Author Topic: "H4 Xenon Ice Blue Headlamp Bulbs"  (Read 3802 times)

Offline mk2mark

• I live here
Re: "H4 Xenon Ice Blue Headlamp Bulbs"
« Reply #30 on: 31 January 2008, 23:35 »
Ok a lot of sh1te going round at the minute about HID's. They're not illegal per se - but they may fail the MOT, that and people you dazzle will hate you. Because they don't use filaments they don't produce the same distribution of light and as it hits your lens' it'll get focused the wrong way - exactly like wearing someone elses glasses. They can also suffer from colour differentiation issues etc.

Also bear in mind that 6500K is colour temperature and says nothing about how bright they'll be.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #31 on: 01 February 2008, 11:57 »
There's nothing going on around HIDs. 

Aftermarket kits are illegal - end of story.  Here is the factsheet from the Department for Transport.

It states quite clearly that:

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

and the rules you need to comply with are as follows:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

The key bit really is this:

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

So unless you're installing headlamp washers and self-levellers as well as replacing the headlamp unit COMPLETE with one designed and E-marked for your application then they are illegal and by buying, installing and using them you are breaking the law.  - No need for the last bit. ta.
« Last Edit: 01 February 2008, 12:39 by Slick#13 »
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Organisys

• I live here
  • Old and Slow...
« Reply #32 on: 01 February 2008, 12:13 »
Philips extreme and a Relay Loom FTW! Makes so much difference. The lights on my daily are better than the Mrs' Audi A3, no joke.

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline mk2mark

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 01 February 2008, 15:06 »
Oh right! Well there you go, they are illegal. Usually Irish laws (where I am) for stuff like this emulates what you have over there, so I assumed it was the same.

Offline Dec

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 02 February 2008, 16:16 »
These lights came yesterday, fitted them this morning (was out all yesterday) and they look great IF... i unplug my sidelights :sad:

Decided im going to get some 'xenon white' led sidelights now as well! the H4's look great as theyre white with a slight blue aswell (not overpoweringly blue :smiley:

Shame they're gonna look yellow till later or Monday!

Recommend them to anyone personally!

Offline dabill

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 02 February 2008, 20:45 »
nah keep the yellow bulb!, then band a bult into your indicatiors, double side lights! looks smart imo, well, its getting done on mine when i get the new healight looms from ebay...

front of my car is gonna look like blackpool tower!

noble tuned - and still not fast enough!

Offline Dec

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 03 February 2008, 12:58 »
 :angry: went to GK's today (didnt know they opened on sundays until 11 this morning lol) and aparently you cant get LED ones of what i need :angry:

Any idea what the bulb is called so i can ebay one?

Offline cняis

• I live here
  • Know there's something burning over there...
« Reply #37 on: 03 February 2008, 16:28 »
:angry: went to GK's today (didnt know they opened on sundays until 11 this morning lol) and aparently you cant get LED ones of what i need :angry:

Any idea what the bulb is called so i can ebay one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LED-Sidelight-Bulbs-ALL-VW-GOLF-GTI-MK1-MK2-MK3_W0QQitemZ120215527217QQihZ002QQcategoryZ72233QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
 :smiley:

I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline Dec

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 05 February 2008, 17:35 »
Cheers for the link mate but theyre 501's but i found out mine are 233's :undecided: found some on ebay that ill get but wana get some other bits before now :smiley: