Author Topic: '91 'Golf_GTI' Rear Badge Query  (Read 4731 times)

Offline HARVS1789UK

• Not said much yet
'91 'Golf_GTI' Rear Badge Query
« on: 20 October 2013, 07:12 »
I have been searching the classified and breaking threads as well as ebay etc for ages and just can't find what I am looking for so I am looking for some help in identifying which models will defiantly have the part I need on them.

I need to replace the 'Golf GTI' badge on the rear (below and to the right of the boot lid) of my 3 door, 1991, MkII Golf GTI 16v. The one that sits next to the little red '16v' badge. It is very similar to the Mk3 version however, this is an adhesive badge where as mine had 3 little clips on the rear to pop in to the three holes with plastic plugs in the bodywork.

This is what the badge looks like -

However this is the stick on Mk3 version I mention.

I thought I had found one from someone breaking a 16v MkII recently, but it turns out not to be the same badge, the 'Golf' part is not italic as per the above.

Can anyone help me out with what production years used the badge I want, and or a part number? Even better does anyone have one in good condition up for sale!

I am getting close to just buying a Mk3 adhesive version and sticking it over the holes in the bodywork of my MkII! But i really don't want to do that :-(

Thanks in advance,

HARVS
HARVS

Offline JMallows

• I live here
Re: '91 'Golf_GTI' Rear Badge Query
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2013, 10:10 »
it changed in 1988 from a small round VW and the word volkswagen on the left, and then golf etc on the right (all normal font) to the larger round vw in the middle and the italic golf etc on the right. Early stuff is much better looking IMO but obviously not correct for your year! Since the original rear panel was also stopped, it used to be a way of telling if the early cars had been in a shunt, as the badges etc would be the updated type...

and

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 20 October 2013, 11:05 »
nah mid 87 was the changeover. as I have 1 of the first digifants after they changed the rear badges, front windows, side mouldings etc.

Offline JMallows

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 20 October 2013, 15:20 »
yeah, changed towards the end of 87, so in time for the 88 model year, like the 90 spec was changed in 1989. Basically, part way through the E-registered cars. They also changed the wipers, and the 'on' illumination on the switches (ie heated screen etc) from a round light to an oblong shape. Along with lots of other things no doubt!

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 20 October 2013, 18:50 »
and steering wheel/seats/front grill and probably a few more discreet details. oh and I think the front splitter was deeper after 87.

Offline Mr Blue

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 21 October 2013, 08:49 »
Harvs check out classic-parts.de. They supply all the rip off merchants on ebay. Also ask vw heritage which might have one in the uk.
:)

Offline HARVS1789UK

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 21 October 2013, 09:34 »
Thanks all, now I know!

@Mr Blue I had a look on VW Heritage, they arnt in their online shop but could be worth an e-mail. Ive not heard of classic-parts.de before so I will give that a try too, thanks very much!
HARVS

Offline Mr Blue

• Forum addict
:)