Author Topic: What Car Hot Hatch test  (Read 12670 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: What Car Hot Hatch test
« Reply #10 on: 15 July 2009, 18:00 »
VW must have offered more!

On a tangent from that though, as long as the GTI is winning press plaudits it can't but help increase the desireability of the car which in turn will help re-sale prices no end. Same happened with the mk5.
Maybe not so good for people like me who would rather buy an ex-demo than a new car (for purely financial reasons!) as the order books will be full and the things will be flying off the shelves.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline gizzywizzy

• I live here
  • Black is definitely the stealthiest colour!!
« Reply #11 on: 15 July 2009, 18:27 »
Quote "We'll be honest here the vote almost went to the Focus RS.  How can you resisit a car that puts down 300bhp so effortlessly, that provides supercar performance for £25,000 or thereabouts and that retains a regular focus's practicality?  Then again, how can you resist a car that does eveything you want of a hot hatch one minute yet has the dignity and the gravitas to pass as a busines car the next, and that's built as though its creators' lives depended on it?  The thing about the Golf GTI is that you can use it anywhere for anything.  We're not sure that's the case with the Focus RS"
Deep Black Pearl Mk7 GT TDI 150.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 15 July 2009, 18:47 »
Quote "We'll be honest here the vote almost went to the Focus RS.  How can you resisit a car that puts down 300bhp so effortlessly, that provides supercar performance for £25,000 or thereabouts and that retains a regular focus's practicality?  Then again, how can you resist a car that does eveything you want of a hot hatch one minute yet has the dignity and the gravitas to pass as a busines car the next, and that's built as though its creators' lives depended on it?  The thing about the Golf GTI is that you can use it anywhere for anything.  We're not sure that's the case with the Focus RS"

Just about sums it up. Not to mention that for about an additional £1k you too can probably put 300bhp though your front wheels.. without looking like a t1t the rest of the time :lipsrsealed: :grin:

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 15 July 2009, 19:26 »
It was a slightly strange summing-up for the Golf, as at least 50% of the text was about the Focus!  Still, I agree with them.  The RS is a monster, a cop magnet, and altogether way too much.  Horses for courses, but I wouldn't have wanted anything quite that blatant.

It's a shame they didn't factor in the Focus ST, which is more comparable to the Golf.  It's relatively restrained to look at while being in the same general power bracket and so on.  Still, they couldn't test everything.

What else did they miss out?  What else would you have liked to see in that lineup?

Rolfe.

Offline gc76

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 15 July 2009, 20:04 »
There was quite a few cars that were missing, S3, Seat Leon etc.... instead they had a Renault twingo.
Tornado Red 5 door GTI, DSG, Monza Shadows, Lux Pack, RCD510, Park Assist & FT indicator

"Sounds just like a Golf"

Offline howlingmoon

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 15 July 2009, 20:55 »
There was quite a few cars that were missing, S3, Seat Leon etc.... instead they had a Renault twingo.

A Renault Twingo in the same class as the GTI? hmmmm its like comparing Bette Midler and Beyonce...

WTF?

HM
GTI Mk6 United Grey, 18" Monza Shadows, RNS310, Executive Package, ACC

Offline dubcruiser

• I live here
  • Audi A3 SB S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007
« Reply #16 on: 15 July 2009, 21:51 »

The S3 and Seat were there... They just had their VW Golf dress on that day!!  :grin:
I know what your saying though but I guess there are only so many cars they could have in the test. I read it and thought it summed up the Golf about right. I think I would enjoy the Focus for a weekend but then it would start to grate on me after a while.
Scott

Golf GTi 180bhp 6 Speed 2003, Tornado Red, Electric Sunroof, Climatronic, Winter Pack, Black Leather, Santa Monica Alloys, Centre Arm Rest, 6 Disc Changer, R-Tech Remap (Now Sold)
Audi A3 Sportback S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007, Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, iPod Prep, Interior Light Pack

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #17 on: 15 July 2009, 22:04 »

Grabbed it on the way home, read on the train and was disappointed it was such a short review.  I still prefer the longer write ups from Car, Evo, Performance Car etc.

Notice how many white cars there were?  White is the "in" colour right now!

Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #18 on: 15 July 2009, 22:41 »

Maybe they were considered but didnt make the top 10.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
« Reply #19 on: 16 July 2009, 09:10 »
Good to hear the Golf won.

I just love What Car, it's so British, so 'nice', as if it were published by Marks & Spencers :) Still going to get a copy when I come back to England on Sunday :)