Author Topic: Another Timing Chain!!  (Read 10289 times)

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
Re: Another Timing Chain!!
« Reply #30 on: 17 January 2014, 10:53 »
pity.. :whistle:

Offline hms

• Just got here
« Reply #31 on: 17 January 2014, 19:27 »
Dont blaim you.
I watched a program a few months back about the demise of BMC and how they treated customers badly, made poor quality cars and used customers as testers. VW fetured heavily in the program saying how there quality and customer service grew there share of the market and basically killed BMC. VW is now BMC and bettter watch their back if someone like kia get their adverts and acts together.

I don't know if its VW as a whole or dealer to dealer. My experience was great, they helped immensely.

who's to say Portsmouth BWM garage is any better?

And i don't want to jump to any conclusions as ive only glanced over the list, but are people up North getting better deals? As generally most of the customer service up here is very friendly and they really want to help you...

My Dealership seemed to do their best after a bit badgering to help me - I would happily buy car from them, I think I am more disappointed in VW Group.

I am sure BMW might not be any different but I think my lesson learned will be to take the extra year warranty and change cars before their 4th birthday. I am gutted as I normally do that but was squeezing another year out of the Golf to save a bit of money toward the next one. My mate still drives the Golf he got for his 17th Birthday (18 years ago!!) so I thought they were indestructible.

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
« Reply #32 on: 17 January 2014, 21:16 »
It's this new engine the EA888 suppose just teething problems, couldn't go wrong with a belt as long as it was changed. This should now be resolved in the newer cars but time will tell a 2012 car won't be due to break till 2015 so if these stories die away then the issue is fixed.

Which I hope so for the MK7 is using the same engine!
Golf GTI 09, CW, Bi-Xenon, DCC, 18" Monza's, Jakarta, RNS510, Dynaudio, F&R parking sensors, Winter pack...

Ibiza Deep House mix for DL - https://soundcloud.com/jimmgc51/getting-deep-with-house

Offline highpeak23

• Not said much yet
« Reply #33 on: 20 January 2014, 14:01 »
I don't know if its VW as a whole or dealer to dealer. My experience was great, they helped immensely.

who's to say Portsmouth BWM garage is any better?

And i don't want to jump to any conclusions as i've only glanced over the list, but are people up North getting better deals? As generally most of the customer service up here is very friendly and they really want to help you...

After my own extortion experience from the dealer who dealt with my failure I believe its more down to the dealer rather than
VW as a whole - reasoned with the vastly varying prices being quoted and charged to repair.
Some dealers insist on a partial strip down after diagnostics shows the error code - some don't. Those that do obviously then charge. Some dealers refer the error code to VW Germany and without any further confirmations right at the start have a new F.O.C. engine on the table ( paid for by VW Germany and not the dealer ).
The non chargeable F.O.C. replacement engine is then seemingly used as the carrot by the dealer to then charge for the labour time at what ever they feel they can get away with and with my experience they decide on a customers naivety.

Confirmed to me by VWCS after checking with the VW Germany the allotted labour time is 14 hours to take out and replace and engine. ( The car my garage was recovered to quoted 22 hours and wanted £2350 for labour. ) The exact same work was then quoted by another dealer ( Importantly owned by a different franchise parent company ) using the F.O.C engine at the correct
time charge on 14 hours for a sum of £1150.00.
Exactly the same work using the same free issue parts and a price difference saving of a massive £1200 !

All this using from Day 1 UK VWCS who despite all the overwhelming evidence and facts could not make the original dealer offer a correct price for the work involved - only after 2 weeks of aggro and with the lower quote and my decision to move
garages to repair did the price come down.
After the disgraceful episode was concluded I followed this up with the strongest letter possible to the franchise owner of the dealership - this resulted in the price then being reduced to a final repair bill of £470.00.

I fully believe the situation is being milked and some owners being completely ripped off by dealers seeing a golden opportunity as no direction given or offered by VW Germany....
2.0 TSI GTi 5 Door DSG, 59,  Black, Leather, Full ABT Body Kit.

Offline Ninja

• I live here
  • 19 smiles per gallon
« Reply #34 on: 31 January 2014, 07:35 »
This again reinforces my decision to leave the VW brand.

Utterly disgusting behaviour, which I'm surprised people take! An engine failing after 3-5 years is unacceptable.

Good luck to all who have this issue, I feel for you!