Author Topic: Has anyone mistaken or called your MK6 a MK5???  (Read 23812 times)

Offline gtiobsession

• Not said much yet
Has anyone mistaken or called your MK6 a MK5???
« on: 06 October 2009, 19:41 »
The one thing that is beginning to bug me is that some people still dont give the MK6 enough credit about its looks and insist that the MK6 and MK5 look almost similar :angry: I personally think it is quite distinguishable from an MK5 especially when you put them together,no offence to MK5 owners its an amazing car nonetheless but it looks bloated in comparison to the MK6 .I think VW should have marketed the MK6 as an executive hatch because its interior,infact the whole package puts it in another class.If someone had to mistake my MK6 GTI(which is still in the pipeline :wink: )for an MK5 I would be P1$$ED!they can say goodbye to their eyes! :evil: :grin:
« Last Edit: 06 October 2009, 19:52 by gtiobsession »

Offline gc76

• GTI forum regular
Re: Has anyone mistaken or called your MK6 a MK5???
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2009, 19:47 »
Never been mistaken for a mk5.  From the side they maybe look similar, but front and back are totally different.
Tornado Red 5 door GTI, DSG, Monza Shadows, Lux Pack, RCD510, Park Assist & FT indicator

"Sounds just like a Golf"

Offline mac7

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2009, 20:01 »
Think most people who aren't car enthusiasts will just see another Golf, and not really register any difference. From a distance side-on they look almost identical, but personally I don't think you can mistake the two. The Mk6 uses the classical VW restrained/conservative approach as apposed to the attempt by the Mk5 stylists to move the VW design language into new territory with big chrome (black for the GTI obviously) grilles and an unforgivably fat rear end.

Simply put, the Mk6 is how the Mk5 should have been in the first place.
Golf R

Offline gtiobsession

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 06 October 2009, 20:06 »
Think most people who aren't car enthusiasts will just see another Golf, and not really register any difference. From a distance side-on they look almost identical, but personally I don't think you can mistake the two. The Mk6 uses the classical VW restrained/conservative approach as apposed to the attempt by the Mk5 stylists to move the VW design language into new territory with big chrome (black for the GTI obviously) grilles and an unforgivably fat rear end.

Simply put, the Mk6 is how the Mk5 should have been in the first place.

Well put :smiley:

shrocco

« Reply #4 on: 06 October 2009, 20:09 »
The one thing that is beginning to bug me is that some people still dont give the MK6 enough credit about its looks and insist that the MK6 and MK5 look almost similar

but they are very similar cars  :rolleyes:

i'd hardly be upset if someone confused my e28 with an e12 (which is essentially the same as mk5/6 golfs - just a facelift)

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 06 October 2009, 20:24 »
I have had loads of people ask if I had my car resprayed :laugh:

mostly girls though :lipsrsealed:

Offline gtiobsession

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 06 October 2009, 20:25 »
women what can you do :rolleyes:

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #7 on: 06 October 2009, 20:39 »
Personally it wont matter a jot to me if they mistake what mk it is. They are both class cars. But I think that people who know about the GTI wont ask that question, and people that dont know about it wont ask it either, they will just ask 'Is that the new one ?'

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline orca

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 06 October 2009, 21:51 »
I've been driving Golfs for years, Mk2, Mk3 and Mk5, not all GTIs though, and I have to admit that I find it hard to distinguish a normal Mk6 and Mk5 from a distance.  They kind of just seem the same.  I've yet to see a Mk6 GTI on the roads though.

VW have a winning formula with the Golf and they would be stupid to radically change it's appearance.  It wouldn't be a Golf otherwise.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #9 on: 06 October 2009, 22:13 »
I've been driving Golfs for years, Mk2, Mk3 and Mk5, not all GTIs though, and I have to admit that I find it hard to distinguish a normal Mk6 and Mk5 from a distance.  They kind of just seem the same.  I've yet to see a Mk6 GTI on the roads though.

VW have a winning formula with the Golf and they would be stupid to radically change it's appearance.  It wouldn't be a Golf otherwise.

You cant even notice 2 red stripes compared to one at the front, or two sperate exhausts compared to two together from a distance ? Sorry but you should get an eye test, and really shouldnt be driving.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"