Author Topic: '90 16v Golf sits slightly p*ssed?  (Read 700 times)

Offline gixerthrasher

• Not said much yet
'90 16v Golf sits slightly p*ssed?
« on: 18 April 2007, 09:17 »
 :huh:I've noticed my Golf has more inner tyre wear on the offside front & rear, the car has always had a slight drop to the right, I made it a bit better fitting new rear shocks last year, but it's still slightly on the "HuH"! Visual check made on level ground..
It's got me thinking about rear axle bushes & front wishbones etc., the originals look tired, cracked & rusty (like me) although there was no feel of play or movement in them & driving it seemed stable.
It has been lowered 30mm.
Any ideas?
Never hold your farts in.. They travel up your spine and into your brain and that\'s where sh!tty ideas come from!

Offline VWDino

• GTI forum regular
  • MkII 1.6 Driver. GTi cam, K&N .....
Re: '90 16v Golf sits slightly p*ssed?
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2007, 10:57 »
Uneven tyre wear could be caused by the tracking being out. It doesnt cost much and is worth it. If your tracking is out not only are you going through tyres faster, your MPG will suffer as well. Rear adjustment is not possible on Mk2s. If your front shocks look ok (look for leaks and try boucing the front corners, should bounce once and not oscilate), then I'd get 4 wheel laser alignment done. Should cost about 35 - 50 quid. I had mine done a few weeks ago after replacing the front shocks and theres a big difference. Handles better and the steering is lighter. Fuel efficiency has improved also and my tyres arent getting worn unevenly as they were before.

Offline Mr Blue

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2007, 11:15 »
Change both side shocks to even things out if you do

Deffo get the tracking done. Your rear tyre could have been on the front at one point hence the un-even tyre ware
:)

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2007, 13:42 »
mine sits lower on the passenger side, I'm assuming its the gearbox weighing it down, I've completly overhauled the suspention with brand new bits + poly bushes up front so it aint that!

Perhaps its years of having more weight in the driver side thats made your front right strut a bit droopier than the others.  Ideal excuse for a lowering kit, new bushes, topmounts & gas shocks all round ;)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline gixerthrasher

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 18 April 2007, 18:51 »
Aha :smiley: I'm going to have the camber adjusted too as when trying to remove the front hub, I undone the 2 lower suspension strut bolts that effect this.. DOH!
In your opinion, guys, is it worth getting the rear axle bushes changed for Poly ones at the same time as it's having new stubs, calipers & Goodridge fitted to the rear by my garage?
Don't want to have to undo everything again at a later date which seems to be the case..
Other thing that's bothering me is I need 2 new tyres fitted on the offside, the nearside are very good with plenty of tread.. Will this be ok or as I think dodgy??
Never hold your farts in.. They travel up your spine and into your brain and that\'s where sh!tty ideas come from!

Offline VWDino

• GTI forum regular
  • MkII 1.6 Driver. GTi cam, K&N .....
« Reply #5 on: 18 April 2007, 19:01 »
I'd say it was dodgy. Always replace tyres in opposite pairs. Maybe the garage can put the 2 good tyres on the back?