Author Topic: Appreciating classic?  (Read 1889 times)

Offline nige smith

• Not said much yet
Appreciating classic?
« on: 30 January 2013, 20:11 »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1983-VOLKSWAGEN-GOLF-GTI-MK-1-MANUAL-3-DOOR-HATCHBACK-/360568934532?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item53f3955084

Made a bit more interesting to me, as I lived in Felpham, & knew the Empire Garage well. (It's now a Tesco Express)! My brother also owned a black 1981 mk1 around this time. Is this insane money or good value?

Offline raferackstraw

• I live here
Re: Appreciating classic?
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2013, 20:30 »
its way overpriced, but saying that the bodywork and paint thats being done to mine is costing 000s, and when finished doing interior, engine, gearbox and other bits will probably run to around 10000  :undecided:

wayne gardner smokes one rothmans too many
500cc 2stroke bad for ya health

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2013, 22:44 »
I'd also initially go with overpriced but then this isn't the first time I've seen a mk1 at this price.... It would have to be in the same condition it left the showroom in to even be considered, and like raferackstraw says, you could buy a what appears to be nice one that end ups displaying plenty of hidden nightmares that end up costing you 000's over time to get to mint again.

However, this to me personally isn't that desirable.  It's an early 1800 with factory fitted 1600 wheels.  I'd only pay top dollar for an immaculate series 1 swallow tail 1600, or an immaculate roll out Campaign edition 1800.

Offline dragongreengolfgti

• I live here
  • my golf gti mk3
« Reply #3 on: 02 February 2013, 01:10 »
Its irrelevant of how much it's really worth these guys sell Ferrari's and porches all day long so i'm guessing they took it as p/x for probs 7-8k and it will probably sit on there forecourt till its either sold or Mr dick lovett who i have spoke to in person at wilton house super car day takes it home and stores it  :smiley: