Author Topic: Another Timing Chain!!  (Read 10286 times)

Offline seanule

• Not said much yet
Re: Another Timing Chain!!
« Reply #20 on: 16 January 2014, 15:14 »
Been reading about these timing chain tensioner failures recently and starting to get the fear  :cry:

How common are these faults? mines a 2010 mk6 gti (may build?) 42000 miles on clock

Also is upgradinng to the updated chain tensioner a definitive solution? any info helpful thanks!  :smiley:

Offline GS WAX

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 16 January 2014, 16:52 »
After reading  all post about this issue, i'm wondering why renewing the warranty is not the easiest financial option for most owners, esp those 2010 cars that are just out of the 3yr std warranty, I know from my mk5 experience that the renewal price is pretty cheap,mine was £260 something to renew the all component comprehensive warranty,compared to £473 for a new policy.

If it was my TSI engine car I would renew without hesitation, a lot less worry than wondering when I would have all this grief.
food for thought.

Mind you, still not good of VW to be so negative regarding this situation, warranty or not.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #302

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
« Reply #22 on: 16 January 2014, 17:54 »
However it's worth noting some other guys grief with VW warranty, the small print DOES NOT COVER diagnostics! This fault in particular that charge is anywhere from £800 - 1500 dealership dependant!

Little more food for thought!

Still cheaper than £6,000!
Golf GTI 09, CW, Bi-Xenon, DCC, 18" Monza's, Jakarta, RNS510, Dynaudio, F&R parking sensors, Winter pack...

Ibiza Deep House mix for DL - https://soundcloud.com/jimmgc51/getting-deep-with-house

Offline GS WAX

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 16 January 2014, 18:23 »
However it's worth noting some other guys grief with VW warranty, the small print DOES NOT COVER diagnostics! This fault in particular that charge is anywhere from £800 - 1500 dealership dependant!

Little more food for thought!

Still cheaper than £6,000!

Interesting... after I type this im off to dig out my warranty booklet for a read up of the small print.

I have never been charged a diagnostic fee for warranty work, I was under the assumption that the diagnostic fee could/would be £xxx but in the event that it is proven a component covered by warranty has failed then diagnostic fee is covered by the warranty also.
If that is indeed the case then some VW stealers need a swift kick in the Boll*x.

Thinking about it, it may well be at dealer discretion, for example, 18months or so ago I had a Running issue with my ed30, went to a  local to home VW dealer who confirmed the fault after a road test, then after a scan there was no fault stored,when I collected the car they tried to charge me £180 (£60 x 3) for diagnostic work, for three faults that were logged and unrelated to my original issue.
Needless to say I told them where to go and only paid for one £60.
 I then booked it with another Dealer(local to work) who diagnosed and repaired for FOC,all covered by VW Warranty,have used them ever since and never been charged for fault finding.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #302

Offline hms

• Just got here
« Reply #24 on: 16 January 2014, 19:29 »
Well, I think I have got as far as I can with the settlement negotiation. Have managed to get VW to contribute.

Bottom line and agreed deal £1500 new engine parts and labour. Not ideal but I just want it fixed and then I am off - have put deposit down on a 1 series. Valued VW customer - no, former VW customer - yes.

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #25 on: 16 January 2014, 19:50 »
Dont blaim you.
I watched a program a few months back about the demise of BMC and how they treated customers badly, made poor quality cars and used customers as testers. VW fetured heavily in the program saying how there quality and customer service grew there share of the market and basically killed BMC. VW is now BMC and bettter watch their back if someone like kia get their adverts and acts together.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 17 January 2014, 00:04 »
Dont blaim you.
I watched a program a few months back about the demise of BMC and how they treated customers badly, made poor quality cars and used customers as testers. VW fetured heavily in the program saying how there quality and customer service grew there share of the market and basically killed BMC. VW is now BMC and bettter watch their back if someone like kia get their adverts and acts together.

I dont know if its VW as a whole or dealer to dealer. My experience was great, they helped immensely.

who's to say Portsmouth BWM garage is any better?

And i dont want to jump to any conclusions as ive only glanced over the list, but are people up North getting better deals? As generally most of the customer service up here is very friendly and they really want to help you...

« Last Edit: 17 January 2014, 00:07 by RocketRossUK »
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 17 January 2014, 08:55 »
When VW supply a new engine, what does it comprise of? For instance does it come with new water pump, inlet manifold, throttle body etc?

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
« Reply #28 on: 17 January 2014, 09:53 »
I'd like confirmation of this!

I think it's just the engine everything just gets put back on. One of my foam pipe cover at the front of the engine was ripped and this is still there so kind of confirms this part is the same. I think I'm referring to the manifold!

Sorry don't really have a clue about engines, slowly learning though..
Golf GTI 09, CW, Bi-Xenon, DCC, 18" Monza's, Jakarta, RNS510, Dynaudio, F&R parking sensors, Winter pack...

Ibiza Deep House mix for DL - https://soundcloud.com/jimmgc51/getting-deep-with-house

Offline mwad gti

• Here all the time
« Reply #29 on: 17 January 2014, 10:50 »
When VW supply a new engine, what does it comprise of? For instance does it come with new water pump, inlet manifold, throttle body etc?
It is likely only the block and head. Ancilleries won't be included, they will fit those from the old engine
Candy White 3 dr Manual 2012 GTi. Bought new.
DAB, Dynaudio, Kenwood Head Unit Upgrade, Private Plate,
Full Leather and Heated Seats
18" Shadow Monzas, luxury pack.
Colour coded side skirts and gloss black diffuser.