Author Topic: Turbo cast pitting  (Read 799 times)

Offline Scottie-gti

• Not said much yet
Turbo cast pitting
« on: 22 December 2023, 19:23 »
Hi I’m new to posting but been lurking in these forums for about a year now, I brought my 7.5pp in Feb, my first vw and hot hatch and I love it , so I decided to by a turbo elbow off eBay, so I went to fit it today and surprise surprise it doesn’t fit but that’s not the issue, looking into the turbo I noticed a defect in the casting, like its pitted or something? It’s not that rough when you touch it but I don’t like the look of it so thought I’d make a post and get your guys opinion? Should I be worried? The cars a late 2018/2019 See pics

Offline EB2019

• GTI forum regular
Re: Turbo cast pitting
« Reply #1 on: 24 December 2023, 11:38 »
Hi

I assume you mean the light patch on the right hand side? or Just in general?

To me it looks like a Demel type tool has been in there at some point but it must be from the factory?? I have never seen that, and I have seen a lot of turbos working in supply side of the motor trade.

The rest is pretty standard low quality looking, most turbos look pretty average on the lead up to the impeller.

« Last Edit: 24 December 2023, 17:19 by EB2019 »

Offline Scottie-gti

• Not said much yet
Re: Turbo cast pitting
« Reply #2 on: 24 December 2023, 14:54 »
Yeh i wouldn’t have even seen it if i hadn’t of changed the turbo elbow, it looks more like a defect in the cast, nothing seems to be cracked 🤷🏻‍♂️