Author Topic: Mark 7,5 GTI or Mk 7 GTI PP  (Read 11136 times)

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
Re: Mark 7,5 GTI or Mk 7 GTI PP
« Reply #50 on: 22 November 2017, 20:00 »
All the pointless banter and fact or opinion aside  :grin:

Did any of you gents opt to get the GTI opposed to the R ....?

I considered the R purely based on performance which is mind blowing ...BUT ..

A: It was a bit steep for what I was prepared or able to pay pushing me over my "comfort zone" and the GTI for me is already big performance upgrade vs my 2 year old  Merc 200d AMG diesel tracker  :sick:

B: and this is PERSONNEL opinion I find the R's look although incredibly similar to the GTI and awesome...slightly less "refined" and by that I simply think it feels like they went for the less is more "darker" look on the interior which although looks good feels a bit more geared to a boy racer segment ...performance , noise , handling etc WOW ....but the GTI seems far family friendly on the inside ..? I just think aesthetically they could have done more on the interior to make the interior match whats under the hood ?

Yes I went gti over an r - cost was too much than I was prepared. Add in extra fuel and stupid insurance at 25 years old.

Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #51 on: 22 November 2017, 20:02 »
Yes I own and mk7 but I'm far from crying about not having a 7.5. It just seems a few FL owners think they've got something far more desirable than what it is which is just a FL. It's not a new model and in fact I'm my opinion I think the front end is worse on the FL and so are the alloys. Just my opinion of course and not in any way meant to put the snooty noses out of joint of the 7.5 clan.

This is getting comical. I think this all may be in your head lol not sure where there are any snooty noses lol
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline glorioso2299

• Not said much yet
  • LOVING Father , Sport&History NUT ,PROUD GTI owner
« Reply #52 on: 22 November 2017, 20:03 »
MC don't get like that  :grin:

I know what your saying in regards to how you feel about the 2 models ...just came across super negative on the 7.5 lot ...you have to remember ...its my first GTI ...I first fell in love with them when the MK5 came out but life and circumstances led me into other cars so only now have I been able to get a car for ME  :laugh:.....that happens to fit the family in...do the school run ..BDay party runs ...lug shopping ...ok ok so maybe not just for me  :undecided: :evil:

Personally i find the "upgrades" or "updates" really appealing and for me the original post which kicked all this off is a no brainer ...GET a NEW car ...I mean if you went to replace your 7 now....would you go for a 7PP with 5/10K on the clock or the 7.5PP ....honestly ....?
7.5 GTI  DSG White Silver

Offline glorioso2299

• Not said much yet
« Reply #53 on: 22 November 2017, 20:10 »
happy to hear ...a review on youtube summed up the R when they said ...AMAZING performance etc etc etc ...which we all know .....BUT he said ...are you ever really going to use it in and around london which is my case ...and the $$$$$$ of course :grin:...I must be honest though based on what I wrote previously if the R had in my opinion a more wow factor on the interior I would have tried to make the sacrifice ...purely know I would have ALL the power available to me along with the AWD and stupid performance  :rolleyes:

Offline Erol.zaimovic

• Just got here
« Reply #54 on: 22 November 2017, 20:10 »
As person come from astra vxr,with 280 hp,mechanical diff,and brembo 345 mm brakes, to 7.5 gti non pp, golf do not need diff, our bigger brakes, golf have such sweet chasis, balanced,and lot of grip,and no matter how hard you drive it, very rarly,our never i feel i miss diff,golf pp just do not make sense, if perfomace are in question, then there is just one Golf r, other just can be only golf gti non pp, and 7.5 is just more beatiful then 7

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #55 on: 22 November 2017, 20:17 »
All the pointless banter and fact or opinion aside  :grin:

Did any of you gents opt to get the GTI opposed to the R ....?

I considered the R purely based on performance which is mind blowing ...BUT ..

A: It was a bit steep for what I was prepared or able to pay pushing me over my "comfort zone" and the GTI for me is already big performance upgrade vs my 2 year old  Merc 200d AMG diesel tracker  :sick:

B: and this is PERSONNEL opinion I find the R's look although incredibly similar to the GTI and awesome...slightly less "refined" and by that I simply think it feels like they went for the less is more "darker" look on the interior which although looks good feels a bit more geared to a boy racer segment ...performance , noise , handling etc WOW ....but the GTI seems far family friendly on the inside ..? I just think aesthetically they could have done more on the interior to make the interior match whats under the hood ?

1. Couldn’t afford the extra 3k for the R
2. 300 miles a week would be a bit too costly on the R
3. I prefer the front end of the GTI, however I wouldn’t say this if I had the money for an R

Offline glorioso2299

• Not said much yet
« Reply #56 on: 22 November 2017, 20:23 »
 :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

So far ...all in agreement its the $$$$$$$  :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:....but if i was able to spare the cash on the R as is it would simply be an ego trip knowing I have the top end model (obviously insane performance when required) ...but just feel the interior should equal the performance and should it have been financially viable i think i would have loved the performance but regretted or been jealous of the GTI look ...GTI just looks better (MY OPINION :lipsrsealed: :grin: :lipsrsealed:)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #57 on: 22 November 2017, 21:18 »
Honestly don't know if I'd replace my 7pp with a 7.5pp. I wouldn't be disappointed if I had to but by the time I replace mine in 3 years or so the mk8 will be out. The mk7 is a great car either 7 or 7.5  :smiley:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline CocoPops

• I live here
« Reply #58 on: 22 November 2017, 21:19 »
For me, the 7.5 over the 7pp.

Newer car, newer tech, more warranty (assuming the dates)
2018 GTI Performance Pack DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, Leather, 18" Seville Wheels, DCC Suspension, Tints, RVC
2018 Lotus Elise Sport220
Previous : 1983 Mk1 Golf 1.1 & 2008 Mk5 Golf GTI Ed30

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #59 on: 22 November 2017, 21:30 »
MC don't get like that  :grin:

I know what your saying in regards to how you feel about the 2 models ...just came across super negative on the 7.5 lot ...you have to remember ...its my first GTI ...I first fell in love with them when the MK5 came out but life and circumstances led me into other cars so only now have I been able to get a car for ME  :laugh:.....that happens to fit the family in...do the school run ..BDay party runs ...lug shopping ...ok ok so maybe not just for me  :undecided: :evil:

Personally i find the "upgrades" or "updates" really appealing and for me the original post which kicked all this off is a no brainer ...GET a NEW car ...I mean if you went to replace your 7 now....would you go for a 7PP with 5/10K on the clock or the 7.5PP ....honestly ....?

Birthday party runs? Is that a thing?

What the original post actually asked was whether or not there was any merit in getting a Mk7 GTi PP over a standard 7.5 GTi. I wouldn't say that was a no brainer, hence we have 6 pages of debate. They both have the same amount of power, but one has a trick diff and bigger brakes, whereas the other has a bigger infotainment screen, digital dash and swoopy rear indicators.

It's not about which is better, as an argument can be made for both. But more is it worth paying extra to have the 7.5 tech, given that you will miss out on the diff and the uprated brakes?

It's a minor point, but some also seem to prefer the colour palette of the 7 over the 7.5 and vice-versa. Same with aesthetics of facelift vs pre-facelift.
7.5 GTD