't seem to change that behaviour.

Any pointer would be more than welcome!

Thanks guys!

BOFH: Hi. Given the dynamic in my past few inaugural posts, I'm hesitant to say anything more about DLA and "Assisted light" functions on the mk7- LOL  I'm only kidding - the banter has been interesting, if nothing else!

The above notwithstanding, I would like to make a suggestion regarding your attempts at "Leuchte programming" and I'd welcome comments from others here. From my reading of what you have said, I understand that you have attempted to wake-up the two Shutters by entering "2 - Shutter; Diagnosesensierung für 'LED low'" into the first adaptation channel of the two appropriate Leuchte channel sets.

I wrote a paper on Leutche programming that you can find on VWW. Without duplicating the content of the paper, the salient points  in my diatribe go something like this (Note: I will only describe the stuff that's pertinent to your shutter issue):

(1) For each lamp that is controlled by the BCM (there are 35 of these - some of which are not active), each Leuchte channel set is made-up of 5 x groupings which I have called a Leuchte Channel Sub-Set. These sub-set groupings are:
  •   1 x sub-set of 3 x adaptation channels that determine the set-up critera
  • 4 x sub sets that can be separately programmed to control the light's behaviour.  Each of these "control" sub sets has 4 x adaptation channels
So, 3 x set-up channels, plus 4 x control sub-groups (i.e. 16 x channels)  = 19 x adaptation channels, which I have called a Leuchte Channel  Set. The anatomy of the apha-numeric descriptor for the Leuchte channels set is made-up of a combination of the anagram for the lights function (in German) and the PIN connector number on the BCM for that light. For example in the channel set for the RHS shutter, the descriptor  11SHUTTER RB22 means that the light is on the RHS (R) and the shutter is connected to PIN 22 of the B socket on the BCM. The number 11 links the Leuchte set to its mysterious twin "lighting Configuration" channels - but I know little about these second set of adaptation channels (I'd would be delighted if anyone here has any information about these channels)

(2) Each of the 4 x "control" sub -sets in (2) above has  two alpha characters (i.e. A, B, C, D) in the first two channels (the settings in these 2 x channels will determine the light's function) and the last two channels are the "control commands" for the pair of alphas.  The first of these control command channels is Dimmwert which determines the light intensity. In general (there are some exceptions) when an incandescent lamp is used, the Dimmwert setting can be up to 100 and an LED lamp can have a setting as high as 127. The second control command channel determines how this intensity setting is delivered  (i.e. maximum, minimum etc.)

(3) a special case is made for the second control command channel in the first control sub-set. In this channel the term HD appears (which is Heckdeckel, or in English "trunk-lid"). This channel determines how the light will behave when the Hatch is open, or closed. The allowable settings in the HD adaptation channel can be either always, or only_if_closed, which are self explanatory.

Here endeth the lesson and I hope that this explanation hasn't been too confusing!

So to fully awaken the two shutters (from a Leuchte programming perspective), you will need to set-up the facility in the first three adaptation channels and then you will need to fully specify the characteristics of the shutter in the first command sub-group.

Here's  how I believe the shutters should be programmed (hopefully, the settings in the tables below will make sense by reference to my explanation above - please ask if I've confused you):

My apology for the long-winded explanation if you already knew this!
« Last Edit: 09 March 2015, 03:37 by dv52 »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #736 on: 09 March 2015, 08:06 »
^^^Now THATS a reply and a half!

Awesome work!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline BOFH

• Just got here
« Reply #737 on: 09 March 2015, 08:26 »
dv52, WOW, thanks so much for the long explaination!

I didn't see the long version of this yet, but i will definitely read it now that I heard it exists. I am amazed at just how much knowledge you accumulated on these :)

By translating other blog posts from german, i've been able to get a decent grasp of leuchte programming and I had a great success with all the other channels of my MK7.

That's also why I'm confused that these particular Leuchte Channel Sets don't seem to do anything on mine.

I have applied these, except for the "Lampendefektbitposition" and "Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC" which wouldn't accept my programming (enter an hexadecimal value... whereas i'm pretty sure 37 is hexa)

(1)-Leuchte10SHUTTER LB23-Lasttyp 102 - Shutter; Diagnosesensierung für 'LED low'
(2)-Leuchte10SHUTTER LB23-Lampendefektbitposition 1000 (can't put 37)
(3)-Leuchte10SHUTTER LB23-Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC 1000 (can't put 1E)
(4)-Leuchte10SHUTTER LB23-Lichtfunktion A 10Left high beam
(5)-Leuchte10SHUTTER LB23-Lichtfunktion B 10Lichthupe generell
(6)-Leuchte10SHUTTER LB23-Dimmwert AB 10127

But of course, it just has no effect at all; when my lights button is on "0" or when it's bright enough outside, pulling my stalk still doesn't rise the left shutter. I havent bothered configuring the right shutter seeing as the left one didn't work.

Do you think the 2 bytes I couldn't copy are the culprit?
Could it be that it will ignore the value if I don't program the right shutter too? (that's probably the next thing I'll try)

dv52, I seem to see your adaptation channels indicate you have xenon headlights, do you also have DLA/FLA? Do your beams rise when you flash while your low beams are initially off?

Thanks so much for your help, seriously appreciated.

Offline dv52

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #738 on: 09 March 2015, 10:55 »
BOFH: Definitely some curious stuff happening on your car! May I ask the history of the vehicle-please? Did your car come fitted with Xenon lamps, or have they been retrofitted? Have you made the coding change to BIT 5-6 of Byte 6 in the BCM (so that the BCM recognises the shutters)?

dv52, I seem to see your adaptation channels indicate you have xenon headlights, do you also have DLA/FLA? Do your beams rise when you flash while your low beams are initially off?

How up-to-date is the version of my spreadsheet that you have (I have updated it a couple of times)? My car is the one headed 103TSI  on the latest version and you will notice in shutters are not activated. I have plain ordinary halogen lamps - alas.

Someone here with DLA/FLA is far better qualified (than am I) to provide advice on the shutter behaviour on your car. But as a prompt for others to reply, I've just checked with a VWVortex forum colleague who has xenon lamps on his car ( it's an NAR model). My colleague has confirmed that on his car the xenon lamps ignite and the shutters open when he flashes high beam during daylight hours! Not sure if ROW models are different, but I would think that they are the same.

PS:If you can't fix your problem, it's a easy task to change the adaptation settings so that your low beam lights flash when the stalk is operated - I'm happy to give you the tweak instructions if you want

I have applied these, except for the "Lampendefektbitposition" and "Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC" which wouldn't accept my programming (enter an hexadecimal value... whereas i'm pretty sure 37 is hexa)

(1)-Leuchte10SHUTTER LB23-Lasttyp 102 - Shutter; Diagnosesensierung für 'LED low'
(2)-Leuchte10SHUTTER LB23-Lampendefektbitposition 1000 (can't put 37)
(3)-Leuchte10SHUTTER LB23-Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC 1000 (can't put 1E)
(4)-Leuchte10SHUTTER LB23-Lichtfunktion A 10Left high beam
(5)-Leuchte10SHUTTER LB23-Lichtfunktion B 10Lichthupe generell
(6)-Leuchte10SHUTTER LB23-Dimmwert AB 10127

Do you think the 2 bytes I couldn't copy are the culprit?

OK, now this is real strange!

I suspect that you already know this, but the setting in (4)-Leuchte10SHUTTER LB23-Lichtfunktion A 10 enables the high-beam flash function and the setting in (5)-Leuchte10SHUTTER LB23-Lichtfunktion B 10 enables the normal high beam-on function

The two adaptation channels that you can't alter are the fault detect channels. You are correct the settings are Hexadecimal addresses (not decimal). Again not much is known about these two channels, but from my analysis of other vehicles I believe that the settings for the parenthesis (2) and (3) channels  must be unique values that appear no where else in any of the other 35 x lamps

Here's the settings for all the current vehicles in my spreadsheet for Lampendefektbitposition channel for every light. I've ordered the table according to the last column (Highline - it happens to be a NAR model). You can see that each setting is unique for this car (and for all other cars) - except of course for HEX0

Here's the same table, but this time for  Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC channel

Same thing - all settings are unique
Is it possible that an other Leuchte channel in your car has already been assigned these values? Have you done an admap for the BCM on your car yet - it's the best way to check this.

^^^Now THATS a reply and a half!

Awesome work!

Fred - many thanks for your kind words

« Last Edit: 09 March 2015, 13:40 by dv52 »

Offline kevinm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #739 on: 09 March 2015, 17:28 »
@dv52: That is some great work you have done there. What is FLA? Is it lane assist?

My car is RHD, has xenons and dynamic light assist. I took an adaption map of every module before I started tweaking with vcds. Would the scans from my car be of any use to you?
Current: His: 2020 M340i   Hers: 2019 GTD

Previous:
2014 GTI PP DSG
GTI ED30 DSG