Author Topic: "Auto choke sticking slightly" - help needed please.  (Read 1507 times)

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
Hey,

As some may know i'm after a 1.8 Driver found a clean one that is no too far away. Yet to see it though (job for this afternoon)

Itt says this on the advert "Auto choke sticking slightly"

It's done 125,000 miles. And has been used daily.

Whatcould the problem be, i don't want to buy it and then find it's going to cost loads to repair it.

Thanking You
Tim

« Last Edit: 06 March 2006, 18:38 by T_J_G »

Offline Haribo!

• I live here
Re: "Auto choke sticking slightly"
« Reply #1 on: 06 March 2006, 14:05 »
it wont be much i doubt, theres nearly allways SOMEthing wrong with a carb, ide be thankfull its just the choke, i bet it wont be a massive problem to work out what it is then fix it, if the rest of the car is good and its a fair price then go for it mate :)

Offline Haribo!

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 06 March 2006, 14:20 »
how much is it by the way? cause if your worried about the price for the possible carb problem if worse comes to worse you can get a refurbed carb that will be perfect and you wont have to worry abut carb problems for years
 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Refurbished-2E2-Pierburg-Carburettors-for-VW-Golf-MK2_W0QQitemZ4617281023QQcategoryZ9889QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2006, 14:28 »
The car is five hundred pound.

3dr Red 1.8 just what i wanted really. J reg new clutch 15 months ago, 4 good tyres and a recent service.

6 miles away too.
« Last Edit: 06 March 2006, 14:30 by T_J_G »

Offline Haribo!

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2006, 14:35 »
mate go for it, that sounds great if its what yor looking for, if the carb is crap then itll only be another 120 quid and youll be sorted, good luck going to see it, lets hope its all good in the other areas, and get some pics up if ya buy it  :wink:

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 06 March 2006, 18:36 »
Right,

what a clean car!

However, when started it would rev at about 3,000 RPM and after 3-4 minutes,then would go down to 1,000ish RPM.

Apparently,this also happens when it's moving, normally after long runs.

My Dad said with my inexperience it isn't wise buying it unless we can sort it out between us.

My mate is an apprentice in a VW garage, so I may pop down to see him and his boss tomorow, to ask if he has any ideas.

:lipsrsealed: :undecided:

Tim

Offline Haribo!

• I live here
Re: "Auto choke sticking slightly" - help needed please.
« Reply #6 on: 06 March 2006, 19:18 »
mate mine used to that, it can be a whole host of things, that coolant channel o`ring sometimes, but with mine it was a simple wire that had come off so it was confuseing the carb,its probably NOT the choke tho, if its as nice as you say then ide buy it  :smiley: if you cant get to the bottom of it then buy a new carb and youll be sorted with a mint golf! if the cars only 500 then add the price of the carb and thats 620 quidders, that aint bad for a nice car

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 06 March 2006, 20:12 »
Any more ideas people.

I may be able to knock him down on the price therefore leaving more money to sort it out.

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 07 March 2006, 09:38 »
Right i don't know if this helps.

The water pipes get hot.

Could it be the waxstat?

Tim

I've been told to replace the waxstat valve,or replace the carb with a manual choked one (both of these were on 'net forums).

The manual choke seems a lot of hassle.

:undecided:

Tim

Offline Haribo!

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 07 March 2006, 09:42 »
not really, just the 3 screws to take off that choke i think, then i think some big pliers or something to get the spring back on, waxstat is easy but i doubt its that, this sounds so much like what mine was doing