Author Topic: Tappets question  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Steve_B

• I live here
Tappets question
« on: 05 October 2008, 17:17 »
At the moment the engine on my 8v rattles like a childs toy  :sad: . Has been like it ever since I got it back on the road about 2months ago, done a thousand miles since then.
Got the exhaust and heat shields checked and they're fine, from talking to the bloke there and from looking on the forum it sounds like the tappets are playing up. Sound does seem like it's coming from the head. Changed the oil already but that made no difference to the sound.

From what I've read the next stage is to try an engine flush, and if that doesn't work to replace the tappets, am I right?

Also, how much would something like this cost to get done? Not sure if I want to try it as never done anything like that to the engine before.

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
Re: Tappets question
« Reply #1 on: 05 October 2008, 17:20 »
tappets are easy to change yourself,   it's as per changing cam belt but you have to undo a few 10mm nuts to take the rocker cover off and 10 13mm nuts to get the cam out then the tappets just lift out,    when puttign back together the nuts on the cam caps do need torqueing tho
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline Steve_B

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 05 October 2008, 18:15 »
Anyone know of a good guide for this, can't find one anywhere. Also, what tools will I need, never done anything with the timing before.

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 05 October 2008, 20:52 »
have a shed load of photos up on photobucket,  that i took when doing a tappet change to write a guide,  not done it yet tho  may happen  shortly tho

Offline sidecarphil

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 05 October 2008, 21:03 »
does a kent cam make much diferance to a digi gti ???

my tappet's are rattling a bit too was thinking of adding a cam :)

do i need to do any thing else ???

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 05 October 2008, 23:15 »
think this will everythign needing to know,   can in piccys is a 1992 1.6 8valve with carb  but is rellivant to all 8 valves

1)   remove upper cambelt gaurd

2) loosten the camshaft pully retaing bolt (it's tight)

3)  turn engine round to number 1 TDC ( fireing )  thins is when the do on the outside edge of the cambelt pully is  inline with the frount edge of the rocker cover also rotor arm in dizzywil be point to number 1 ht lead

4) remove model dependant stuff above the rocker cover ( air box in this case )

5) losen and remove alternator and pas belts

6) remove lower pullys 4 x m7 or m8 allen head bolts

7) remove lower cambelt cover

8) loosten cam belt tensioner and slide belt off camshaft pully

9) tie belt up with sting or bungie strap  (optinal   keeps intermeadiate shaft intime with cranckshaft )

10) remove rocker cover 8 x 10mm nuts

11) lift off splash gard

12)  loosten the 8 x 13mm nut  holding the cam caps,   at this point you'll notice number 4 cap is missing it's meant to be !!!

13) undo nuts a few tuns at a time so not to put undue stress in any one cap.

14)  lift out the camshaft   

15)  lift out the tappets and disgard ( throw at anoying people )

16)  drop replacements in place

17) remove pully from camshaft

18) remove oil seal from camshaft

19) fit new oil seal

20) present the camshaft back to the engine in roughtly the correct position add a littel oil to the
bearing journals

22) refit the cam caps and tighten each one down a few turns at a time in seuquence  as would a cylinder head

23)  torqe down to 20 NM in sequnece

24) turn cam round to number 1 TDC (fireing)  dot on pully should be in same place as before and both lobes on cam pointign skyward.

26) fit new rocker gasket kit

25) refit splash gard

20) refit camshaft pully with lightly oiled bolt

27) refit rocker cover  torqe to 10 NM  no more

28)  slide old cambet over pully,

30) torqe camshaft pully retaing bolt to 80 NM    ( useing old belt to hold pully  don't do if reuseing belt)

29.5)  ether remove and refit belt or slice the old belt in half,  disgard the outer half, slide the new belt half on before cuttign and removeing the remaning half of the old belt.

29) retesion belt 90 degree twist on run between cam pully and intermediate shaft,

31) refit lower accsesory pully temporarly ( 2 bolts will suffice )    start enigne, if dosent go recheck timeing on cambelt

32) remove lower pully and refit lower cambelt cover

33)  refit lower pully torqe to 20 NM

34) refit upper cambelt cover

35) refit air box and any other crap you removed to get to things

36) go to pub have beer
« Last Edit: 05 October 2008, 23:36 by danny_p »

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 05 October 2008, 23:37 »
think that should cover it   hopefulyl havent missed anything out

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #7 on: 05 October 2008, 23:42 »
nice guide there dan. might be worth doing on mine as the tappets are noisy when cold.

Offline Steve_B

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 06 October 2008, 13:18 »
Cheers for the write up dan. You make it SOUND easy, will be an interesting job I think. So I will need:

8 tappets
Camshaft oil seal
Rocker cover gasket (only fitted it 2 months ago, oh well)
Cam belt

Anything else I should do as well? Read it might be a good idea to do valve stem seals at same time, whatever they are. Also, is it ok to drive the car when tappets are like this? Getting parts will be a pain otherwise.