Author Topic: '87 GTI 16v  (Read 752 times)

Offline Neaty

• Forum addict
'87 GTI 16v
« on: 22 April 2005, 18:56 »
I have recently purchased a 1987 valver and have noticed that it only revs to 6000 rpm!!! This confused me as my mates valver (1990) revs to 7300. But after extensive testing (ragging the tits off them), they are both equal in terms of power! It was suggested that I may not have the correct rotar arm?!

What should a valver rev to?

Another thing: I had to replace my thermostat after overheating problems, after doing so the temperature gage sits 3 quaters of the way up the gage (in traffic) driving normally it tends to be happy half way. But again after comparing it to my mates his sits at a quater of the way. Is there much difference between pre and post 90 spec valvers?

assistant is required

cheers

Paul

Offline r4_rick

• Not said much yet
Re: '87 GTI 16v
« Reply #1 on: 22 April 2005, 19:59 »
mines an 87 too, but it revs to over 7000  :grin: my temp gauge does the same as yours in traffic upto about 3/4, quite worrying at first, but i was told they all do this, it soon comes back to dead on half once on the open road.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: '87 GTI 16v
« Reply #2 on: 24 April 2005, 02:29 »
Yup halfway is normal operating temp, get your mate to check his stat and temp sensor/gauge!

Not sure about the rev problem though, I'd replace the cap and arm for starters.
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.