Author Topic: Advice on MK1 gti please  (Read 6812 times)

Offline vw_golf_nutter

• Here all the time
Re: Advice on MK1 gti please
« Reply #20 on: 23 August 2012, 12:53 »
no i dont still have it  :cry: the car was given to me by an ex and obviously when we split up the car stayed with him coz it would have been rude to try and take it. i had stripped it and put new doors in it and it was awaiting painting so couldnt of driven it off. shame coz it was a nice car. it had a polo GT engine in it with twin carbs  :grin:

glad you have rescued another mk1 but seems a lot of work to do for the money, for example there is a mars red one near to me for £1500 thats very good condition body wise but has 180k. i personally dont mind replacing panels and painting, i just hate having to get bits welded.
the wet floor will more than likely be the drainage holes that are under the bonnet in the 2 corners. i had a problem with them being blocked before and water used to pour in behind the fuse box  :shocked:

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 23 August 2012, 17:04 »
the wet floor will more than likely be the drainage holes that are under the bonnet in the 2 corners. i had a problem with them being blocked before and water used to pour in behind the fuse box  :shocked:

gosh, is there an echo in here?  :huh:

Offline razla

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 23 August 2012, 21:04 »
no i dont still have it  :cry: the car was given to me by an ex and obviously when we split up the car stayed with him coz it would have been rude to try and take it. i had stripped it and put new doors in it and it was awaiting painting so couldnt of driven it off. shame coz it was a nice car. it had a polo GT engine in it with twin carbs  :grin:

glad you have rescued another mk1 but seems a lot of work to do for the money, for example there is a mars red one near to me for £1500 thats very good condition body wise but has 180k. i personally dont mind replacing panels and painting, i just hate having to get bits welded.

Yeah the drainage holes are well blocked, you got any tips on unblocking them before I start? I may be able to do some of the welding myself as I'm a steel fabricator by trade, never worked on a car before though welding-wise.

If that Mk1 near you is still for sale in a few months time, I may be interested in buying it. High mileage doesn't put me off tbh.

Cheers, Andy. :cool:

Villa in Orlando, Florida, 10 mins from Disney! Pm me.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #23 on: 24 August 2012, 10:24 »

Yeah the drainage holes are well blocked, you got any tips on unblocking them before I start? I may be able to do some of the welding myself as I'm a steel fabricator by trade, never worked on a car before though welding-wise.

If that Mk1 near you is still for sale in a few months time, I may be interested in buying it. High mileage doesn't put me off tbh.

Cheers, Andy. :cool:

Welcome to MK1 ownership...  :cool:  nice to know you're going to sort this one out.  You can't have 2 you greedy get!  :grin:

The drainage hole rubbers pull out so you can clean them out..

If you can fabricate then this project should be a piece of cake for you.
« Last Edit: 25 August 2012, 01:05 by SoundillusioN »

Offline razla

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #24 on: 24 August 2012, 18:19 »
Thanks for the welcome to Mk1 ownership. I've done a few miles now in the car and for all it's niggles, it puts a big smile on my face, I love it! :wink:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #25 on: 24 August 2012, 23:12 »
Thanks for the welcome to Mk1 ownership. I've done a few miles now in the car and for all it's niggles, it puts a big smile on my face, I love it! :wink:

Funnily enough I know exactly what you mean.  :cool:

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 24 August 2012, 23:48 »

Funnily enough I know exactly what you mean.  :cool:

me too!!  :cool:

Offline chalky white

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 29 August 2012, 18:51 »
And if you've still got it, the man above is who you call, knows his stuff.  :cool:

Is he any good at polishing rust out? :grin:

erm no... i've polished a few turds in my time but rust has me beaten!  :laugh:

LOL, you can't polish a Turd Guy, but you can spinkle it with glitter, Sorry that's a favourite of mine.

sounds like you got yourself a project there... did you get a discount off the asking price?

Offline chalky white

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #28 on: 29 August 2012, 18:57 »
Also check the door drainage holes are unblocked and you have the plastic membranes in place too.
look for old or rotted grommets, bungs etc in the engine bay, sometimes folks drill holes for stuff like alarms etc, these break and get removed leaving holes, sounds daft but worth looking for.
Seals around the rear lights is another common issue too.
Welcome to the GTI experience..

Offline razla

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #29 on: 29 August 2012, 19:32 »
Also check the door drainage holes are unblocked and you have the plastic membranes in place too.
look for old or rotted grommets, bungs etc in the engine bay, sometimes folks drill holes for stuff like alarms etc, these break and get removed leaving holes, sounds daft but worth looking for.
Seals around the rear lights is another common issue too.
Welcome to the GTI experience..

Cheers for the heads up mate, I'll check them when I next take a look.

Andy.