Author Topic: Rare 1983 MK1 5 door with 23k on the Clock  (Read 8858 times)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Rare 1983 MK1 5 door with 23k on the Clock
« on: 21 December 2010, 23:48 »

Offline shepgti

• I live here
Re: Rare 1983 MK1 5 door with 23k on the Clock
« Reply #1 on: 22 December 2010, 01:31 »
interior is all wrong, guessing this is due to SA import? :undecided:

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #2 on: 22 December 2010, 08:49 »
nah not SA, look at the C pillar if it was a citi it would have a big crease on it. i recon its a euro spec model, ordered by someone in the armed forces based on the continent.  either that or its some kind of gl thats been converted to gti spec. looks like a very oem engine install though, plus it has the mfa.  check out the centre console as well!

check out engine/box codes on the boot sticker or service book, that'll tell you if engine is original
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2010, 11:02 »
When I worked @ TSR we had a 5dr GTI in, that was from SA so it is 100% genuine.

The citi Golf came in 1984, before that they built euro spec from 1978 to late 1983.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #4 on: 22 December 2010, 13:52 »
nah not SA, look at the C pillar if it was a citi it would have a big crease on it. i recon its a euro spec model, ordered by someone in the armed forces based on the continent.  either that or its some kind of gl thats been converted to gti spec. looks like a very oem engine install though, plus it has the mfa.  check out the centre console as well!

check out engine/box codes on the boot sticker or service book, that'll tell you if engine is original

Looks pretty genuine to me.... defo not a citi shell.

quote from sale

This car has the original VW Motor Port, Cape Town, South Africa Bill of Sale, Registration Certificate from Cape Town, South Africa, the South African Export Papers, the UK Import Papers, the UK V5C, all confirming this is a genuine VW Golf GTI Mk 1 Silver 1.8 litre 5 door.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #5 on: 22 December 2010, 20:56 »

Looks pretty genuine to me.... defo not a citi shell.

Yep spot on that came later

Offline shepgti

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 24 December 2010, 13:57 »

never said it was a citi..  :tongue: i ment it looks weird because its from SA which it is.. :wink:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #7 on: 26 December 2010, 17:55 »

never said it was a citi..  :tongue: i ment it looks weird because its from SA which it is.. :wink:

Bearing in mind it's all OEM in SA terms at least, the main reasons it looks weird IMO is because

A) it's a 5 door
b) seats and carpet - wrong
c) center console - wrong
d) front GTI badge - wrong
e) Front VW badge is silver
f) no red grille surround
g) single side decal - wrong
h) wheels - wrong
i) chrome trim bumpers - wrong
j) doesn't appear to have green tint windows
k) somebody has added extra replectors front and rear
l) Interestingly it seems to have a Wolfsburg steering wheel???

I once found a very very rare version of my car... I wish I still had info on it...  :sad:

A bespoke factory built (Wolfsburg), black 5 door GTI with leather interior that was then prepared by Richard Lloyd (like mine), Same engine and body.

Shaun

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #8 on: 28 December 2010, 17:03 »
I have always fancied one of these GTI's for some odd reason.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #9 on: 28 December 2010, 19:37 »
I have always fancied one of these GTI's for some odd reason.
What an SA spec 5 door?

Shaun