Author Topic: New Mark 6 GTi Owner....  (Read 13076 times)

Offline ScottA

• I live here
Re: New Mark 6 GTi Owner....
« Reply #10 on: 15 March 2012, 22:18 »
Congrats on buying the car. If it's just looks your after then you might want to think about lowering the back to match? If you're spending on springs why not improve the car at the same time rather than just forking out for standard.

The fronts are too low... if it had been only a slight drop I wouldn't have minded but the are almost rubbing on the arches... nasty IMHO and almost put me off the motor completely!

So they've only lowered the front and not the rear ?? very strange!

Offline NORTHERNER

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 15 March 2012, 22:30 »
Yup... thats what it looks like... difference in drop between the front and back... the car drives nice enough, handled well, didnt jar too much over uneven road surfaces, wasnt skittish, didn't pull to any side when accelerating...etc i.e. it drove like you would expect a GTI to.... but the fronts are definitely lower than the rears... one thing i did notice however is that I didnt feel any real difference between sport, normal and comfort modes on the ACC... but that could just be down to the effect being really subtle... or the springs limiting the effect of the dampeners....

as you say though... quite strange.... the garage I bought it from where a bit clueless TBH but they did try to get the previous owner on the phone to speak to me but they only got his answer phone... they basically took the car as a part ex on an Audi RS4 Estate in february and had only really done minimum checks (i.e. paperwork, log book and history, HPI check)... but they seem pretty well established business, seem to have a good reputation...etc

Dont understand why someone would just do the fronts though... but there is nowt as queer as folk!
Mk 5 GTi, Tornado Red, Leather, Xenons, 18" Monza II's, Sunroof, 6CD in Armrest, Winter pack & Tinted Windows... soon to be adding ED30 front spoiler, plus R32 sideskirts... then getting fully colour coded!
New engine fitted when car was at 27k... last one went "noisey".

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 15 March 2012, 23:07 »
Surprising someone would spend £700 on ACC and then make it completely useless by lowering the car?? As you say, nout queer as folk! :huh:
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline PenguinGTI

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 15 March 2012, 23:32 »
Are you sure it's not something wrong with the ACC? Sounds like the front could have collapsed if they are that low and the back is fine. Definitely worth checking out though.

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 15 March 2012, 23:54 »
Surprising someone would spend £700 on ACC and then make it completely useless by lowering the car?? As you say, nout queer as folk! :huh:

Why would it be useless?
Mine is lowered on ACC and behaves just fine.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 15 March 2012, 23:55 »
Are you sure it's not something wrong with the ACC? Sounds like the front could have collapsed if they are that low and the back is fine. Definitely worth checking out though.

ACC only affects the damping...so even if it fails, the ride height is dictated by the spring, so would be unaffected.

Offline ScottA

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 16 March 2012, 00:03 »

Why would it be useless?
Mine is lowered on ACC and behaves just fine.

What are you lowered on mate?

Offline NORTHERNER

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 16 March 2012, 00:04 »
Ess_three - thanks for that - would it be fair to say the effect of the ACC different settings is reduced with lower/stiffer springs? Tbh I didn't notice much difference between settings which I put down to it being lowered...but then again I have never compared with a stock gti! The last owner was obviously an enthusiast as they have fitted the gti seat inserts and the metal footrest cover... Plus there is an owners club/forum badge on the back so it would explain the tinkering!
Mk 5 GTi, Tornado Red, Leather, Xenons, 18" Monza II's, Sunroof, 6CD in Armrest, Winter pack & Tinted Windows... soon to be adding ED30 front spoiler, plus R32 sideskirts... then getting fully colour coded!
New engine fitted when car was at 27k... last one went "noisey".

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 16 March 2012, 01:46 »
What are you lowered on mate?

VW Racing lowering springs, lowers by 20-25mm.

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 16 March 2012, 01:49 »
Ess_three - thanks for that - would it be fair to say the effect of the ACC different settings is reduced with lower/stiffer springs? Tbh I didn't notice much difference between settings which I put down to it being lowered...but then again I have never compared with a stock gti!

No, the effect is not reduced in any way.
ACC should feel very different between the 3 modes...I find 'normal' is slighlty more compliant than a GTI on standard dampers, 'comfort' is far softer on potholed town roads but can be floaty at speed - say 60+ on the open road...and 'sport' is very hard and too much for all except the smoothest roads.

The steering also gets more aggressive in 'sport'.

Either way, standard or lowered springs, the effect of switching between the 3 modes should be very obvious.