Author Topic: New tyres suggestions?  (Read 122207 times)

Offline Pixelmix

• Not said much yet
Re: New tyres suggestions?
« Reply #30 on: 30 December 2014, 16:49 »
Many people swapping front and rear tyres around?

My GTI came with Bridgestones which do seem to spin easily when it is damp. I liked the Goodyears we had on our Scirocco latterly, so will probably go to those or Contis.

Wondering about swapping front to rear at about 8000 and then running them to 15000 or so and replacing all four. I know that people's tyre wear will vary hugely, but does that sound about right from experience of the Bridgestones? Keep them slightly longer? Probably not worth the faff of jacking the car up myself to swap them - are most tyre places happy to do it for a modest charge?

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #31 on: 30 December 2014, 18:15 »
I rotated purely so I didn't have to buy any new tyres before I got my new R. 8/9k miles is probably about right for all tyres being done in at the same time, I waited to 11k miles and at 15k miles now my rears (which were my fronts) are probably around 2.5mm, should last until April/May for the R, but the fronts (were the rears) are still a healthy 5.5mm.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #32 on: 30 December 2014, 18:40 »
I don't drive it like I stole it but how are some of you guys getting more than 10k out of  set of fronts. Mine will need replacing at around 7/8k, which is a bit of a game out here in Cyprus. Not so much getting the tyres, it's finding somewhere to fit them without taking chunks out of the wheels!
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #33 on: 30 December 2014, 18:51 »
I don't drive it like I stole it but how are some of you guys getting more than 10k out of  set of fronts. Mine will need replacing at around 7/8k, which is a bit of a game out here in Cyprus. Not so much getting the tyres, it's finding somewhere to fit them without taking chunks out of the wheels!

Depends on the tyres - those crappy Bridgestones are really hard wearing - I got 21k miles out of a set of fronts on my MK5 170TDI GT Sport, driving it very hard.

Offline Pixelmix

• Not said much yet
« Reply #34 on: 30 December 2014, 21:40 »
Nice one, thanks for the replies. Will probably swap at about 8000 miles depending on how they look, and see how I can go from there. Should time well for swapping all 4 just before next winter. Does mean enduring a summer on Bridgestones though. :/

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #35 on: 31 December 2014, 07:09 »
I've done 10 and half thousand on the contis that came with mine but I can't swap them front to back as I've got an unrepairable puncture on my offside rear. I'll just be replacing all 4 when time comes but I've still got plenty of miles left in them.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline mk7gti

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 31 December 2014, 14:30 »
GolfTi how do the Conti Sports Contact 5's tyres look?. Im due two new fronts and I currently have the Sport Contact 2's. Im a bit anal and I hate why all four tyres don't match. It would appear the 2's are old school now so I will like make the transition to the 5's.

MK7 GTI - Deep Pearl Black - Standard Spec - Ordered 10/12/2015.

MK7 GTI - White - Standard Spec - Service Pack - Collected 11/09/2013.

Offline Buggaluggs

• Not said much yet
« Reply #37 on: 31 December 2014, 18:03 »
:smiley: I'll be going for Yokohama Advan V105's when I replace my tyres on the Gti next year, I had the V103's on my CTR and found them to be very good all round performance. Blackcircles price looks good too.

Just swapped these out for a set of Michelin Super Sports on the spare wheels for the R as when part worn turned out to be woeful and did not respond well to heat, once lap on a sprint course and next two were understeer a go go
Where they the Advan 105's that you had? If they were then maybe Michelin would be a better option, cheers wigit
'Never rub another mans rhubarb!'

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #38 on: 07 January 2015, 17:56 »
My car lease company have back tracked on this arrangement saying changing to Continentals won't make any difference as Bridgestones are just as good tyres as the rest and the tramping could be down to a drive shaft problem. (read from their customer query response notes of course and not from knowledge)

In my opinion, if tyres are of poor quality then who gives a sh*t what the tread looks like they should be replaced.

Tight fisted a'holes  :angry:
Current(2024): MK8 Golf R, Pure White, RV Camera & 19" Estoril Diamond Cut

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #39 on: 07 January 2015, 18:39 »
My car lease company have back tracked on this arrangement saying changing to Continentals won't make any difference as Bridgestones are just as good tyres as the rest and the tramping could be down to a drive shaft problem. (read from their customer query response notes of course and not from knowledge)

In my opinion, if tyres are of poor quality then who gives a sh*t what the tread looks like they should be replaced.

Tight fisted a'holes  :angry:

I've said it before - VW UK need us all to moan about Bridgestones to sit up and listen (and then get VW central to sit up and listen). The VW UK rep stated this in their follow up to my email, they will not act on an isolated incident. Seems no effort at all for us to moan here about them, but too much hassle to construct a well worded email to VW UK to let them know how crap these tyres are (and the wipers).

Is it coincidence that nearly everyone selling their GTI/GTD/R wheels shod in rubber on ebay.de (presumably getting some aftermarket option and want to recoup some money) don't have Bridgestones. To me that says the domestic market don't get sh!tty Bridgestones and VW know exactly what they are doing by giving us them.