Poll

Do you turn off your radio screen for driving in the dark?

I do
4 (23.5%)
I don't
13 (76.5%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Who turns off the radio screen when driving?  (Read 1205 times)

Offline willni

• I live here
Who turns off the radio screen when driving?
« on: 13 December 2023, 21:27 »
I'm curious to know how many of us turn off the radio screen when driving at night, now that we're driving in the dark morning and evening.

I also have my profiles set up so ones brighter for driving in the day and the other is fully dimmed for driving at night.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
Re: Who turns off the radio screen when driving?
« Reply #1 on: 13 December 2023, 21:33 »
Just leave mine on Car mode, turbo boost, engine Kw and oil temp gauges.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 13 December 2023, 23:28 »
[/quote

Do you have to select this everytime you start your car or can you set this as the default screen??
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 13 December 2023, 23:57 »
[/quote

Do you have to select this everytime you start your car or can you set this as the default screen??

No, it stays on from previous use though sometimes throws a wobble and the gauges change.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 14 December 2023, 11:02 »

I also have my profiles set up so ones brighter for driving in the day and the other is fully dimmed for driving at night.

I did this, but I kept forgetting about it. Now I just compromise and have it somewhere in the middle

With the wireless AA dongle that just pops up straight away so that's what I have on there. I have oil temp typically on the cluster display

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 14 December 2023, 11:44 »
I'm curious to know how many of us turn off the radio screen when driving at night, now that we're driving in the dark morning and evening.

This feels like that meme 'I turn down the radio so I can see better'...  :grin:

If I don't need it, I would say I'd typically turn it off but actually, I rely on Waze to warn me of the latest potholes.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline GTIreland

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 24 December 2023, 04:45 »

I do but the perk of a 7.5 is that you get to keep listening to music whereas in my 7 it stops. Good for when I'm on it but for motorway driving it would be a boon.

Btw, what do you mean about profiles? It's such a painful song and dance to lower the screen and instruments lightning in the Mk7. It's one of the few things I miss from my Mk5 which has a dial that controls the cabin lighting and takes 2s to go from full brightness to dimmed.
2016 Mk7 GTI PP CSG Manual

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 24 December 2023, 13:26 »

This feels like that meme 'I turn down the radio so I can see better'...  :grin:

:grin: :grin: I do that too much as well, usually with a trailer though.

Btw, what do you mean about profiles? It's such a painful song and dance to lower the screen and instruments lightning in the Mk7. It's one of the few things I miss from my Mk5 which has a dial that controls the cabin lighting and takes 2s to go from full brightness to dimmed.

Not sure if it's in the MIB2 radios or just the MIB2.5 radios but you can turn on driver profiles for different drivers to save settings when you're driving. So I set one up as day and the other as night, so when I jump in I can select one from the steering wheel controls, rather than settling for a medium setting full time. Also great for driving with a headache.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/