Author Topic: VW Mark 1 Cabriolet Speedo finding difficulty  (Read 1573 times)

Offline nicholasj

• Just got here
VW Mark 1 Cabriolet Speedo finding difficulty
« on: 23 March 2013, 20:19 »
Hi

A couple of years ago I got my mum an all White VW Mk 1 Karmann Cabriolet (K Reg).
The speedo needle was very jumpy and eventually broke off. I want to sell the car soon for her as it hardly gets used and have been trying to find a replacement speedo before I sell it but ive been really struggling.

Theres only 1 on ebay I can find. I'd be interested to know from some of you experts how much I should expect to pay for one, whether I need the whole single plug unit, or any of the mk1 or mk2 speedo clocks can be fitted to the cluster unit and will work.

Any ideas where else I can find one...ASAP. Is there a place that stocks mk1 parts like this?

Thanks very much

Offline nicholasj

• Just got here
Re: VW Mark 1 Cabriolet Speedo finding difficulty
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2013, 20:24 »

by the way, this is the one. Its the speedo needle on the left thats broken. I tried taking it apart and fixing it and messed it all up completely.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2013, 19:43 »
Couldn't tell you a place that stocks them but I can tell you all series 2 mk2 clocks will fit but bare in mind certain functions may be lost depending on what you replace them with.

Also note that MK2 clocks are not too hard to fit, couple of wiring bits to address though.

Offline chalky white

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 02 April 2013, 23:34 »
On later models you need this lay out.
The ones in your pic are not for your year car.
These are off a sportline, but usual ones have the white needles instead.

But you need this layout.

It may be someone has a spare set of broken clocks you could swap the speedo out of.
Either way it's gonna mean the cluster has to come out.