Author Topic: Clutch/Gearbox issue GTD Manual  (Read 17619 times)

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
Clutch/Gearbox issue GTD Manual
« on: 27 April 2010, 20:58 »
 :cry: :cry: :cry:
Gonna have to phone VW tomorrow.  Think I have my first fault sounds like the clutch bearing or gearbox is on its way out. 350 miles too.

Symptons:
Drive for over 20 miles, pull up and place gear stick in neutral release clutch.
You can here a quite loud whirr.
Depress clutch whirr no change.
Place in gear, whirr goes away.
Take out of gear and lift clutch back into neutral whirr reappears.
Whirr noise is most promintent in cabin.

There is no whirr first thing in the morning.
There was no whirr after 12 miles.

Anyone else with a manual GTD notice anything.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I wonder if they have sold my old car yet.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
Re: Clutch/Gearbox issue GTD Manual
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2010, 17:40 »
Booked in Tuesday to be looked at rumour has it there are problems with the Synchro Cones. He goes away and looks that up... could be new gearbox or a full strip down re-build of the gearbox.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #2 on: 28 April 2010, 17:47 »
Booked in Tuesday to be looked at rumour has it there are problems with the Synchro Cones. He goes away and looks that up... could be new gearbox or a full strip down re-build of the gearbox.
[/quote

I would demand a new car!!

Tiguan quicker than the Golf

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 28 April 2010, 17:50 »
Really, they reckon less than 1000 miles, which it will have it will get a whole new gearbox.  I am worried about bolts with heads rounded off, constant leaking from say gearbox, clutch not being the same. e.t.c.  Reckon you can't get a GTD now until next year Feb/Mar time.

Tell tell you the truth I am not impressed.  :angry:

You just can't buy a car now days that hasn't got something wrong with it.  If its not the paint work its the electrics, if its not the electrics it will be the engine.  Might aswell just buy bangers, at least then you just don't care.

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #4 on: 28 April 2010, 17:58 »
Yea i hear you!! But i think they could get you a new car if they tried hard enough? That is seriouse stuff you have there mate (gearbox) Hope you get it sorted, good to have the warrentys too!! Ask them to loan you the new R till its sorted? :wink:

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 28 April 2010, 18:05 »
Somehow I doubt they will loan me the R.  Maybe one of the GTI's might be good.  I like my car its really nice this has just put me off it now.  Will have to see what happens I suppose.  :sad: :cry:

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #6 on: 28 April 2010, 18:11 »
Can I ask why you didn't get the DSG? :cool:

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 28 April 2010, 18:17 »
I don't think it drives very well in the GTD, that was the first car I test drove (GTD DSG).  Then drove the manual and it was much better realised the manual was for me.  Then again had a 6 speed in my Mk5 GT TDI for just under 4 years not a single problem.  Why mess with something that works eh VW?  I have to admit the gearbox is really smooth and it seems a little shorter to shift than the old mk5.

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #8 on: 28 April 2010, 18:21 »
I don't think it drives very well in the GTD, that was the first car I test drove (GTD DSG).  Then drove the manual and it was much better realised the manual was for me.  Then again had a 6 speed in my Mk5 GT TDI for just under 4 years not a single problem.  Why mess with something that works eh VW?  I have to admit the gearbox is really smooth and it seems a little shorter to shift than the old mk5.

I know what you mean with DSG on diesel's but it took me about a week to get used to it just love it now its so verstaile!! :wink:

Offline andykram

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 28 April 2010, 19:30 »
Sorry to hear about your problem fella. Don't assume all new cars are fault ridden though. My GTi's just coming up to 10000 miles after 10 months and, other than a couple of minor creaks, it hasn't missed a beat.
Then again, neither has my 18 year old Mk2 since I've had it!!!!
Surely, a new gearbox at less than a thousand miles is grounds for rejecting the car?