Author Topic: '90 Mk2 16v Good Vibrations...?  (Read 674 times)

Offline gixerthrasher

• Not said much yet
'90 Mk2 16v Good Vibrations...?
« on: 04 December 2006, 08:32 »
I've noticed recently when driving around that when lightly accelerating from 40mph to 45 that there's audible vibration that makes the car feel as if it's driving on a "ribbed" road? When I back off the throttle a little and coast, the vibration disappears??
Could anyone give advice to what it could be please before I get me spanners out :undecided:
Never hold your farts in.. They travel up your spine and into your brain and that\'s where sh!tty ideas come from!

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
Re: '90 Mk2 16v Good Vibrations...?
« Reply #1 on: 04 December 2006, 09:40 »
where is the vibration coming from? front rear which side?

does it happen in all gears at certain rpm. or is it just 40-45mph in any gear??

Offline gixerthrasher

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2006, 16:01 »
Feels like it's coming from the front as you feel it through the pedals and through the floor..?
It's just had VAG replacement engine mount bushes and the only thing wrong is the exhaust is slightly blowing in 3 places! I Have a Magnex system & manifold being fitted Thursday..
It also feels quite harsh on powering up, although pulling like a train, it's not that smooth like other Golfs I've had..
Will be a good time for me to check it out while up on ramps in the garage.. Wondering if knackered gearboxes cause vibration like that as it's more noticeable in 4th & 5th @ 40-50mph.. It's not a sloppy gearbox, quite firm and has the usual grinding into second when cold & reverse when warm glitch!
Also wondered if shot CV joints cause vibes? Something else I can check while in the air..
All I want to do is make my Golf smooth, reliable and fun to drive.. I've spent a lot of money on it now and it's just these little "extras" I'm now finding wrong on the car that require more work & money :cry:
Never hold your farts in.. They travel up your spine and into your brain and that\'s where sh!tty ideas come from!

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 04 December 2006, 16:37 »
check the exhaust alignment first

then, if they changed the gearbox mount also then check the gearbox bracket bolts - they can be put in back to front. they rub against the chassis

there is 2 long bolts. the bolts are meant to run from right to left.

most garages put them in back to front - and it causes the end of the bolt to rub on chassis leg at certain rpm's