Author Topic: Midland Tyre Shaving is almost here!  (Read 7684 times)

Offline pitchy

• Here all the time
Re: Midland Tyre Shaving is almost here!
« Reply #20 on: 03 April 2011, 21:37 »
Compared to this kind of finish im pretty impressed! -
http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/P1030524.jpg
2002 gti aum mods-cai / n75j / 007p / stg1 remap / rs4 reps .
things done in the last few months - new temp sensor / new gearbox oil / anni matts / painted interior trim / debadged /
things to do - refurb wheels-satin black / coilovers / paint headlights internals black / fit fmic / 3" turbo back / stg2 remap

Offline pitchy

• Here all the time
« Reply #21 on: 05 April 2011, 21:16 »
NEW PICTURES ADDED!
Pirelli P Zero 18/265/35 on a 10" Rota rim for time attack-
http://www.midlandtyreshaving.co.uk/Products.html

I have just ordered some new tooling to produce an even better finish, as a precision engineer I am constantly wanting to optimise quality! The finish now is good but I believe I can achieve better and make sure the tyre has a surface finish as good as it was before it was cut.
things done in the last few months - new temp sensor / new gearbox oil / anni matts / painted interior trim / debadged /
things to do - refurb wheels-satin black / coilovers / paint headlights internals black / fit fmic / 3" turbo back / stg2 remap

Offline ashw831

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 06 April 2011, 20:39 »
Well i have got 888's on my track car atm. they are part worn, so in your proffessional opinions shaving would improve the life time and performance of them?? :undecided:

Offline pitchy

• Here all the time
« Reply #23 on: 10 April 2011, 11:10 »
News update on Midland Tyre Shaving :-)
http://www.midlandtyreshaving.co.uk/News.html

billabong

« Reply #24 on: 11 April 2011, 09:48 »
Sounds like an interesting idea! Just a quick heads up, there is a typo on the home page:

A new tyre that is worn down to 3mm tread depth will not preform as well as a tire shaved down to 3mm tread depth.

I'm assuming that you mean perform rather than preform? :smiley:

Also, tyre is spelt tire on this line, instead of the english spelling - tyre.

Offline pitchy

• Here all the time
« Reply #25 on: 03 May 2011, 17:12 »
I was at Donnington doing testing on the tyres last week with the help of Malcolm Edeson (Grade A ARDS with around 20 years of race driver instructing ) He rigged up one of the mx5 championship cars with all the data logging equipment and went out to prove what the benifits of shaving are. He his writing up a detailed report on his findings and I will put it up as soon as its done, the main thing he concluded with is that its worth about 1.5 seconds a lap!

Offline pitchy

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 23 May 2011, 19:28 »
Full report by Malcolm Eddeson - http://www.driver-coaching.com/tyre-shaving.html