General > General discussion

advice on buying a golf

(1/5) > >>

tax_dodger:
Hello

Simple question....
If you had ?2500-?3000 what Golf would you buy?

Although.....

1. I'm 19, so insurance is going to be a b!tch. Could insure my mum as the main driver and me as second if that helps. Not sure if I could risk it on 3rd party tho

2. Would you a) go for the mk2 and use the extra money upgrading or b) go for the mk3 which i prefer the look of. If a) what would upgrading?

3. How reliable are golfs? Ive heard they are relatively reliable

Ive been lucky enough to blag myself on my dads insurance for his 2003 Golf S. Its a gorgeous car to drive, 1.6 16v, cruise control, air conditioning, etc. But being the most expensive car my dads ever got, i darent do anything risky in it. So never really been able to 'test' the performance of it. Just wondering how fast it really is. My mates got a crappy old Nova SR 1.4 and even tho its a shed and a smaller engine he reckons it wouldnt be too far of the golf on a 0-60 test due to the lighter weight. Any thoughts?

cheers
chris

tinman:
Hi,

First of all, you may get away with your insurance idea. However, I think they have wised up to your idea. Easy trick, easy remedy; they stuff you.

Secondly, a Mk2 is a great car, although you really might want to look for a power steering car. I would suggest looking for a late model Driver. They look good and they are quick - believe me - i chased one in my 16v. ?It didn't give me too much of a problem but my 16 leg hamster unit had to think about despatching the predator.

I would say at this stage that i would not mod a Golf. In theory you need to disclose all modifications to your insurance company - so they can stuff you.

Any deviation from this course saves you money, until you crash it and the insurance company says "since when did a Golf Driver have 2 turbos?"

Then they stuff you and you are screwed for life.

My advice, find an insurance company who will give you third party cover on driving other cars and then insure a Metro. This will be difficult as you are 19. If you are lucky you may find 1.

Then buy a late MK2 16v and never lose a racing lights again.

Finally, check for all the usual signs of wear regardless of Golf. Have a laugh and ask the prospective seller how fast hes gone in it. Anything over 115 and run. Goad them into telling you tales of their exploits....

Golfs are reliable as long as they haven't been thrashed. Your job is to find the unthrashed Golf.

Regards,

Justin

BTW Mk3s handle like a cross channel ferry. But keep it to youself.

87_PROJECT:
For ?2000...(thats leaving some of your budget for insurance!) you could get either......

a nasty example of the slowest,worst handling,ugliest(in my opinion) golf gti ever built....

...Or you could get a mint condition wolf in sheeps clothing...mk2 8valve (cheaper insurance than 16!) which will leave most mk3's standing at the lights...(as I keep proving time and time again  ;D...dont be rushed into buying the first one you come accross(which is tempting cause they are SOOOO nice to drive...but hunt around...for ?2000 you should be able to find a beautiful example....compared to my ?350 D reg(which still eats mk3's(and novas,fords etc etc for breakfast...(although absolutely revolting,and french,those saxo vtr's are pretty nippy!)

If you insure yourself with Brentacre (the cheapest insurance company for young gti drivers!( I know this cause Im 21 and have been hunting for "affordable" insurance since november last year!)...any modifications(including ICE up to ?1500,not that i got any ;)...are covered at no extra cost...(I even checked the small print!)

So there you have it...although obviously only my opinion...given your age and budget your better off with a mint mk2 8 valve gti( and yes they are VERY reliable...and soo simple to sort if anything should crop up!

mo3000:

--- Quote ---For ?2000...(thats leaving some of your budget for insurance!) you could get either......

a nasty example of the slowest,worst handling,ugliest(in my opinion) golf gti ever built....

...Or you could get a mint condition wolf in sheeps clothing...mk2 8valve (cheaper insurance than 16!) which will leave most mk3's standing at the lights...(as I keep proving time and time again ?;D...dont be rushed into buying the first one you come accross(which is tempting cause they are SOOOO nice to drive...but hunt around...for ?2000 you should be able to find a beautiful example....compared to my ?350 D reg(which still eats mk3's(and novas,fords etc etc for breakfast...(although absolutely revolting,and french,those saxo vtr's are pretty nippy!)

If you insure yourself with Brentacre (the cheapest insurance company for young gti drivers!( I know this cause Im 21 and have been hunting for "affordable" insurance since november last year!)...any modifications(including ICE up to ?1500,not that i got any ;)...are covered at no extra cost...(I even checked the small print!)

So there you have it...although obviously only my opinion...given your age and budget your better off with a mint mk2 8 valve gti( and yes they are VERY reliable...and soo simple to sort if anything should crop up!
--- End quote ---

Damn right.

It depends what your after, the Mk2 is the best drive and cheaper to run as regards parts and insurance.

Although the Mk3 is a dog, it is a more civilized car for motorway use and far better in regards to spec, (just look at most Mk2 GTI 8V's. (I mean 'keep fit' windows, nice seats and a rev counter? if you were half asleep you'd think you had steped into a 1.3, not the'Uber hatch' of the '80s.).

Just don't try to prove anything in Mk3 unless you have done serious amounts of tuning. You will only be upset when a 1.4 Focus pulls cleanly away from you as you wrestle the damn thing, withs its frankly S**t dampning round your favourite left hander.

I've been left for dead in my misses 16V Mk3 on corners by far sh!ttr machines than i care to mention (Toyota Avensis, 1.8 GX anyone?) due to the thing bobbing around like a pissed horse, and than was with bilstein suspension.......... Oh the embarassment!

Yeah f**k it,

Get a Mk2.
;)

sijunior:
Yep I agree, MK2's are the dogs danglies. BUT.........

If your gunna get one you've got to bare in mind that the MK2's are getting on a bit now and you could find one that looks mint , but it could be a right old shed underneath, you've got to think how much the cars gunna cost you once youve bought it,
I've done it my self, gone out and bought a beaut and two months down the line everything went tits up,
New gearbox, New fuse box, New break pipes, new head gasket, new exhaust, New ECU, Ect.........
I'ts all down to the age and millage.
Make sure you take a good mechanic with you when you go to look at one, unless your a mechanic in which case your laughing,

Or you could go for a MK3, And lets face it they are much better looking than the MK2, Find a 2.0ltr 8v GTI
and the insurance is'nt actually that bad, As long as you have a descent Alarm & Imobiliser.
Tinman is right, They handle like sh!t but any golf lover that you bye one of has probably upgraded the suspesion, I've got KONI on mine and it sticks like sh!t to a blanket and when taking a round about it dosen't even lean ;)
and think of all the extra's you get with a MK3,
You could pick a nice M or N Reg one up for ?3000-?3500 and not have to spend a penny on it for 2-3 years apart from servicing .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version