Author Topic: Wiring up speakers?  (Read 1498 times)

Offline emery1990

• I live here
Wiring up speakers?
« on: 04 June 2010, 14:58 »
Since i got the car only the two speakers on the dash are connected. Ive got 4 in the from and 2 in the boot that are not connected up, But behind the unit on on the black connector is still loads of wires? Are these all old wires that i could pull out and connect up my other speakers with new wire. whate else other than the speakers, + _ earth go into the head unit? Heres a pic the mess! If it helps
What size cable is needed, is possible to have 8 speakers connected up to the unit?

Offline emery1990

• I live here
Re: Wiring up speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2010, 11:04 »
anyone ?

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
« Reply #2 on: 09 June 2010, 12:41 »
Right.
I'm not 100% exactly what you're asking, but my advice to you is, if it looks sh!t, is untidy or you have connectors every two inches of wire, rip it out and start again - this is especially easy with the speaker wires.

The speakers in your car need to be connected to the harness as follows (back strip indicsates negative pole)

Purple pair = Rear Right
White pair = Rear Left
Grey pair = Front right
Green pair = Front left

In order for your stereo to work you need a permananet live, a switched live and an earth.
If you have an amplifier or electric aerial then you'll need to connect these accessories also.

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline emery1990

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 13 June 2010, 13:15 »
Ok thanks, yer theres a few connectors in there with few wires just cut off. The whole thing doesnt work now lol so i am just going to rip everything out, but i was just unsure of if theres any wires that need to stay connected. Theres no amp, but i am going to get one, am i right in thinking you connected the speakers to the amp then connect amp to the head unit. the fronts and rears are not connected at all. backs have got wires with a plug at the end of it and fronts have no wires at all, only the tweeters are connected.

Offline realrickman

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 15 June 2010, 14:51 »
If you get an amp, and was going to run it off a new headunit, then the best way is to connect it through rca/phono leads. Most new headunits come with these on the backso you just run a pair of them to the amp from the headunit along with a remote switch.

On that current plug youve got, im thought the gray and white cables were front right and left, and purple and green rear right and left, but depends if you still need them after youve put the amp in.

if you want to run it temp,the get a battery ( something like a AA or 9v ) and put that to the cables connected to the green and purple cables from the plug, they'll crackle and you can tell which ones are which then if there not working at the mo or even if they are wired in all all. The power supply ( red and yellow cables) might be salvagable if you can test it, with voltage tester, but up if you if your gunna start again!
Mk4 Anniversary 1.8T

Offline emery1990

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 15 June 2010, 17:15 »
Yer ive started stripping it out, so just going to start again!.  :undecided: