Author Topic: What else did you consider alongside/ instead of the Mk 6 GTI?  (Read 4659 times)

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!

What else did you consider and what thoughts did you have about them?  Not necessarily objective, we're all human and have subjective thoughts!

GTI Mk 5 - great car, very affordable second hand, but interior seems quite plain compared to the Mk6. 

R32 - same comments as the GTI

S3 - great interior, old design though and the front end I don't like.  servicing and maintenance costs would be a worry

BMW 130i - great engine, good quality, but too similar to other BMWs I had before and I can't get on with the exterior looks.  not as practical

Alfa 147 GTA - looks awesome inside and out.  some 3 door only though :(  seems to be pretty small inside.  reliability a worry.  handling not supposed to be that good.

Volvo C30 - a rare sight and in R Design mode looks pretty good.  Same engine as the Focus ST, so pretty potent.  again 3 door only and has had lukewarm reviews for its driving. 

Mazda 3 MPS - loads of power, quick, but uninspiring to look at inside and out.  not a great image.  Quite a bit longer than the Golf - I need something smallish yet practical for the missus to drive.

Mazda RX-8 - the oddball choice, reasonablly practical, 4 door, coupe body.  going 2nd hand could get one for the costs of the options on a new Mk6 alone!  a massive bargain but high running costs and low on torque.  mate of mine has one though and I don't want to copy him!

There are a whole load of other cars I could have considered 2nd hand, M3, Evo X, S4, RS4, 330d, etc etc however size at circa 4200mm and 5 door practicality were very important to me.... don't let that hold you back though... for the price we're paying you can get into a Porsche 911!!

Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
I need a 5 door but I would think someone who was considering a 3 door would have to seriously look at a Scirocco. Looks definately subjective but you're certainly going to get plenty of attention in one of those.

Late model Edition 30 or Pirelli would be something I would seriously look at but as you say, unless it has the very latest spec radio (which you could retrofit) it does look a tiny bit plain now inside, but really not as different to the mk6 as people make out. Downside of these at the moment is that they are holding their values very strongly and are damn near as expensive from dealers as a base spec mk6 GTI. Not so bad in itself as you are getting a lot of GTI for your money, but you know that in a couple of years time the older shape will very likely start dropping away in value whether it's a very late one or not. Unless in the very unlikely scenario the 30s and Pirellis become very sought after cult cars. Hmmm gamble.

Leon Cupra looks good value against the GTI, especially if you do a lot of trackdays or want to modify. Cheapo interior and hard ride will probably put a lot of GTI buyers off though as they're a more tactile bunch, and that's before we go into badge snobbery!

Golf GTD worth a look if you do a lot of miles and pay for your own fuel. More so if your fleet manager stipulates DERVs as company policy.

Focus ST is good value, especially if you want blue or orange! Bit cheapo inside again like the Leon and image a bit so so. Makes a nice noise though. Talking of which......

.....My local dealer has/had a Passat R36 estate in for £23k the other week, superb family car if you can stand the possible depreciation.

This thread could run and run really when you think about what you can get for £22 - £30k which is the bracket we're looking at.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline gizzywizzy

• I live here
  • Black is definitely the stealthiest colour!!
I considered a BMW X3 but after reading reports on the hard ride decided against it.  The only other car I had looked at was a mark 5 edition 30 but when I knew the mark 6 was on its way it was no contest really.
Deep Black Pearl Mk7 GT TDI 150.

Offline koop22

• Not said much yet
scirocco???

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
rocco - only 3 drs so not worth the compromise. torque steer!!

130i - cheap as chips now, good specs still really expensive, great build but higher maintenance costs

rx8 - cheap n cheerful, was looked as as a temp stop gap but overall its still jap crap

s3 - great interior, rest just doesnt float the boat

ed30 - came very close but after driving the mk6 it just felt more composed despite less performance

r32 + turbo - OH how i would have loved to!! :evil:

In the end the gti was just too good an option to turn down. the fact is that driving a new car and cars a couple of years old just seem too larger a gap to bridge.

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
I started looking at the Focus ST.  Needed something that didn't scream "boy racer", had a five-door option, and a boot big enough to take a fold-up wheelchair without folding down the back seat.  Needed it to be a very smooth ride for my elderly mother as well as a fun car for me.  I intended to look at a wider range of hot hatches, test drive a few, then make up my mind.

But then I saw the Golf GTi, was completely dazzled, and just went baying after it without regard to anything else.

Rolfe.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
I started looking at the Focus ST.  Needed something that didn't scream "boy racer", had a five-door option, and a boot big enough to take a fold-up wheelchair without folding down the back seat.  Needed it to be a very smooth ride for my elderly mother as well as a fun car for me.  I intended to look at a wider range of hot hatches, test drive a few, then make up my mind.

But then I saw the Golf GTi, was completely dazzled, and just went baying after it without regard to anything else.

Rolfe.

Then why did you look at the ST ?  :grin:

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
I said ST, not RS!!!  :grin:

Rolfe.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights

Rolfe.

Do you honestly think the ST is not boy racer-ish ?

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline Rolfe

• I live here

Rolfe.

Do you honestly think the ST is not boy racer-ish ?

Well, I didn't think it was, but then I've never seen one in the flesh - they didn't have one in the showroom at the dealer I went to.

I thought it looked more or less like a tame Focus.  Which would have been OK.  The Agent Orange paint job and the go-faster stripes are optional, you know!

Rolfe.