Author Topic: Reverse and Brake Assist  (Read 1680 times)

Offline harryhackenbacker

• Not said much yet
Reverse and Brake Assist
« on: 19 October 2013, 10:23 »
Does Brake assist only work going forwards ,mine doesn't seem to hold on reverse ??  .
MK7 R 3 DOOR DSG PEARL BLACK FULL SPEC CARBON
LEATHER

Offline KyleB

• I live here
Re: Reverse and Brake Assist
« Reply #1 on: 19 October 2013, 16:02 »
As soon as your apply any accelerator pressure mine disengages whether I'm going forward or back.

It does hold on both directions though...

Offline linc-dub

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 19 October 2013, 16:09 »
Is that the case with a manual?
Picked up 02.09.17 Mk7.5 GTD Isaac Blue, Manual 5 Drs, DCC, Reversing Camera, Keyless, 90% tints, Heated front screen, Mudflaps all round

Sep 2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Carbon Grey, Manual, 5 Drs, DCC, Reversing Camera, Sat Nav, Keyless, Sport & Sound, Mudflaps all round

2013 63 plate Mk7 GTD, Manual, 5 doors, Carbon Grey Metalic, ACC, Reversing Camera, Mudflaps front & rear - Took delivery October 2013

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 19 October 2013, 17:39 »
Apologies Guys ,Even though you knew what I meant ,I should have said " AUTO HOLD "  As Brake assist is ,the system
that helps with the speed of braking according to pedal speed on the brakes .
Mine didn't work ,as didn't someone else on here ,so I checked the Bible  :laugh:   .
As in a few functions they only work on the last Ignition on cycle ,provided the driver door is closed ,seat belt on ,
and engine is running . So say you have ditched your seat belt to reverse ,or are moving the car on the drive ,
check the system light is on or It has disabled ,because of one of the aforementioned reasons .
Worth mentioning the Auto Engine Off as well ,there is 14 reasons why that may not work ,check the Bible  :wink:
LEATHER

Offline SF-GTD

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 19 October 2013, 20:56 »
I was going to ask something similar about the automatic handbrake.  It seems to disengage okay when pulling away forwards, but it always seems reluctant to let go in reverse, meaning I end up jerking away when it starts to move.  Am I missing something that I should be doing when reversing away?

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 19 October 2013, 21:16 »
I was going to ask something similar about the automatic handbrake.  It seems to disengage okay when pulling away forwards, but it always seems reluctant to let go in reverse, meaning I end up jerking away when it starts to move.  Am I missing something that I should be doing when reversing away?

The Parking brake should release the same ,F and R provided you have seat belt on etc on a manual
I found a full depress of the clutch pedal was needed ,and a smooth blend of blend of power and
clutch control release ,something not so natural in reverse , With DSG smooth throttle  :wink:
LEATHER

Offline SF-GTD

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 19 October 2013, 21:30 »
Thanks for the advice.  I don't know if it's because I've driven diesels for years, but I've probably got a tendency not to give it too many revs when pulling away, which has never been a problem with a normal handbrake.  I've noticed I need to be a bit more positive when pulling away forwards, so I'll need to try and do the same in reverse.  Technology, eh?  :grin:

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 19 October 2013, 21:41 »
Despite being a Golf man ,reading lots and tips here , still finding new Quirks every time out ,did you know ,If you have
forgotten to switch Auto Stop Off (on a dsg ) the engine will restart if you press the autostop button when it's off .
Finding lots of stuff like that , all good fun though . :smiley:
LEATHER