Author Topic: Avon calling!  (Read 31843 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Avon calling!
« Reply #20 on: 31 January 2023, 18:19 »
Oh no! Mine has gone from occasional to constant. Booked in for mid Feb as that was the first date they had a courtesy car free for a whole day.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 31 January 2023, 18:43 »
Ex it’s so bad it’s almost funny. I’m so fed up of booking this bloody car in but first thing in the morning I’m back to the booking line. BONG! BONG! At least my a pillar rattle has gone.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 31 January 2023, 18:52 »
Has the rattle gone or is it just being drowned out by the Avon lady on the doorbell? 
I’ve got a rattle recently that seems to be coming from the hatch or boot area. I can’t be bothered to book it in for that as well.
In so many ways a fabulous car - driving dynamics, brakes, NVH, etc … but the bloody BONGs! Aaaarrgh!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline AnDrew

• Just got here
« Reply #23 on: 31 January 2023, 19:00 »
These issues are troubling. Sorry for you guys.

Have you been told a new steering wheel is needed, or has that already happened?

There seems to be similar issues on Skoda cars, mentioned a bit on the briskoda forums.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 31 January 2023, 19:26 »

Have you been told a new steering wheel is needed, or has that already happened?

There seems to be similar issues on Skoda cars, mentioned a bit on the briskoda forums.

Affecting current generation Seat and Cupra cars too - and presumably other VAG models built on the MQB platform that share tech and software with the Golf.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 31 January 2023, 20:49 »

Mine was pretty stable for 2 years (had the odd day of tech gremlins but not too bad at all) then started playing up when 1896 was installed at service time. It’s steadily got worse and now is horrific. Mine will be its first visit to a dealer for anything other than routine services.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 02 February 2023, 15:03 »
I don’t want to jinx things but I had a small OTA update this morning. I haven’t had any bongs since…

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 02 February 2023, 16:44 »
Fingers crossed for you Ubique 🤞🏻

Funnily enough it was a few degrees warmer today and… no bongs for me in a 30 mile round trip.

No sign of an OTA on mine though.
What settings does the car need to receive updates from VW?
I’ve gradually switched everything out trying to see if anything makes a difference so am in max privacy. Maybe that means they can’t find me to update me?  :grin: #offgridmk8
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #28 on: 02 February 2023, 16:49 »
I’m fully findable by VW. Minimum privacy in settings, not sure if that opens up OTA? I have nothing to hide lol.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 02 February 2023, 17:15 »
Maybe it’s time for me to come out of hiding and re-expose myself!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner